Why no transport controls for FL?

chadmtl
chadmtl Member Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello!

I use an S-61 MK2 with FL Studio and I really love it. Even without using the custom script, i get the most meaningful controller functions with the Mackie Universal controller settings.

I will always have a mouse close by (it sits nicely on the controller) but could almost eliminate the need for a keyboard except for ONE thing:

I constantly need to use the CTRL - ALT & SHIFT buttons.

I was wondering if there has been any consideration to adding these buttons to future controllers, or if there's a way to assign those functions to buttons on my controller.

In a side question, FL Studio is the most downloaded DAW - why won't NI make (or pay for) a custom script that can be accessed easily in the menu?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Not likely they will include modifier keys for the OS, that would need the keyboard to send commands to a daemon and not a script within a DAW. Most DAWs have no API to access things like that.

Best solution would be to just make a custom solution, use either a simple midi controller and something like Bome Midi Translator to convert MIDI to key strokes or put something like a Stream Deck on the keyboard which you ccan easily have custom keys and macros that can change depending on the application in focus. I use BOTH these solutions, works very effectively. Another solution could be a better mouse with some custom buttons and just assign the keys to the buttons.

In a side question, FL Studio is the most downloaded DAW - why won't NI make (or pay for) a custom script that can be accessed easily in the menu?

Likely because it is one of the most pirated...

From what I understand the reason there is not an integration option for FLS is because it does not offer a decent API method for such things, especially for the functionality of KK. Some things can be done but I think there are issues getting info from the mixer etc and possibly it is too hard basket to bother. I think some functionality can be achieved using the MCU device option but that's likely as far as it will ever go.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Not likely they will include modifier keys for the OS, that would need the keyboard to send commands to a daemon and not a script within a DAW. Most DAWs have no API to access things like that.

Best solution would be to just make a custom solution, use either a simple midi controller and something like Bome Midi Translator to convert MIDI to key strokes or put something like a Stream Deck on the keyboard which you ccan easily have custom keys and macros that can change depending on the application in focus. I use BOTH these solutions, works very effectively. Another solution could be a better mouse with some custom buttons and just assign the keys to the buttons.

Likely because it is one of the most pirated...

From what I understand the reason there is not an integration option for FLS is because it does not offer a decent API method for such things, especially for the functionality of KK. Some things can be done but I think there are issues getting info from the mixer etc and possibly it is too hard basket to bother. I think some functionality can be achieved using the MCU device option but that's likely as far as it will ever go.

• chadmtl
    chadmtl Member Posts: 9 Member

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that!

You're right on with the suggestion for a steam deck or macro keyboard.

Great info!

Thanks again!