How to MIDI Learn in Kontakt instrument without conflicting with the existing Host Automation?

Options
kevincroner
kevincroner Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I'm using some Kontakt instruments within Cubase 12 and I want to assign the knobs on my MIDI keyboard to certain parameters in the Kontakt instrument.

Frist, some knobs don't register at all within Kontakt when. I try to MIDI Learn, but that might be an issue with the keyboard? However, the ones that do are already pre-assigned to parameters in Kontakt and I am unable to remove them. What do I do?

Can I re-route the MIDI CC:s sent from the keyboard to the CC that's already assigned?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

For the X and Y you can re-assign or assign them here:

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by CC not being able to assign, you should be able to MIDI learn any parameter.

Answers

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro
    Options

So you are using an NI keyboard of some sort? or 3rd party?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@kevincroner Not all knobs or functions are assignable in Kontakt instruments, not all Kontakt libraries have the same setup, do you have an example? What MIDI CCs do your keyboard/controller sends?

• kevincroner
    kevincroner Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for your replies @MyStudioOne and @Jeremy_NI

I'm using a 3rd party controller (E-Mu). I have never bother figuring out what CC:s it sends, always just binding through MIDI Learn, but I've now learned I can change what CC:s to send, so I've set it up with sending CC21-36.

My case is this: I'm scoring a film using many Kontakt instruments, e.g. Straylight and Piano Colors. And I want to assign a few knobs to the values I want to adjust, e.g. in Straylight some knobs called Intensity and Reverb, as well as the X and Y sliders.

But the CC:s my controller sends are already pre-assigned to other functions in Straylight, which I can't remove.

And while I have learned I can edit my knobs for other CC:s, sure, but it's inefficient and will vary between Straylight and Piano Colors etc. (Plus, something like the Mod Wheel I can't change to another CC on my keyboard so that would be stuck with the pre-assigned function.)

How am I supposed to be able to use the available MIDI Learn when so many CC:s are taken?

Thanks in advance!

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

For the X and Y you can re-assign or assign them here:

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by CC not being able to assign, you should be able to MIDI learn any parameter.