Can the 40W power supply replace (discontinued) 18W for Kontrol S4 mk2

Options
K-dawg
K-dawg Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi all, trying to find an answer here.

I have lost my 18W 15V 1.2A power supply for my S4 mk2. This power supply has also been discontinued from NI.

There is, however, a new NI 40W (15 V, 2.66 A) power supply designed for S4 mk3 for sale, but compatibility with the S4 mk2 is not mentioned specifically.

Are there any issues using this new 40W power supply in my S4 mk2??

Thanks in advance

K

Tagged:

Best Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,969 mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes , you can , Thomann reports the power supply as compatible for , quote : Suitable for Native Instruments' Traktor Kontrol S2 / S4 / S8 / Z1, Maschine Studio, Traktor Audio 2, Audio 6 and Audio 10 

Ref.  : https://www.thomann.de/gb/native_instruments_power_supply_40w.htm

Also , I myself bought the Native Instruments Power Supply 40W for my keyboard when buying it so no problem there !

But if you want an official warranty of compatibility and it does not say in shop then either contact seller , if not N.I. , or N.I. support and ask them !

P.S. , N.I. shop says :

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/power-supply-40-w/

System Requirements

For TRAKTOR KONTROL S3, TRAKTOR KONTROL S5, TRAKTOR KONTROL S8, TRAKTOR KONTROL D2, TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK3

This product is a recommended replacement for the Traktor Kontrol S3 12V power supply.

Notice that it , even when it is a 15Volt product, STRANGELY enough says : "This product is a recommended replacement for the Traktor Kontrol S3 12V power supply." ?!?!?! (Which I CAN NOT WARENT FOR MYSELF ! )

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

The most important thing is that voltage and polarity of the power supply must match. Amps and watts have some flexibility. However (and without been 100% sure for that specific case), usually the rule is the opposite. A higher watt supply, can replace a lower watt supply.

Using a higher watt supply is perfectly safe. This is because most devices are designed in such a way as there is the maximum power that can be drawn by the system. A higher wattage charger can supply this power easily and hence you won’t run into any issues.

A lower watt supply is a different issue. Short answer is yes, you can use it. However, it is definitely not a wise option as the performance of the device might be severely affected. It is not ideal to use a lower wattage charger. If you do it, do it only as a temporary solution.

It is much safer to find a generic 18W 15V 1.2A power supply and use this one.

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,408 Expert
    Options

As long as the polarity, voltage and plug are the same it's fine. There should be no downside in having more Amp.

So yes, I would assume it will just work. If you want to be sure double check the polarity. You can compare this symbol on both power supplies:

Would be weird if NI suddenly switched it around .. but yeah.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,969 mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes , you can , Thomann reports the power supply as compatible for , quote : Suitable for Native Instruments' Traktor Kontrol S2 / S4 / S8 / Z1, Maschine Studio, Traktor Audio 2, Audio 6 and Audio 10 

Ref.  : https://www.thomann.de/gb/native_instruments_power_supply_40w.htm

Also , I myself bought the Native Instruments Power Supply 40W for my keyboard when buying it so no problem there !

But if you want an official warranty of compatibility and it does not say in shop then either contact seller , if not N.I. , or N.I. support and ask them !

P.S. , N.I. shop says :

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/power-supply-40-w/

System Requirements

For TRAKTOR KONTROL S3, TRAKTOR KONTROL S5, TRAKTOR KONTROL S8, TRAKTOR KONTROL D2, TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK3

This product is a recommended replacement for the Traktor Kontrol S3 12V power supply.

Notice that it , even when it is a 15Volt product, STRANGELY enough says : "This product is a recommended replacement for the Traktor Kontrol S3 12V power supply." ?!?!?! (Which I CAN NOT WARENT FOR MYSELF ! )

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓
    Options

The most important thing is that voltage and polarity of the power supply must match. Amps and watts have some flexibility. However (and without been 100% sure for that specific case), usually the rule is the opposite. A higher watt supply, can replace a lower watt supply.

Using a higher watt supply is perfectly safe. This is because most devices are designed in such a way as there is the maximum power that can be drawn by the system. A higher wattage charger can supply this power easily and hence you won’t run into any issues.

A lower watt supply is a different issue. Short answer is yes, you can use it. However, it is definitely not a wise option as the performance of the device might be severely affected. It is not ideal to use a lower wattage charger. If you do it, do it only as a temporary solution.

It is much safer to find a generic 18W 15V 1.2A power supply and use this one.

• Sunborn
    Options

You can also check online to find the original power supply from another source.

Google search "18W 15V 1.2A power supply for S4 mk2", i immediately found something

• K-dawg
    K-dawg Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you all for your swift comments.

I have ordered the new 40W power supply from NI.

@Sunborn Thanks for the link, but I couldn't find any suppliers in Europe, the link you sent me was coming from Nepal :P

I avoided ordering a generic one, as I couldn't confirm polarity and account for the potential differences with the barrel connector. Appears the cost would have also been similar when considering shipping to the Netherlands!