Ozone 10 not working when mixing in dolby atmos?

Options
Rey
Rey Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited July 2023 in Other Software & Hardware

For whatever reason Ozone 10 doesn't load on the master channel when the project is mixed with dolby atmos

Tagged:

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,376 mod
    Options
  • Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 256 Pro
    Options

Probably need more info, like daw in use, bitrate of project files, error, ozone 10 version, etc.

• Aymara
    Aymara Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

What? Are you living on the moon or is this a translation issue?

No offence, but Dolby Atmos is heavily pushed by Apple Music & Tidal, so for sure I use it for music production. Especially Spatial Audio / binaural listening gets more and more popular.

BUT:

Ozone (up to 11) is Stereo only, so it makes no sense to try to use it on the master channel of an Atmos project (no matter which DAW).

To Learn more about mastering of Dolby Atmos projects I highly recommend this video:

Tip: Create a Stereo Mixdown of your finished Atmos song and use Ozone on that. Once done you will have an imagination how you should master your Atmos song and above video will help you to learn, how to do that. One way might be ...

At least that's the cheapest way. Waves, FabFiler & Flux have alternatives available, but much pricier and with a different concept.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,376 mod
    Options

Ok, let me re-phrase it, because indeed, it doesn't sound correctly as i wrote it.

You should not use Dolby Atmos while you create music, but only afterwards, in post-production! This is what i meant actually.

When you create music, at least on the first stages, you need things to be as "clear" as possible, otherwise you are risking a bad mixing. ;-)

• Aymara
    Aymara Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

There are two approaches:

Upmix a finished Stereo project or start with Atmos and down mix to Stereo.

Both approaches have pros and cons. I already prefer the later because it makes sure, that both mixes have the exact same length. But I master Stereo first and take that as a reference for Atmos mastering, which is much more complicated.

Fact is, Apple Music is full of bad upmixes, many done with upmix VSTs, which give zero advantages over Stereo ... they just sound widened. I want an Atmos song to be noticeably different from Stereo, that uses the full possibilities, that Atmos offers.

A good example of a superb Atmos mix is Time Bridges from Boris Blank's new album Resonance.