maschine as a instrument rack performance

Options
tonyhouse
tonyhouse Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

HI all,

I'm an old owner of kore2 discontinued product

I own maschine and komplete 13 and I want to make a performance switching/mixing instruments (piano, organ, strings, violino solo) using a midi keyboard

with kore2 I fire up some channels and filter/modify and route midi signals to the instrument(s) and every preset is changing tempo and all those routings on the fly.

with program change (using a midi pedal) I can change sounds on the fly without leaving hands from keyboard, for example:

preset1=>c1-f2 piano & strings f2#-g8 violin solo ignoring all ccs (like pedal listening only keys)

preset2=>all chords organ

preset3=> all chords piano & strings (with a transformer changing velocity to not hit more than 15)

and others...

I'm not able to do this inside maschine2

I can setup sounds loading an instrument and listen to a fixed midi input/channel and change instrument changing midi channel but I cannot filter keys/ccs and/or mix them

and use some sort of midi signal to switch between different setups..

is it a personal limitation or maschine is not created to make those setups?

thanks to all that will read this and give me some hint...

Comments

• tonyhouse
    Options

mmm a lot of silence here...

is it a wrong question?

how You build Your vst(s) performances on stage?

in the past I used kore and now I reinstalled it and I can use it inside maschine standalone to get what I want + have the possibility to build some rithmic pattern inside maschine

but I wanted to use only 1 product

I see around softwares to do so like

cantabile/ VST Live Elements / freestyle / rack performer

but I wanted to know how You use (possibly inside NI software world) to accomplish this task

using maschine inside a daw (like live/reaper) will loose possibility to control the song...

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thsi sounds like something the new Soma Instruments Metaconformer could do when paired with Maschine and your controllers:

https://somasynths.com/metaconformer/

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Maschine is really not built with all that in mind, some things might be possible others not really.

Some things to note:

• Maschine ignores MIDI Channels for CC's, so different channels will never work, it bunches them all together.
    • There's zero custom MIDI filtering and especially not the ability to set velocity ranges. (the only way to do is If the instrument itself supports that)
    • I'm not sure what you mean by "changing tempo on the fly.", Maschine supports no tempo changes at all unless it's hosted in a DAW or synced via MIDI/Link, so tempo changes have to be external or manually entered (by literally changing it or tap tempo).
    • Program change can only be assigned to Macro knobs or recorded into Pattern Modulation (implies triggering those patterns to trigger the Program Change), AFAIK.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

I think you could do all this and more with Apple Main Stage on macOS.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 125 Helper
    Options

The lack of MIDI CC channel filtering was the reason why I just changed the Maschine application. It was just to much fiddling for me with Cantabile and pizmidi plugins.

• tonyhouse
    edited December 2023
    Options

thanks @tetsuneko for the hint

I'll try to understand what this processor does and how can help my workflow

thanks @D-One

I'll try to comment every single point

Maschine ignores MIDI Channels for CC's, so different channels will never work, it bunches them all together.

I discovered this when I was trying to use different channel to control different instruments loaded in the same kontakt instance....

There's zero custom MIDI filtering and especially not the ability to set velocity ranges. (the only way to do is If the instrument itself supports that)

ok clear, so every "sound" block can be used to route midi data (there are options to do so) but cannot manipulate it

I'm not sure what you mean by "changing tempo on the fly.", Maschine supports no tempo changes at all unless it's hosted in a DAW or synced via MIDI/Link, so tempo changes have to be external or manually entered (by literally changing it or tap tempo).

in kore You can create a list of presets that can store channels active/inactive, midi routing and filtering and global settings like tempo.

With a program change You can switch from presets with only 1 change (You can use a midi pedal to make program changes without moving hands from keyboard)

Program change can only be assigned to Macro knobs or recorded into Pattern Modulation (implies triggering those patterns to trigger the Program Change), AFAIK.

ok, I was talking about program change because all my kore setlist were built on that. so program change is not what I want but I want to load instruments/routings/tempo based on a sigle change

mmm ok I'll buy a macbook pro/air/whatever to test it :) unfortunately I'm on windows platform

the only thing that blocked me to switch on mac is the hard drive..actually I'm on a notebook of 2018 with 32gb ram/2tb ssd disk (upgraded in more steps from 8gb/256gb) and I have all komplete 13 ultimate loaded without using external disks

newer notebook (also on windows unfortunately) have everything soldered...

The lack of MIDI CC channel filtering was the reason why I just changed the Maschine application. It was just to much fiddling for me with Cantabile and pizmidi plugins.

I downloaded cantabile but never tried to use seriously...I'll give a chance.