Komplete Kontrol MIDI not saving when loading up a project

Options
wilki
wilki Member Posts: 35 Member
edited June 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

This has only recently been happening, but is very frustrating.

Any instrument I add from Komplete Kontrol doesn't play back when I have saved and reloaded a tune.

As an example, I added a bassline into Ableton from KK using Massive yesterday. Saved the project. When loading the project back up today to work on, the instrument doesn't play.

So frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced this? Sure, I haven't changes a setting, but if any has any ideas please let me know. This happens all the time now, with any instrument.

Best Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

That wont be the issue. The "Instrument Rack" is the old method of loading KK instances where the plugin had to be wrapped in a special instance of an instrument rack, this was only for older MK1 keyboards and not the latest keyboards which will work simply with the plugin from the plugin menu.

The concern I see if that "VST - Shortcut" listing Komplete Kontrol along with the other listed Komplete Kontrol instance:

This may point to multiple versions of the KK VST 2 plugin which if you have an older one could be causing an issue when you reload.

Open your Native Access, check where you have set the VST2 plugins to be installed then check BOTH those above plugin locations and see which one is not correct and delete it. If an older version plugin is loaded after a newer version has been installed this can cause numerous issues in a loaded project so that is where I would bet the issue is going to be.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Interesting to know. I still use both an MK1 and MK2 and have the MK1 and custom scripts installed on my machine, actually have the MK1 connected at the moment because the touch strip control for some effects is better than using the MK2 (where they decided to not bother making that TS useful in any way) and cannot say I have noted an issue in my usage, however I work more "traditionally" and just use mouse and keyboard and will click focus just out of habit if it's not focused so never really notice but good to know.

I've also been troubleshooting these things for 10 years both on my end and on the forums here, my background as one of my jobs is 20 years of technical product support so looking at details and deciphering clues is what I have done for half my life so I just noted the multiple plugins and having issues myself with that it's what stood out as a potential issue.

Just confirm also that the plugin you have is the latest and matches the installed standalone KK version. If you open the standalone and check the about info (click the little NI logo in tod right) and compare that with your plugin, that will confirm it is the same version or not.

VST2/VST3 I would love to say use VST3 since VST2 is depreciated BUT there are issues in KK with VST3 and also with just some plugins in general, but certainly in Ableton Live Komplete Kontrol has several problems from hard crashes when using some plugins that have an Arp, plugin GUI that just does not display are just 2 major problems with the current VST3 version of KK. So if you are Windows I would say for the moment VST2 version is more reliable, rarely seen an issue there in years, hopefully VST3 will improve

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,755 mod
    Options

What is your system?

• wilki
    Options

Just a DELL Inspiron PC. Only 8GB Ram, but never had a problem before.

I freeze and flatten tracks when CPU runs hot, but that's not very often.

Using Ableton 11.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@wilki Are you using the vst2 or vst3 Komplete Kontrol plug-in? When you say that the instrument doesn't play, can you give more details? Can you see the instrument?

• wilki
    Options

Hi Jeremy - Please see below.

I can see the instrument on the sequencer and even the notes I have drawn in, but nothing plays.

When I click into the KK VST,

The instrument has completely gone?

Makes no sense? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

• wilki
    Options

Just to provide an update - I went into the desktop version of KK and rescanned everything and checked for all updates.

I also went into Native Access and checked for updates.

I fear I have made it worse as upon loading an old tune (that plays nothing from any KK track) I get the following message when opening the KK VST

Something else has changed also. Normally when I create a new MIDI track, A KK plugin gets automatically put into the Instrument rack. This isn't happening anymore?

If I do it manually and drop a KK VST into the instrument rack only the KK VST2 plugin works. KKVST3 provides the result show in the image above.

Feel like I am in a real mess here now. Any help appreciated. Thanks

• wilki
    Options

Is there anyway of confirming what the samples were called so I can add in a new KK device into the instrument rack and then locate the instrument.

For example, at the moment, my KK tracks are listed like this..

Nothing is playing and I cant add the instrument in again as I have no idea what I used.

• wilki
    Options

Hi - Can anyone provide any theories on this please. Really stuck!

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

You mention that you were using a Komplete Kontrol VST rack instrument in Ableton? Did you install scripts at some point for Ableton's host integration with Komplete Kontrol? Unless you have a MK1 keyboard these scripts are no longer needed. Everything is automatic, as you can see in this article: How to Integrate KOMPLETE KONTROL with Your DAW

The best in this case is to reinstall Ableton it will overwrite these old scripts.

You should also make sure to run Ableton and Komplete Kontrol as admin: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

Finally, please try loading the VST2 version and VST3 version of Komplete Kontrol. Does it make a difference?

• wilki
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks so much for responding Jeremy.

OK, I have gone through the 'How to integrate KK with your DAW' link that you sent.

One thing I have noticed that I think is significant....I cannot see the instrument rack versions of KK in my in instruments rack

• wilki
    edited June 2023
    Options

The files are in my Common Files location though??

When I go to my Plug-Ins folder I actually have 3x Komplete Kontrol VST's listed (although 1 is a shortcut) ?

No idea why I don't have Komplete Kontrol listed in my instrument rack folder though. This has to be the issue surely.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓
    Options

That wont be the issue. The "Instrument Rack" is the old method of loading KK instances where the plugin had to be wrapped in a special instance of an instrument rack, this was only for older MK1 keyboards and not the latest keyboards which will work simply with the plugin from the plugin menu.

The concern I see if that "VST - Shortcut" listing Komplete Kontrol along with the other listed Komplete Kontrol instance:

This may point to multiple versions of the KK VST 2 plugin which if you have an older one could be causing an issue when you reload.

Open your Native Access, check where you have set the VST2 plugins to be installed then check BOTH those above plugin locations and see which one is not correct and delete it. If an older version plugin is loaded after a newer version has been installed this can cause numerous issues in a loaded project so that is where I would bet the issue is going to be.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@JesterMgee I used to do quite a lot of Komplete Kontrol troubleshooting not so long ago and in some occasions remaining scripts for the MK1 (and MK2 before vesion 2.1.2) would actually affect Mk2 functionality, like track focus and such, but you're definitely right, the issue is probably not coming from that, probably a more simple plug-in administration issue.

• wilki
    Options

Hey both.

You absolute legends. I just wanted to know that deleting one of the VSTs that I have (the shortcut one) has fixed the issue. Thank you so much for your help.

Moving forward, does it matter which VST plugin I should use? VST2 or VST3 or does it not matter.

Both seem to work.

Thanks again both. You have made me very happy here! Was worried I had lost so much of my old music.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Interesting to know. I still use both an MK1 and MK2 and have the MK1 and custom scripts installed on my machine, actually have the MK1 connected at the moment because the touch strip control for some effects is better than using the MK2 (where they decided to not bother making that TS useful in any way) and cannot say I have noted an issue in my usage, however I work more "traditionally" and just use mouse and keyboard and will click focus just out of habit if it's not focused so never really notice but good to know.

I've also been troubleshooting these things for 10 years both on my end and on the forums here, my background as one of my jobs is 20 years of technical product support so looking at details and deciphering clues is what I have done for half my life so I just noted the multiple plugins and having issues myself with that it's what stood out as a potential issue.

Just confirm also that the plugin you have is the latest and matches the installed standalone KK version. If you open the standalone and check the about info (click the little NI logo in tod right) and compare that with your plugin, that will confirm it is the same version or not.

VST2/VST3 I would love to say use VST3 since VST2 is depreciated BUT there are issues in KK with VST3 and also with just some plugins in general, but certainly in Ableton Live Komplete Kontrol has several problems from hard crashes when using some plugins that have an Arp, plugin GUI that just does not display are just 2 major problems with the current VST3 version of KK. So if you are Windows I would say for the moment VST2 version is more reliable, rarely seen an issue there in years, hopefully VST3 will improve