Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• DeepThumb
    DeepThumb Member Posts: 170 Advisor
    edited January 2023
    Options

Independent from the interesting platform discussion and thoughts: Does (Will) NI have (enough) (own) (freelancer) developers (at all)?

Please feel free to combine the words in brackets as you like. 🙃

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    edited January 2023
    Options

I am a Native Instruments fan of several years. Was pretty active on the last forum and the beginning of this new one. I haven’t been around in a year or so because of reasons relevant to this topic.

Clearly NI is missing the boat on iOS/iPad integration. Instead of waiting on that, I purchased a Verselab MV1 from Roland.

Bruh.

Is it more powerful than my Maschine Plus? Absolutely not (I only paid $499 for it though soooo:-). However, it is capable of doing the same things and then some in a much smaller, portable package and more importantly…it is compatible and bus powered by iPhone, iPad or Android phones/ tablets as is Roland’s Zenbeats DAW which it integrates with to extend past its small screen and hardware limitations.

I won’t get into comparing Zenbeats or Roland hardware with NI’s roster as I’m a fan of both. I will say I now own all of Roland’s AIRA line of micro synths, a new Aerophone, Max Zenbeats unlock which includes full access to all features, sounds and packs available on all platforms (Win, Mac, Android, iOS and iPad Os) plus the same sound engine Zencore that powers all of its legendary synth and sound modules.

I can be anywhere with just my iPhone and begin a track in Zenbeats, or tap out melodies, field record sound, or tweak Zencore patches that I can later import into any Roland hardware, synth, etc to continue. Seamlessly share presets from a legendary line of keyboards and drum modules, Tr8, MC101, MC707 hardware to Zenbeats software or my Verselab. Dude.

Fact is, Roland and Korg (Gadget) are both major sound companies who get it when it comes to integrating with the future (touch screen music production) and have invested heavily in making sure they offer hardware that integrates with the latest most popular devices.

I can produce, record vocals, mix and master to complete full tracks directly on Mv1 without ever looking or using a computer. If I want to work faster and have the best touchscreen in the world supercharging my workflow I just plug in my iPhone/IPad to Mv1 and now it becomes a super standalone offering a world of sampling options (access to all of my 100s of pro quality apps and synths on iPad Os, YouTube/Spotify/Apple Music stream sampling, etc) in addition to the expansive Zenbeats clip launching/linear DAW options, pro effects, mixing/master options of DAW accessible to my portable hardware.

Meanwhile, Native appears headed the other way. Abandoned iMaschine which was great. No touchscreens anywhere. No iPad/iOS integration for MK3, Micro, nothing. No portable standalone everything requires being tethered to a computer and/or wall plug. Cmon man.

As I said, I’ve been a fan of NI and I will always love the sounds but development (particularly integration) is lagging major. Like major. I’ve noticed huge sales and now presence on Plug-inBoutique for NI. I hope that earns more revenue to pay for more robust development because Roland is growing rapidly in all the right areas. Verselab/Zenbeats integration received 2 major updates in the past year. Roland Cloud Pro comes free with hardware so you get unlimited sounds for a year.

Your move Native. I’ll definitely be checking in to see what’s going on from time to time but for now I’ve found the Zen I was looking for between hardware and iPad music production workflow.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    edited January 2023
    Options

No problem on Win. I may use Maschine 2 on Microsoft Surface, which is sort of brother of iPad. No problem, touch screen, pen.... And keyboard may be attached, if needed.... I may power Maschine MK3 from Surface.

Maybe NI expects, that Apple will unify OS for iPad and Mac. Also, SW for iPad costs close to nothing. Not a great business for NI, I guesss... Otherwise iMaschine and Traktor for iPad would have much more care...

And I may also run Cubase or any DAW for Win. Also Traktor.