USB Coonection

Lacoste Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

1/ sorry for my not so good english...

2/ my question is about the necessity to connect directly multiple Softwares or others (cc controll + touche se + rme + komplete series + etc.

And I have not enough USB connections only with my mac. So my question is : which USB interface I have to use to have the same connection as if, as an example, my CC controller is not connected directly to my mac?

Do you have an advic?,

...I think you understood : it's my first home studio :):):)


  • kara
    kara Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 29

    Most computers that are built today come with several USB ports, and USB is the interface of choice for most home and office peripherals including printers, cameras, modems, and portable storage devices.It allows data to be moved between devices. Still, USB ports can be used to supply electric power using a cable to devices that don't have their own source of power. To connect a device to the computer, just locate the port at the back of your machine, and then connect the USB connector into it. There is also the micro-USB, most notably known to charge older phones, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB type A and B, and several others. Today, we will be looking at USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and USB-C.

  • PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Member Posts: 1,123 Guru
    edited September 29

    It appears that there are MAC computers out there with no ordinary USB plugs. I did not know that prior to looking into the problem. However I do not know enough about MAC computers to nail the problem exactly , meaning I do not know if plug on MAC is USB C or Thunderbolt. But it is probably an adapter like referred below that you need (and the question is actually more an Apple question than an N.I. one I think) :

    This says both USB-C and Thunderbolt adapter :

    This says only USB-C :

    If they are technically the same I don't know , but what you need to do is to look up if your port is USB-C or Thunderbolt (they both use USB-C plug I think) and then buy the right adapter. Alas I do not know enough about Mac internals and N.I. drivers to even guarantee that it work anyway , so I will call for @Jeremy_NI and ask him to confirm !

    In the mean time then , @Lacoste , please update your question by telling what exactly is your MAC computer model so that Jeremy and others will kn be better capable of helping !

    Quote Apple :

    About the Thunderbolt ports on Mac

    You can use the Thunderbolt port on your Mac to connect a display, TV or a device, such as an external storage device. And with the appropriate adapter, you can connect your Mac to a display that uses DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI or VGA.

    About Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), Thunderbolt / USB 4, and Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C)

    The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port

    is available on some newer Intel-based Mac computers. Mac computers with Apple silicon have either the Thunderbolt / USB 4 port or the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) port

    , depending on the model. The ports allow data transfer, video output and charging through the same cable. For information about which adapters work with these ports, see the Apple Support article Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port on your Mac.

    About cables

    • Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), Thunderbolt / USB 4 and Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C): Use only USB cables with USB devices. If you use the wrong cable, the device won’t work even though the cable’s connectors fit your device and your Mac. You can use either Thunderbolt or USB cables with Thunderbolt devices.
    • See Use USB-C cables with your Mac.
    • Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2: Use only Thunderbolt cables with Thunderbolt devices, and only Mini DisplayPort extension cables with Mini DisplayPort devices. If you use the wrong cable, the device won’t work even though the cable’s connectors fit your device and your Mac.
Back To Top