KONTAKT MUST BE RETIRED

Options

Comments

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 451 Guru
    Options

I don’t agree that Kontakt needs to be retired. I think Kontakt needs to evolve at a faster pace than before. I love the new browser in K7, it freed me from using the abomination of software which is Komplete Kontrol 🤣

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

And it actually does evolve faster than before, have you checked out the changelogs starting with 7.1? :)

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

It's indeed just an update of Elastique library from v2 to v3 in case of Kontakt 7. "Keep Formants" option was there in Kontakt 6 as well, but only if HQ mode was enabled.

All the other things you noted in your post are just how Elastique is apparently, as far as I can tell.

Also you do have an option to use the legacy/K6 mode, it's in Instrument Options->Voice Handling.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,308 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Native Instruments through Izotope now is also the proud owner of Iris 2 , too old I know and not-updated and now retired apparently because Izotope would not pay programmer to re-write from scratch - or something like that from rumor.. But I personally think it a pity that it is no longer published..

Ref.: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/products/iris.html

I also like the Arturia made Pigments....

Ref. : https://www.arturia.com/products/software-instruments/pigments/overview

Though I realize that none of those are Kontakt and may not be what you want or describe.

Personally I don't care if they rename kontakt or what (as suggested by someone else) , but I'd like it to stick around in some way or shape ! But I do agree with nightjar that Kontakt ought to evolve and if AKA (the OP) were not so negative on the program then maybe that could also be described to cover the changes he/she wants that made him/her post in the first place !

• Rotomot
    Rotomot Member Posts: 36 Helper
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the Time Machine Pro Legacy option. It's great to have that option.

Still wondering are there any audio examples where the new Kontakt 7 default time-stretching algorithm (Elastique v3) sounds better than Kontakt 6 (Elastique v2)?

The loud clicking noice at the start of sample, when using the Kontakt 7 algorithm, could be some bug in the way Kontakt is using the Elastique 3 library. Hard to believe such noise could be some inherent "feature" of the Elastique 3.

The Action Strings 2, that was advertised by NI as potentially having improved quality, seems to use the Kontakt 6 Legacy algorithm.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,098 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

So - I just updated Kontakt to 7.40 via Native Access 2. Can anyone tell me how the "zoom" portion of the UI actually works?

EDIT: Found it under the Workspace Mgmt icon (the one that looks like a stack of three blocks).

You can choose different zoom levels here for your instrument UI (75, 100, 125% etc). On the upside - it looks like it will help the 4K/Higher Res crowd. Downside is that it looks like ****** with any instrument that does not conform to the new Native UI concept - which is probably zero instruments right now.

Zoom up some old timer like Action Strings etc and you will see some very choppy nasty graphics and cut off UI elements like the keyboard appears at 100% but disappears at 125% etc.

Definitely a welcome direction here but a work in progress until this "Native UI" language is in use by all Kontakt instrument providers. It will be a mixed bag for almost all onscreen instrument scaling to find a happy medium that is useable. Some folks may not mind at all.

Nice work NI

VP

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,861 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Oh cool it's been released :)

Zoom is via the menu shown below, and you can choose between 3 quality/performance ratios. At the moment for most instruments you will get a bigger screen size but as they all use bitmaps you can expect to see some pixellation, although many more recent instruments (eg Lunaris 2, Playbox, Hypha) use higher def graphics by default so it's less noticeable. Where it works best though is for Factory Library 2 instruments and Omnia, both of these use the new 'Native UI' framework I mentioned above and EvilDragon has written about at more length elsewhere. These libraries can be zoomed to the full 200% and still look good. Yes, there are still many elements of the Kontakt interface that need hi-res assets like fonts and icons etc (even new ones like the stupid shop icon which is pleasingly ironic) but this will come.

• Paul B
    Paul B Member Posts: 71 Advisor
    edited June 2023
    Options

A quality image can be sized up a fair amount if it is resampled with a good algorithm when enlarging (which I expect 'best quality' does). Irfanview does this well – I have used it for years to view smaller images full screen with great results. 200% should look good on any image that started at decent quality, so much that it will take close examination to tell they're not the same. If there is what seems like a noticeable difference in quality, I'd take a closer look at the original image. I resized one of my third party instruments (Soniccouture Moonkits) to 200%, and the image looks good but text is pixellated. If I look closely at the original image (much closer than anyone would be to their monitor, because it's impossible to work that close) the text is just as pixellated at 100%. I usually don't notice because at a normal viewing distance the pixellation isn't as easily seen.

Regardless, this is a good step forward.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options
  • Vocalpoint
    Options

+100. None of these 5 are even close to Omnisphere's stock library - never mind all the excellent third-party patch package out there.

VP

• JesterMgee
    Options

Not just the content available, Omnisphere is well thought out, has a good workflow and even without the manual is pretty easy to figure out with all the really complex modulation matrix stuff and sub settings well "hidden" and out the way until you need to do something. I could easily ditch my entike Komplete bundle for Omnisphere if I had to... Could actually almost ditch my entire plugin collection for Omnisphere. Just wish they would make an FX module to use their FX

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,410 mod
    Options

Omnisphere it is not really a sampler, it is more of a Rompler, like Nexus (of course Omnisphere is far superior),

• Vocalpoint
    Options

True that. I am amazed at just how deep one can go with Omni if the proper time is invested. There is literally no sound you cannot conjure up and many that you thought were not possible - become possible.

It truly is the ultimate synth canvas.

VP

• JesterMgee
    edited June 2023
    Options

Completely wrong.

Omnisphere is 100% a sampler, well it can be loaded up with samples in the same way as Halion can and has full keyzone mapping, velocity layering and the ability to layer samples and synths over multiple layers ias single parts.... So a little (hella lot) more than just a "Rompler" and I wouldn't even place it anywhere near Nexus which is just a sound player and nothing special in the least.