Komplete Kontrol MK1-61 Light Guide Issue(s)

Options
nobadmojo
nobadmojo Member Posts: 100 Helper
edited August 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi all,

I just jumped back into music creation and am having the same big issue as I had the last time with the KK light guide. As reference my DAW's are Bitwig and Studio One. I have the latest KK firmware and software installed.

If I have more than one instance of Komplete Kontrol in a project, when I change instruments, the light guide remains on the previously selected instrument. Restarting the keyboard doesnt release the light guide to the currently selected light guide. I also tried temporarily disabling the other KK instruments and that seems to sometimes work depending on the instruments but is more than inconvenient.

Unfortunately I need to use the light guide. Thats why I own this keyboard

Is there a workaround for this? A DAW setting to change? Thanks...this aint right.

Best Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,602 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is it only the LG that is not switching, does the keyboard switch the smart controls to the new instrument or does that too stay on the prev instrument?

If you open the instance of KK on a track that is not showing the LG correct, does it show the keyboard is connected to that instance?

If you click that does it now show the LG?

Reaper is not supported for KK as a smart controller, does not mean it cannot work with it, only some opf the automatic functionality (such as auto-selecting an instance when you select a track) does not happen so you need to click that button in order for the instance to be focused or press the INSTANCE button on the KB and select an instance.

Studio One I believe is supported, I do not use it but there may either be something you have not setup correct with the DAW MIDI port of the keyboard or it could be like Ableton Live where manually selecting a track by mouse will not focus the keyboard, you have to use the navigatiion on the keyboard to switch tracks or arm the track with KK on it for focus to occur.

Then there is the last thing if the plugin / library loaded in the instance has LG support? If no LG support is available you will simply see blue LEDs.

• nobadmojo
    Answer ✓
    Options

Got it! DUH!

I never got around to learning all the knobs and buttons on this keyboard, As it turns out Bitwig and Studio One do NOT have complete integration with the S61 Keyboard just like you suggested. Not everything automatically changes when you focus on a different KK instrument..you have to also make a manual change

I can switch Komplete Kontrol tracks with the Lite Guide changing correctly now by hitting Instance and selecting the instrument on the new track I am now on after switching tracks. I also discovered that previously the knob assignments were not switching either and now they now are.

Thanks for help pointing out something that turned out to be a simple and easy fix. all good now.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is it only the LG that is not switching, does the keyboard switch the smart controls to the new instrument or does that too stay on the prev instrument?

If you open the instance of KK on a track that is not showing the LG correct, does it show the keyboard is connected to that instance?

If you click that does it now show the LG?

Reaper is not supported for KK as a smart controller, does not mean it cannot work with it, only some opf the automatic functionality (such as auto-selecting an instance when you select a track) does not happen so you need to click that button in order for the instance to be focused or press the INSTANCE button on the KB and select an instance.

Studio One I believe is supported, I do not use it but there may either be something you have not setup correct with the DAW MIDI port of the keyboard or it could be like Ableton Live where manually selecting a track by mouse will not focus the keyboard, you have to use the navigatiion on the keyboard to switch tracks or arm the track with KK on it for focus to occur.

Then there is the last thing if the plugin / library loaded in the instance has LG support? If no LG support is available you will simply see blue LEDs.

• nobadmojo
    Options

Thanks for taking the time.

That's the thing..when I switch to another track with KK on it, the instrument plays correctly and the keyswitches are where they are suppose to be...the light guide just doesnt change to the new instrument..This happens with all the NKS ready instruments both from Native and 3rd party...There is a KK keyboard 'extension' for Bitwig and I;m using it and the keyboard works fine other than the light guide. I cant remember how I set it up for Studio One, but it also works fine other than this Light Guide Issue

The only other things I can think of to try are to maybe put the instruments on different channels and if that works, just make a template. or..and this is a long shot maybe put a blank instance of KK in a Bitwig Container that has a Kontakt instrument on it...or send to a Note FX container w. KK on it..something like that. I do that trick with instruments I have that arent NKS so i can play on key and scale..or stick Scaler 2 on it.

• nobadmojo
    Answer ✓
    Options

Got it! DUH!

I never got around to learning all the knobs and buttons on this keyboard, As it turns out Bitwig and Studio One do NOT have complete integration with the S61 Keyboard just like you suggested. Not everything automatically changes when you focus on a different KK instrument..you have to also make a manual change

I can switch Komplete Kontrol tracks with the Lite Guide changing correctly now by hitting Instance and selecting the instrument on the new track I am now on after switching tracks. I also discovered that previously the knob assignments were not switching either and now they now are.

Thanks for help pointing out something that turned out to be a simple and easy fix. all good now.

• JesterMgee
    Options

No problem.