Kontrol M32 not triggering plugins. How to set up?

zikbuff
zikbuff Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I'm a komplete novice at all of this new tech and had the M32 for more than a month now. I still cannot get it to trigger my plugins. I had to upgrade the Kontakt 7 player just to remove my "Le Parisien" instrument from Demo status to work in full.

I also want to ask is it possible to configure my old Yamaha PSR-s710 midi keyboard to work with NI tools and instruments? Any help most appreciated.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    Answer ✓

If you want to use some of the M32 functionalities (i.e. self assigned knobs) you have to use KK software as a plugin in your daw and inside of it the NKS instrument you want.

You can also use the M32 in Midi mode for other instruments or to control your daw, but those functionalities are tied to KK

Answers

• LostInFoundation

Is the m32 in controller mode? Or even seen as a midi input in KK?

Any midi keyboard can be used to play instruments

• zikbuff

Ahh let me see... I'm not even aware it should be in "controller mode"! Thought I could just plug in and play!! How do I that? Is it one of the 3 button on right? I see "Plug-in Midi", pressed it, but nothing. Tiny display shows "Template 1 MIDI Mode"...

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

If you are using KK standalone, check that your keyboard is selected as a midi input in preferences. Any midi device can be used, just needs to be set as a midi input.

• zikbuff

Thank you for responding guys!! I think the whole confusion for me here is which application to use with Komplete M32. Does this mean I should be using the M32 only with the KK, to load n use other plugins? @JesterMgee (as a midi input), would that be check Reaper, or KK preferences?

I now have quite a stash of instruments from NI in Native Access. I'm using Reaper DAW. Far as I read, one can use the KK app with the free-bundled samples/loops. So I upgraded Kontakt 7 (Player) to be able to use full funtionality of a "Le Parisien" instrument, without limitations of Demo access you get with the free Kontakt 7 (Player). The Demo status has disappeared, yet the sequencer still seems inaccesible..

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

If you want to use some of the M32 functionalities (i.e. self assigned knobs) you have to use KK software as a plugin in your daw and inside of it the NKS instrument you want.

You can also use the M32 in Midi mode for other instruments or to control your daw, but those functionalities are tied to KK

• zikbuff
    edited May 2023

Ah Thanks @LostInFoundation !! I seee. Thing is that's what they don't tell you at the begining! But I'm still not sure which preferences I'm supposed to be checking for midi input, KK's or Reaper's? I mainly want to use the M32 for quick midi play/rec/program of Session Horns and other seperate NKS instruments!

Hmm, I think I'm getting it now.. "Preferences" IN REAPER!!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

one of the issues I’m not stating the daw/software in use but yes if you are using a daw, check the daw preferences and only select the MIDI input of the keyboard not the DAW port.