Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Options

Comments

• Mystic38
    Mystic38 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Agreed..

there is a saying. “just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should”

So just like you CAN sail across the Atlantic in a bathtub… but why would you?.., i think you CAN put all the complexity and interface of an entire studio into a 10” screen and use touch, but why the fook would you?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,288 Guru
    Options

And smart devices are so silly.. I mean.. why would you put all the complexity and interface of a:

Mobile Phone

Digital Still Camera

Digital Video Camera

Photo/Video Library

Music Library and Player

Personal Calendar

Contacts Database

Web Browser

Email Client

Messaging App

Etc, Etc, Etc........

Really, why would anyone find such a thing useful at all?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,798 Expert
    Options

Why people use biiig screen or many screens for music applications? Why people use dedicated controllers, controll surfaces for music applications? Why people spend thousands on keyboards with good keybed? And why they spend thousands on audio interfaces and monitors?

They could use iPad instead and be happy.... I wonder why people visit cinema, they could watch the film on iPad instead and save time and money....

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 417 Guru
    Options

I’m usually very pro Apple, bla bla bla 🤣

But…

Tablet has its uses, mostly as a controller (I’m using mine as control surface for Logic Pro X), media consumption device, web browser, e-book reader, etc.

It can be used for simple music production on the go, but studio workstation, be it Mac or PC - it is not. Simple as that.

I’d rather NI not steer away from their gargantuan task of providing VST3, HiDPI and Apple Silicon versions of their current products.

• nightjar
    Options

I want it all.

Small and portable with touch screen.

Big and spread out to multiple screens with hardware controllers.

And a common code and resources shared between each environment.

They are not mutually exclusive.

• nightjar
    Options

Hmmm... very intriguing four-pin connectors...

Today’s report from Macotakara is based on “reliable sources in China” and explained that the upcoming iPad Pro models will feature the same “housing design” and “chassis design” as the current iPad Pro. The difference, however, will be the two four-pin connectors that will allegedly be located on the “top and bottom side edges.” 

The report speculates that these new connectors could “assist in powering peripherals” that connect to the Thunderbolt/USB-C port on the iPad Pro. It’s also worth noting that iPadOS 16 will let device makers create drivers for the iPad with the addition of DriverKit support. Accessory makers could use the new four-pin connectors to assist in that process. 

What’s particularly weird about this rumor is the part about the new four-pin connectors being located on the “top and bottom side edges.” It’s also unclear if these connectors will replace the existing Smart Connector located on the bottom backside of the iPad Pro. If they do replace that connector, it will break compatibility with the existing Smart Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. 

The existing Smart Connector uses a three-pin connector, while MagSafe on the Mac uses a five-pin connector. This is yet another wrinkle in Macotakara’s claim that these will be four-pin connectors. 

This is an odd rumor that seems to lack quite a bit of context, but it’s intriguing to imagine what Apple might do with a pair of new connectivity options on the iPad Pro. Do you have any guesses? Let us know down in the comments.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

4 pins seems usb port. Maybe something related to audio since jack connector is gone too…

• nightjar
    Options

Yes, USB and/or Thunderbolt "assist in powering peripherals" is part of the speculation.

Location at the edge allows for some very nice design possibilities of iPad/peripherals as a mobile production system.

Back to NI making "dumb" controllers with the iPad providing all the brains and the main display. And the power provided by the iPad would allow for the controls on the peripheral to have active "labeling" and lighting as desired.

Smart way to design mobile creation devices that are MUCH more flexible to develop.

• wzdm.85
    wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper
    Options

As long as Native Instruments stays away from touch screen interfaces I will continue to pay attention to their products. I think the companies development path is right on point as it is. Maschine Mk3/+ hardware is pretty much perfect. In my opinion, the Maschine software could use some minor upgrades when it comes to audio routing, the sequencer and file management. Otherwise, I really don't think desktop computer workstations are going anywhere. If anything, mobile devices will just become more powerful begin to mirror 'real' computers.

I think Native Instruments should just keep doing what they are doing and wait for mobile devices to catch up.

• Mutis
    Options

Welcome to 2010 @wzdm.85

• Mutis
    Options

For those arguing against lack of memory on iPads (or M1 system again Ryzen @Kubrak ) this is an example of what smart coding vs brute force could bring to the table.

They say isn’t computer hungry in any way but just based on “spectral design”. Now imagine a chip with dedicated parts of its SoC specialized in coding/decoding audio or AI for stem separation… oh wait!

The relationship between power and features isn’t linear, in fact performance is “best result possible / energy effort put”. You can’t increase power infinitely without compromise the result due thermal limit but you can improve the energy requeriments so much related to the effort so the whole system becomes more efficient so it can perform better in the long run. Since we are in the middle of Global Warming war the option Apple proposes is to improve the whole experience dropping unnecessary weight (like a globus). If the technology goes this direction 8gb of ram will be a lot meanwhile nowadays (with desktop x86 paradigm as is) 32gb will be few…

The good news are that MetaPiano born on X86 technology so there’s still a chance but chips will require to change into more SoC with direct memory access, dedicated AI technologies and so… like Apple Silicon is. The other good news are that Apple usually misses some of these opportunities so maybe it will never happen 🤷🏻‍♂️

But when happens we can find how Djay Pro has realtime stems separation and DVS like VirtualDj but with less power consumption and more portability (iPhone, iPad…) and even fanless.

I hope this makes sense and explain why I say “NI wasn’t aware of AS transition consequences” (as disruptive technology).

• Kubrak
    Options

Question is not what is possible from technical point of view, but what is feasible economically.

x86 is here and will be for decade, two, three more because transition would cost so much, that it is better stay on x86... Firewire was way better than USB, but USB lives on and firewire.....

There are thousands of sampled libraries, to replace them with spectral or any other and maintain the sound is technologically possible, but who pays for the transition? iPad users who pay 10$ per plugin/app?

Well, it may happen. One day.

And, the biggest CPU eaters are not samplers, but effects. Good reverb need enormous CPU power....

• Kubrak
    Options

@Mutis

Welcome to 2010 @wzdm.85

Touch screens are human killers. It kills human micromovement skills. And indirectly also affect brain. It should not be used till age of 20 or so....

I bet it will be forbiden one day, like once great DDT, asbest, freon, .... They all seemed to be pretty effective, good and handy things...

• Mutis
    Options

When electricity prices are scalling worldwide due Global Warming what is feasible economically is better performance x watt… it reminds you something?

Ok so you propose to go back to button or dial phones right?

Touchscreens need improvements but are amazing for adaptive UI. The issue you point is related to how apps are build to be dopamin shotters like fb or instagram. Not the problem of music apps (until you make them social network featured).

I’m pretty confident x86 will last but for business workstations mainly and consumer electronica will go ARM includding your regular laptop sooner than later. The problem is OS. Windows tried and failed and Linux still needs to mature as audio/video platform… which OS has all the homework done nowadays? You know the answer…

• Kubrak
    Options

Most people use Win, so x86 for decades on. Intel and AMD are able to make ARM CPUs and they produce them... But there is no real demand in Winworld. No reason for pricey change...

Soon it will be possible to compare Zen4 and M2. They are on the same/similar node. So, we will see. But Winworld has different preferences and preferes bruteforce to energy efficiency. Zen4 will run way above 5GHz...