How to Adjust Routing in Komplete Kontrol/Abbey Road Drums?

Rob Gray
Rob Gray Member Posts: 54 Member
edited October 22 in Komplete Kontrol

I enjoy using Komplete Kontrol and recently tried browsing my Kontakt Drum Kits from NI in it. These include Abbey Road 60s Drums, Modern Drummer, etc. It makes it really easy to find a good kit for the situation. I have the Komplete Kontrol plugin running in Logic as 16 x output instance and all the outputs in Logic's end are expanded. Unfortunately, only the Stereo output is available for kit pieces in the Settings page of the Mixer in the Modern Drummer interface.

Does anyone know how to use multi-output routing in Kontakt within Komplete Kontrol, or if it's even possible? I think I'm using Kontakt 6 because that's what seems to load with all the default NKS settings that Native Access installed. I can't access the usual page that I use in the full version of Kontakt to add outputs. I'd love to avoid taking the drum kits and parts I liked and transferring them to a different instance of Kontakt.

Best Answer

• Rob Gray
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓

In case anyone has this issue in the feature, the plus sign shortcut opens the “Additional” view in Kontakt and Reaktor instruments, not the “Edit” view. For Kontakt and Reaktor, a third Edit option is available in the View drop down menu. I see now, Uwe, that you were trying to get me there with the “menu and view.” Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,839 mod

Hello,

you can reach the full GUI of kontakt by using the function keys if I remember correctly, f3 or f4. Also via the menu and view, there is an edit mode.

• Rob Gray

The function keys don't appear to do anything.

In the Edit Mode you're referring to it allows me to select an Output for the Kontakt instrument, but it doesn't allow me to create or route anything that the instrument would be able to access.

• Uwe303
    edited October 2023

ohh yes sorry in a daw the keys go to the daw but you can enable edit mode via that menu then you set this

then you click the plus over the mixer right next to "outputs" then you add some, batch save for plugins, then you have to restart the project, or at least reload the instance of kontakt, then you should have the outputs you need - i tested it and it at least works in cubase up to 16 stereo outputs

• Rob Gray

I’m using Kontakt within Komplete Kontrol. I’ve used the method you described in Kontakt plenty and it works, but there seems to be no real way to do an equivalent in Komplete Kontrol.

• Uwe303

Strange in my case it works perfectly with kontakt within komplete kontrol in cubase unfortunately you can't see in the picture I cutter that away, the important step is to batch save for the plugin and restart the project, of course after saving it. From that moment on it should always work. Of course add output tracks in your DAW too. If I'm today back at my PC I can describe it maybe a bit more detailed - but if you know how to add the oututs with just kontakt, you know how to do it within komplete kontrol. It should work with any plugin version but I use vst3 want do you use?

• Rob Gray

I'm suspecting this is an issue of all of Native Instruments supplied NKS files loading Kontakt 7 Player instead of my full version of Kontakt 6. Which is strange, because they loaded Kontakt 6 originally when I first installed everything. It's odd to upgrade to a new version of Komplete and lose functionality.

• Uwe303

No kontakt player has also multiple audio outputs, you can easily try by loading kontakt player directly on a track. What DAW do you use and what system?

• Rob Gray
    edited October 2023

You’re right that Kontakt 7 Player AU has an output page, but that still doesn’t solve my issue.

I’m using Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 in Logic Pro 10.7.9 on macOS Ventura 13.5. What are the steps you’re taking, from loading up a default Komplete Kontrol instance, to get those output pages to appear? I don’t see the library pane or any of the usual view options.

I was able to solve this by opening Kontakt 6 and 7 Player and making a default configuration for all instances, but it’s odd that you’re saying you can see those screens without having to go to another plugin.

• Uwe303

If you look on the picture I've uploaded, you see a button with two rectangles over the red mark, maybe you have to press this to switch kontakt to full view, maybe you need it if you want to edit something, even you have now solved it

• Rob Gray

That entire area doesn’t show up. I’ll file a support ticket.

• Uwe303
    edited October 2023

Ohh that's strange if you enabled edit mode in Komplete kontrol you should see those buttons at least.

• Rob Gray

Nope, they don’t appear.

I’m noting quite a few routing related issues (this one included) in the AU version of Komplete Kontrol, hopefully support can help figure it out.

• Rob Gray
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓

In case anyone has this issue in the feature, the plus sign shortcut opens the “Additional” view in Kontakt and Reaktor instruments, not the “Edit” view. For Kontakt and Reaktor, a third Edit option is available in the View drop down menu. I see now, Uwe, that you were trying to get me there with the “menu and view.” Thanks for the help!

This discussion has been closed.