Native Instruments Apple Silicon M1 Compatibility

Options

Comments

• David Das
    David Das Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I think I'm reading this right, but just to confirm: first-generation Komplete Kontrol keyboards won't have any problems with Apple Silicon, right?

(It's understood that the KK application is currently running in Rosetta but will eventually be Apple Silicon native.) I'm just making sure that the first-get hardware itself will continue to work and we don't have to worry about it never being compatible with Apple Silicon.

• synchronizerman
    synchronizerman Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

The part that scares me is that M2 is barely any different from M1 besides some improved specs here and there. Why would M1-supported products (basically just Kontakt and now Guitar Rig) not work on M2? If NI is programming the software correctly, shouldn't it just work on M2 straight away after M1 support is achieved? Perhaps it's inline ASM or platform-specific things causing issues, but this should not be an issue for the same architecture.

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper
    Options

There's zero difference between M1 and M2 from an actual programming perspective. If there are new instructions on M2 for the various processors, they're hidden behind the Metal and ML APIs. Use common interfaces, let the OS handle hardware-specifics. The low-level code is the same instruction set (I certainly never needed to recompile any arm64 code I built).

It's probably just a CYA thing from NI because they haven't got M2 devices to test on yet, or QA is still in progress. They don't even guarantee anything beyond M1, but what little I've tested so far works on M1 Max.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,792 Expert
    Options

Well, M2 is not much different from M1 concerning CPU, but there are differences. It should work, but nothing is ever granted for sure....

For example Traktor, that runs fine on M1, had severe problems on M1 Pro/Max/Ultra. And it is more close to M1 CPU architecture than M1...

So, I understand NI is cautious and waits to guarantie M2 will be just fine. But generally, yes M2 should run NI SW run just fine, if it runs fine on M1...

• Mike STM
    Mike STM Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi NI,

Thanks for the update. That’s good news, and appreciate the communication, let’s hope you can deliver to those timescales.

• zenluiz
    zenluiz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

It’s been too many years NI is putting out new products one after another, without probably thinking too much on the technical side of it. Like, refactoring old source code, slowly improving code, etc., things that could make all these migrations easier.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,686 mod
    Options
  • solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 103 Helper
    Options

M1 Max 16' user here. I use a maschine Jam, Maschine studio, Komplete s49MK2 and Audio 6 MK2.

also use an Kontrol s8 with Traktor pro 3.

I also use Komplete ultimate 13.

My entire setup works just as I would want. Albeit performance and low graphics issues with maschine 2 are a bottleneck.

some hiccoughs here and there with Traktor and some plugins but honestly it has worked quite well.

I feel one of the issues many may have is the fact that they don't use maschine 2 as their main daw, which I do. If you do, it all seems to behave quite well so far. so those hardware/software combos will work on an m1 max for anyone wondering. I've been using this setup since beginning of the year

• cjacoby78
    cjacoby78 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Just checked out Komplete Kontrol again with my S88mk2 after 6 monts of absence. The bug where all the transport controls and knobs behave weird in Logic is still there...

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    edited October 2022
    Options

@cjacoby78 Could you develop a little bit? What is happening exactly? Are you running Logic in Rosetta mode? Have you contacted support about it already?

• cjacoby78
    cjacoby78 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

I posted a detailed reply yesterday, that got removed I guess ... Maybe because I posted an external link showing the problem in a video.

So here we go again text only ...

I am on the latest Logic version running in Rosetta, latest MacOS on an Mac Studio M1 Max. From time to time (once every couple of weeks) the control buttons, aka Play, Record, Stop, as well as the selector knob stop working and start producing midi note events. The only way to get them to work again is removing my S88mk2 (ie. the related control surface) from Logic and adding it back again.

No I haven't contacted support yet, as I am not actively producing at the moment and wanted to wait if it goes away in the native ARM version of Komplete Kontrol once it becomes available.

I also have an Intel Mac Mini (same Logic, same Mac OS) - the problem does not show up here.

Best regards,

CJ

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@cjacoby78 Yes, I had created a new thread out of it, since it's not really the subject of this thread: transport issue in Logic on Mac Studio (M1 Max) I also asked a few more questions there.

• Eklethe
    Eklethe Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

@Kaiwan_NI @Jeremy_NI Now that we're in Q4 2022 -- any chance we could get a rough release date of M1 Native Compatibility? Really looking forward to it!

This discussion has been closed.