Kontrol S4 Mk3 whine on booth outputs?

Arlo
Arlo Member Posts: 3 Member

Hello! I'm sure I'm crazy for buying an S4 Mk3 this deep into its product cycle, especially when it still has lingering issues that were never resolved. But there's one that seems to be unbearable, and I'm hoping someone knows the answer...

I'm having the same issue as this question on the original forum:

The gist is that the unit is outputting an unbearable high-pitched whine that's super audible with no music playing, but you can tell it's still there when playing.

For me, it's just the booth outputs only, but I'd like to use the booth so I can crank the master to see the levels. I can work around this if needed, but it seems odd that the booth outputs have this whine.

Best Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,592 Expert
    Answer ✓

What is the Booth output connected to?

What kind of cable are you using for the Booth connection? Is it a balanced TRS cable to balanced input on some speakers or an unbalanced cable?

My suspicion would be a feedback or interference issue which my guess is due to using unbalanced TS cable to an RCA lead? That is a guess but I'd do some tests like try disconnect the PC/USB cable and see if the noise stops, if it does then it's a grounding issue. Also, disconnect everything else apart from just Booth to Whatever it connects to. If you are using unbalanced cables you may need a ground loop isolator on the line

• Arlo
    Answer ✓

Just a follow-up for future visitors looking for a 100% sure answer. It was the unbalanced cables. I had unbalanced 1/4" out of booth going into RCA on the Rokits. I just changed that to balanced 1/4" to XLR on the rockets and it's completely silent.

Thank you, JesterMgee. Your tip was VERY helpful and much appreciated.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,592 Expert
    Answer ✓

What is the Booth output connected to?

What kind of cable are you using for the Booth connection? Is it a balanced TRS cable to balanced input on some speakers or an unbalanced cable?

My suspicion would be a feedback or interference issue which my guess is due to using unbalanced TS cable to an RCA lead? That is a guess but I'd do some tests like try disconnect the PC/USB cable and see if the noise stops, if it does then it's a grounding issue. Also, disconnect everything else apart from just Booth to Whatever it connects to. If you are using unbalanced cables you may need a ground loop isolator on the line

• Arlo

I think you're right. The cables I'm using are not balanced. I have balanced 1/4 to XLRs showing up tomorrow and will see if that solves the issue. My guess is it works when I reverse the cables because they're then going into the unbalanced input on the speaker, which probably has a built-in way to handle ground noise.

• Arlo
    Answer ✓

Just a follow-up for future visitors looking for a 100% sure answer. It was the unbalanced cables. I had unbalanced 1/4" out of booth going into RCA on the Rokits. I just changed that to balanced 1/4" to XLR on the rockets and it's completely silent.

Thank you, JesterMgee. Your tip was VERY helpful and much appreciated.