Do Kontrol MK3 Keyboards work with Maschine+ in standalone mode?

Options
Anomus1
Anomus1 Member Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I'm a little unclear on the functionality of the new MK3 keyboards with Maschine+ and with the Maschine software in general.

Specifically, If I'm in standalone mode:

1) Can I connect the new MK3 keyboard to the Maschine+?

2) Can I then use the browser on the new MK3 keyboard to browse the libraries installed on the Maschine+..I do this all the time on my Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 keyboard?

3) Can I play the instruments loaded on my standalone Maschine+ with the new MK3 keyboard. (For instance, can I play a synth lead loaded on Maschine+ with the MK3 keyboard).

4) Can the new MK3 keyboards be used as keyboard controllers when using the Maschine software?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,386 mod
    Options

I'm almost sure that all 4 questions are answered with a Yes, but since i don't have an MK3, just to be sure, lets ask some mods, @Kaiwan_NI @D-One ?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,886 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Anomus1 / @Sunborn asked:

I'm a little unclear on the functionality of the new MK3 keyboards with Maschine+ and with the Maschine software in general.

Specifically, If I'm in standalone mode:

1) Can I connect the new MK3 keyboard to the Maschine+?

2) Can I then use the browser on the new MK3 keyboard to browse the libraries installed on the Maschine+..I do this all the time on my Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 keyboard?

3) Can I play the instruments loaded on my standalone Maschine+ with the new MK3 keyboard. (For instance, can I play a synth lead loaded on Maschine+ with the MK3 keyboard).

4) Can the new MK3 keyboards be used as keyboard controllers when using the Maschine software?

1. Technically yes, you can connect it to anything that takes in MIDI, but your stuck with MIDI Mode.
    2. No, that requires dedicated control (integration), not plain generic MIDI Mode.
    3. Yes, because any keyboard can do that.
    4. No, absolutely not.

Specifically for all of the above the KKS MK3 would feel like a downgrade from the MK2. Ouch. 😓

Watch the Loopop review to get a better understanding, it's the best out there, your questions are answered around the 23:13min mark, https://youtu.be/G0W1jaEppBQ?si=yJxroQ8m_Aa5G5fw&t=1393

MIDI Mode = nothing fancy like browsing, scales, chords, arps, auto mapping, transport section, mixer control, maschine control, etc... its behaves the same as any cheap ordinary midi keyboard.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Hi @D-One

(My belated thanks to you BTW - a couple of years ago I followed your steps to integrate MIDI tracks in my DAW to control Maschine tracks within DAW projects)

My question - was there any pre MK3 launch, heads-up, detailed information given to prospective purchasers that their Maschine workflows would be impaired or at least uncatered for in the new S-Series hardware?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,886 mod
    Options

No problem :)

Yes, kind of... it was covered in the Ask Me Anything KKS MK3 thread, where Principal Product Manager Matt Hines and Lead Product Manager Christopher La Pietra answered user questions.

The YouTube influencers who have any sense of decency and integrity also mentioned it in their pre-launch videos.

As much as I hate this decision and everything it implies about the way NI goes about making new products, especially in regards to 'removing' expected features and/or releasing things with an unfinished feel, not having products fully integrated with each other, etc, etc.. I feel like it's the prospective buyer's responsibility to do a minimum of research on the product they potentially want to buy.

• Anomus1
    Anomus1 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for clearing this up. I’ll hold off on upgrading. Sounds like I’m better off with what I have.

I’ll definitely check out the Loopop review.