HELP! PLEASE! - Moving sample files from hard drive to SSD - Will it corrupt projects/cause issues?!

Options
FJ FULLER
FJ FULLER Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited August 2023 in Native Access

Hi Native family :_)

I'm an Apple M1 Pro Chip user who has been producing for the last year on a clean slate with my newly bought Apple M1 Pro Laptop. I've been using Ableton Live 10 for many years, even through the last 2 years since Live 11 has been released in Feb of 2021.

I've recently bought the update to Ableton Live 11 and want to start using it, however I am still using Ableton Live 10 since I keep having so many plug-ins "not found" from Kontakt in Ableton Live 11..(however, that's another issue I'm not here to ask about...).

I have purchased KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition and been using for the last 1 & 1/2 years since I bought it in November 2021.

MY ISSUE IS:

I've been downloading all the VST's + Sample files from KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition to my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive since I bought it in November of 2021. NOW - my laptop's INTERNAL hard drive memory is at it's LIMIT :(

I produce a lot of music, and have culled almost everything I possibly can without touching or moving any of my Ableton Live project files & or KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition VST's & sample files to avoid dealing with my dilemma.

I want to move the sample files of my KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition from my Apple M1 Pro laptop's HARD DRIVE to my Samsung T7 SSD (solid state drive) to clear up space, as I've just become acutely aware that the total file size of the KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition is 790 GB!

I've done some research, and have recently come to the understanding that in my situation, it is best that I leave all the VST's of the KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition on my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive and ONLY move the sample files of the VST's to my SSD (since these are what makes up MOST of the bundles file size (790 GB !?!)) AND moving the VST's to an SSD after originally downloading them to my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive can cause major issues.

MY QUESTION IS:

Would relocating all of the samples files of KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition to my SSD, (which is the newly released Samsung T7 SSD), cause any file finding issues when opening my projects in Ableton Live 10 or Ableton Live 11?..SINCE all my music projects were made when the sample files were originally saved to my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive? I've found plenty of information+videos that talk a lot about the different issues with Kontakt Komplete routing and how to solve, but I cannot find ANY PERSON discussing how to do this in a way that DOESN'T cause any issues and confirm that it works 100% with no issues or corruption.

---

I've got so many project I cannot afford to lose any of the automation, plugin parameter changes OR sound selections I've made in these projects with files saved to my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive.

SO unless I can get some solid answers I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If anyone knows anything that could help me better understand, OR even tell me a way to move the sample files from my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive to an SSD which would mean no corruption of any kind, it would mean the world to me.

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU KNOW ! <3

If you could shine a light on this seemingly very dark and mysterious area of Kontakt's "Native Komplete" routing, I would honestly be thanking the heavens.

PS. I'm sorry for the long read, but I want to be extremely clear so I can give you guys the best chance to help :) Love, FJ. XO

Best Answer

Answers

• FJ FULLER
    Options

Simply put,

MY QUESTION IS:

Would relocating all of the samples files of KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition to my SSD, (which is the newly released Samsung T7 SSD), cause any file finding issues when opening my projects in Ableton Live 10 or Ableton Live 11?..SINCE all my music projects were made when the sample files were originally saved to my Apple M1 Pro Laptop's internal hard drive?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,937 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

I lack a lot of the knowledge of both how Mac OS and software works and about a lot of the specifics about the internal workings about N.I. software. However as a matter of principle and from how software generally works then most often then paths used in software are NOT relative but tends to be absolute. So when you change the location of something then you generally ought not expect previously made projects to work after that you have moved e.g. sound content !

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,787 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@FJ FULLER If you move your sample libraries the right way you shouldn't have any issues. First of all you need to make sure to format your hard drive to the correct format, which is APFS: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

Then you should follow these steps: Moving a Native Instruments Product to Another Location on Your Computer

The most important thing here is to make sure you made the correct changes in Native Access, this is how Kontakt will know where to look for the libraries and their samples. I hope that's clear enough.

• FJ FULLER
    Options

Hey Jeremy,

My apologies for being so delayed with my response...I've had some computer issues facepalm.

Thank you very much for your response :)

That is clear and something I understand how to do, so thank you again!

I understand that there are certain formats of plugins (such as AAX or AU) which are more suited to OS etc, and I myself have downloaded a lot of my plugins in the VST format rather than AAX or AU to be more compatible with other windows users I collaborate with.

Do you think if I format the HARD DRIVE TO AMPP it will cause running issues with any plug-ins I've downloaded in VST rather than AAX or AU?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@FJ FULLER The APFS format is like the one of your mac operating system drive, no worries about issues with AU, AAX, VST, VST3 or any kind of format.

• daladouire
    daladouire Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have komplète 14 ultimate I moved the banks of sounds on an external disc not of problem all functions but however and I lost the images of headers in kontakt 7 on the other hand all the sounds are there what do I have to do to recover the images?

• Jeremy_NI
    edited August 2023
    Options

@daladouire As you may have noticed, the forum is in English only. Please use Google Translate or DeepL. I've translated it. And I believe this will help: Thumbnail Picture Icons are Missing in the KONTAKT 7 Browser