Please help....

Options
Pat Erns
Pat Erns Member Posts: 17 Member

I recently purchased an s88 mk2 and Komplete Collectors edition. Everything seemed to be working fine at first and now there's so many random problems I can hardly keep track. I'm running Ableton in windows 11.

Lots of thumbnails were missing in my browser and I followed a guide to fix the issue. The thumbnail issue was then fixed but replaced with the issue of Komplete Kontrol telling me that it cannot load plugins...

In standalone mode KK closes when attempting to open any plugin..

In DAW it will open plugins but then the s88 will just lose connection after 5 minutes...

I have watched videos on the NI channel, I have followed the manual. I have done everything correctly and I'm being plagued with problems...

What on earth do I need to do so that this stuff can just work like it is supposed to?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,931 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

With the amount of problems that you describe I myself would probably start over from scratch. However if this an expression of something wrong with your Windows 11 installation then you would most likely be really unhappy if starting over and running into same problems again... So maybe better to try to trouble-shoot anyhow !

You did not supply any information if you just upgraded to the "Komplete Collectors edition" or if that were the first Komplete on your computer.. ???

From the top ! :

Make sure that you are logged in as an Admin with full access to all paths used on computer and drives.

Because of the problems then run all installers and programs as an Admin .

IMPORTANT : prior to any computer tinkering then please at least make a Restore Point , and prior to tinkering with registry take a back up of registry. Also generally it'd always advisable to backup the whole system drive once in a while or at least if you got something that you do not want to loose if you mess up anything !

The following instructions reflects that a lot of people have had problems updating or repairing Native Access and the NTKDaemon which are the most basic things for KK functionality and also there has been a lot of problems because some remnants has been left when uninstalling therefore I am suggesting the following cleaning and re-install procedure !

Uninstall Komplete Kontrol ! (and desirable any other offending apps also)

Now uninstall Native Access , then kill process NTKDaemon and download the N.I. reg-tool : ref. NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit :  https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows- , run the N.I. reg-tool , browse all list and remove any instance of Native Access and NTKDaemon (and Komplete Kontrol ! if present)

Then on hard drive delete all directories named Native Access from drive and all instances of NTKDaemon - including destinations such as (can not remember which exactly but also depends on version I think - 1 or 2)(Mentioned destinations are Windows 10 , not having Win 11 I can not confirm it for Win 11) :

Do that for all the following places

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ and C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Native Instruments

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ and C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Native Instruments

C:\ProgramData\ and C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments

C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files\Native Instruments

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments

Then use Windows registry editor to then remove any left traces of 'Native Access' and 'NTKDaemon'

Reboot PC

Then download Native Access 3.4.0 (and run install as Admin !) : https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/native-access-2/   OR https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/ 

Reboot PC

Then run Native Access as an Admin , then in settings make sure that your Application and VST Locations are set as described in the "How to Change the Install Locations in Native Access" , you can set Download and Content locations as you wish just as long as you have full access to destinations !

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/211577305-How-to-Change-the-Install-Locations-in-Native-Access

Then to make sure that Native Access has confirmed your credentials and stuff then Reboot Pc one more time and then Then run Native Access as an Admin and only then install Komplete kontrol

All the above alas is only to make sure that you have the best chance of making sure that you have gotten the Native Access and the NTKDaemon installed correctly !

If there persist any problems after that then that will have to be dealt with after that...

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,618 Expert
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Few issues in your midi settings

You have 2 slots for Komplete kontrol populated

You shouldn't, get rid of one

Second thing, make sure you only select the DAW port for the Input/Output in the control surface:

Third, do NOT select that same DAW port as a MIDI input port in the options below:

If you have no MIDI happening in standalone, open the preferences and check the MIDI input for the keyboard (the one with -1 on the end) is selected as a MIDI Input

Personally, I would recommend doing things like reinstalling and all that messy stuff last, once all other possibilities have been checked.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

I see this is already a "hardcore" post, but i will dare to jump in. 😊

I want to give a different approach here. Back to basics are many times solve problems.

So... the first thing you need to ask is, is your computer configured correctly for audio production?

For example, "s88 will just lose connection after 5 minutes.", is most probably caused by wrong USB setting (among other things).

So, for start, please be sure that your computer has those configuration options, as they consider basic for audio production in Windows:

• 1- Disable sleep mode or hibernation (and avoid to use them at all).
    • 2- Configure Your PC for High Performance in Power options

How to do it: Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box. Type powercfg.cpl, and then press Enter. In the Power Options window, under Select a power plan, choose High Performance. Click Save changes or click OK.

• 3- Configure USB Selective Suspend and Power Delivery

How to do it: In Power Options, expand open USB settings and USB selective suspend setting. Select Disabled for both, On battery and Plugged in drop menus, and click OK.

• 4- After doing these, restart and try again.

Note: I remind you that this is a possible solution only for your "s88 will just lose connection after 5 minutes", problem and i'm almost sure that solution 3 (USB selective suspend setting) will do the job.

Answers

• PoorFellow
    Answer ✓
    Options

With the amount of problems that you describe I myself would probably start over from scratch. However if this an expression of something wrong with your Windows 11 installation then you would most likely be really unhappy if starting over and running into same problems again... So maybe better to try to trouble-shoot anyhow !

You did not supply any information if you just upgraded to the "Komplete Collectors edition" or if that were the first Komplete on your computer.. ???

From the top ! :

Make sure that you are logged in as an Admin with full access to all paths used on computer and drives.

Because of the problems then run all installers and programs as an Admin .

IMPORTANT : prior to any computer tinkering then please at least make a Restore Point , and prior to tinkering with registry take a back up of registry. Also generally it'd always advisable to backup the whole system drive once in a while or at least if you got something that you do not want to loose if you mess up anything !

The following instructions reflects that a lot of people have had problems updating or repairing Native Access and the NTKDaemon which are the most basic things for KK functionality and also there has been a lot of problems because some remnants has been left when uninstalling therefore I am suggesting the following cleaning and re-install procedure !

Uninstall Komplete Kontrol ! (and desirable any other offending apps also)

Now uninstall Native Access , then kill process NTKDaemon and download the N.I. reg-tool : ref. NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit :  https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows- , run the N.I. reg-tool , browse all list and remove any instance of Native Access and NTKDaemon (and Komplete Kontrol ! if present)

Then on hard drive delete all directories named Native Access from drive and all instances of NTKDaemon - including destinations such as (can not remember which exactly but also depends on version I think - 1 or 2)(Mentioned destinations are Windows 10 , not having Win 11 I can not confirm it for Win 11) :

Do that for all the following places

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ and C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Native Instruments

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ and C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Native Instruments

C:\ProgramData\ and C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments

C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files\Native Instruments

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments

Then use Windows registry editor to then remove any left traces of 'Native Access' and 'NTKDaemon'

Reboot PC

Then download Native Access 3.4.0 (and run install as Admin !) : https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/native-access-2/   OR https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/ 

Reboot PC

Then run Native Access as an Admin , then in settings make sure that your Application and VST Locations are set as described in the "How to Change the Install Locations in Native Access" , you can set Download and Content locations as you wish just as long as you have full access to destinations !

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/211577305-How-to-Change-the-Install-Locations-in-Native-Access

Then to make sure that Native Access has confirmed your credentials and stuff then Reboot Pc one more time and then Then run Native Access as an Admin and only then install Komplete kontrol

All the above alas is only to make sure that you have the best chance of making sure that you have gotten the Native Access and the NTKDaemon installed correctly !

If there persist any problems after that then that will have to be dealt with after that...

• JesterMgee
    Options

Can you start by posting a screenshot of your MIDI settings in Live?

• Pat Erns
    Options

PoorFellow

I uninstalled Komplete Kontrol but I also see these

Do I uninstall these as well?

• Pat Erns
    Options

Just for reference here's some pics:

Kontakt is showing up twice

Here's my MIDI preferences in Ableton Live. This is weird for two reasons. First because Live seems to have just added a second instance of the s88 automatically, and two because DAW - 1 was not available before and now it is....

The only thing that changed is I uninstalled Komplete Kontrol from the windows control panel and then did a reinstall through Native access instead of just the reinstall through NA.

The standalone will load most plugins and show the lightguide but then when I press keys they wont play. but now the DAW Plugin seems to be working??? I have no idea it's so erratic I can't keep track of when one thing works and one thing doesn't and then they witch on me...

• PoorFellow
    edited July 2023
    Options

These are your hardware drivers so if the interface works as should then it ought not be necessary , so if then only for good measure. Also I do not consider them as tied together with the NTKDaemon problems as such. But the drivers are crucial for the hardware interface to work , where as Native Access and the NTKDaemon in a broader sense are the software and DRM control !

You only mention Komplete Kontrol , but all Native Access and NTKDaemon must be gone ! (hard drive and registry !) prior to re-install attempt !

Sorry I have to go for now , it's one hour past midnight here !

Good luck !

• JesterMgee
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Few issues in your midi settings

You have 2 slots for Komplete kontrol populated

You shouldn't, get rid of one

Second thing, make sure you only select the DAW port for the Input/Output in the control surface:

Third, do NOT select that same DAW port as a MIDI input port in the options below:

If you have no MIDI happening in standalone, open the preferences and check the MIDI input for the keyboard (the one with -1 on the end) is selected as a MIDI Input

Personally, I would recommend doing things like reinstalling and all that messy stuff last, once all other possibilities have been checked.

• PoorFellow
    Options

Hello !

So where are we today then ? Did the total cleaning of drive and registry from Native Access and NTKDaemon prior to a reinstall of all as an Admin (and checking paths and confirming access privileges) take care of the "In standalone mode KK closes when attempting to open any plugin.." ? And if so then exactly which problems remain ?

With respect to the 'erratic' behavior then maybe it is just hard to keep track ? Also , as written initially then it might have been easier to start from scratch. But if any problems remains with the plugins it might be because they too should have been uninstalled and re-installed while running N.A. as an Admin ? But the problem again of course alas might be a question of being able to clean deep enough prior to doing so (including in your DAW list of stuff if it has one) .

@JesterMgee , The OP's writing "In standalone mode KK closes when attempting to open any plugin.." , together with the "Komplete Kontrol telling me that it cannot load plugins" and the "I have watched videos on the NI channel, I have followed the manual. I have done everything correctly and I'm being plagued with problems" were what made me assess that a re-install at least to some extend were needed. There were simply too much too wrong and too much having been done that one could neither get to the bottom of as little as be sure would be a good place to go forward from !

• JesterMgee
    edited July 2023
    Options

You sound like you are providing AI generated advice to me...

Many of your suggestions are "technical" solutions where you suggest uninstall things, edit registry keys and update firmware which all appear to be suggestions an AI bot would suggest where the basics of just confirming (like above) that MIDI is setup correctly would be a better start. I just feel before sending someone on a path of removing services like NTKDaemon and doing "deep cleans" for something that seems pretty simple, looking at the basics would be better.

And adding a signature asking people to "hit the like button" for the points ladder, this aint youtube mate.

• PoorFellow
    Options

And yours 'Feel Free to Donate' is better ?

You come across as someone that have a real problem if someone have an opinion that is not yours or who dares question anything you write.

Calling my posts AI generated advice I take as a completely unfounded insult !

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

😂😂😂

Are you happy now that I don’t help anymore and I don’t “post in a row”?

How do you like the 2 new kids in town? 😏

• JesterMgee
    edited July 2023
    Options

Well I guess when one gets their prize and have boosted their post count enough they don't feel like helping anymore which is how suggested this new leaderboard thing would go when it was launched day 1 of the forum.

• JesterMgee
    Options

You come across as someone that have a real problem if someone have an opinion that is not yours or who dares question anything you write.

Only when the suggestion most of the time is for users to start with uninstalling and deleting everything for something simple.

Hey, if the OP wants to do that, power to them, but it's usually the LAST thing to suggest since it is time consuming and in some cases complex to do.

• PoorFellow
    edited July 2023
    Options

Jester can sing the lines like : "They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along" , the "People started walking" and the "I don't want to hear it"

I will take the "Doesn't really matter which side you're on" and the "You're walking away and they're talking behind you"

And you can take the rest !

Quote 1 :

There's talk on the street it's there to remind you

Doesn't really matter which side you're on

You're walking away and they're talking behind you

They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along

Quote 2 :

There's a new kid in town

I don't want to hear it

Everybody's talking

People started walking

Songwriters: Don Henley / Glenn Frey / J. D. Souther

New Kid in Town lyrics © Cass County Music, Red Cloud Music

• JesterMgee
    Options

Was that generated from an AI response :)