Are users finding that a Roland EV5 expression pedal with S88 keyboard actually works?

keefycal
keefycal Member Posts: 2 Noise
edited March 16 in Komplete Kontrol

I have tried to follow the instructions on setting up the EV5 as in the manual, but I cannot get it to work. I note that it was rated as compatible with the S88 and after a few years of being boxed up, recently took it out of retirement.

After setting up, I find that in the 'down' position, I get a clear 'maximum' signal, but as I open to the 'up' position the sound breaks up and the indicator on my Spitfire sample editor moves erratically. Any ideas, please?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI BerlinCustomer Care Posts: 723 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey Keith,

You can check this article, there is a section where you can calibrate the expression pedal:

How to Configure Sustain / Expression Pedals on KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboards

Expression (Pedal B)

1. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    2. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    3. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    4. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 11.

The additional parameters Invert and Swap T/R allow you to further customize the assignment according to the characteristics of your expression pedal model. Please consult the KOMPLETE KONTROL user manual as well as your pedal's documentation for more info. You may also Calibrate your pedal to ensure that the KOMPLETE KONTROL software interprets the full continuous RANGE correctly.

The complete assignment for Expression is summarized in the image below.

If you do that and that your pedal is still erratic, then the pedal is most probably faulty. It coud be worth checking the pedal on another keyboard or device.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @keefycal You can check the MIDI output of the pedal in the keyboard with MIDI Monitor or MIDI Ox:

How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

Do you also get erratic readings from the pedal, even when the Komplete Kontrol application or your DAW is closed ? It's a commen issue with expression pedals (I personnaly have 2 Moog pedals where this happens.)

• keefycal
    keefycal Member Posts: 2 Noise

Hi Jeremy

Many thanks for your informative response. I have tried the MIDI Ox and can confitm that my expression pedal is identified, and whilst the pedal is 'down', I get a stable 127 displayed. However, as soon as I alter my foot position the 127 (in the Expression 'box') flickers erraticly.

Yes. The same thing happens when I use the standalone option.

Are you implying that the pedal may be faulty, or is it possible that I have an incorrect parameter setting?

Once again thank you. I would be great to resolve this issue.

Keith

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey Keith,

You can check this article, there is a section where you can calibrate the expression pedal:

How to Configure Sustain / Expression Pedals on KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboards

Expression (Pedal B)

1. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    2. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    3. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    4. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 11.

The additional parameters Invert and Swap T/R allow you to further customize the assignment according to the characteristics of your expression pedal model. Please consult the KOMPLETE KONTROL user manual as well as your pedal's documentation for more info. You may also Calibrate your pedal to ensure that the KOMPLETE KONTROL software interprets the full continuous RANGE correctly.

The complete assignment for Expression is summarized in the image below.

If you do that and that your pedal is still erratic, then the pedal is most probably faulty. It coud be worth checking the pedal on another keyboard or device.