Apple announced Logic Pro coming to iPad.. time for BIG rethink of KK and other NI products

Options

Comments

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 148 Advisor
    Options

I think it's great news for all Logic users, and Apple is setting new boundaries with this.

However if you want to step in, and you're not owning a compatible iPad it could become quite costly and it might be a better idea to just get a MacBook Air instead. Almost equally portable (minus the touch functionality), equally powerful, a regular OS with all the advantages as far as music software goes, and no subscription needed to get Logic.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod
    Options
  • Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

I suspect they are thinking about introducing subs when Logic 11 comes out on desktop, this is to test the water first

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    Options

I personally hope that there is a well-designed and priced OPTION to subscribe to all of Soundwide to use in a unified macOS/iPadOS environment.. with AUv3 accelerated DSP via Apple Silicon GPU.

Might take another year to get there.. but it could be spectacular for both Native Instruments and Logic users alike.

A vibrant and forward-thinking expanded market opportunity for NI.

• cnnryng
    cnnryng Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Any software optimised to work on M1/2 should in theory play very well on iPad from day 1 with little modification, the biggest challenge really is the interface - and the Kontrol keyboards are a good example of how NI can adapt the visual interface from Kontakt to work with knobs etc, so I don’t see why they couldn’t develop one adaptable visual interface to work on iPad across all plugins. Fingers crossed!

(and please can we move on from arguing about subscription models? It’s all anyone all over the internet seems to be focused on and it’s taking away from discussing the exciting potential of having logic on a portable device)

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options
  • tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru
    edited May 2023
    Options

Just realized I still had an Element One subscription going, even though I stopped using it. Canceled it and reckon that 5$/mo will find a better use in LCP iOS 😎

I hope getting all that audio software ported to Apple Silicon will mean that further ports to iPadOS AU3 will be easy for developers/manufacturers.. Companies such as UA, Arturia, NI are no doubt already looking into this.. there will be a lot of new users to sell to real soon

• nightjar
    Options

Yes... this can be a big market for NI if they can jump on it soonish.

As you said hopefully NI's work in getting their products Apple Silicon ready has done a lot of the groundwork for AUv3 and iPad OS. And to simplify this path toward GUI and touchscreen, perhaps focus on the Play series stuff first and the new Kontakt 7 Library.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Would be iPad users willing to pay the same price like Mac users? If not, it will hardly happen...

• nightjar
    Options

NI needs a Kontakt 7 sub plan that is just the content of the new K7 Library and the Play series, $10/month. Win, macOS, iPadOS... scalable UI for all platforms, and touchscreen optimized when on iPadOS. One sub good for all 3 platforms.

Get this done ASAP.. Much of the Komplete content will take much longer to get ready and some will never make the jump. Sub price can move into higher tiers as more content becomes prepped.

• nightjar
    Options
  • Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Maybe Kontakt 8 or 9.

• nightjar
    edited May 2023
    Options

That'd be FAR too late. Gotta be before year end 2023.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru
    Options

This is precisely the reason LCP on iPad is subscription based. iOS app ecosystem pricing is too dissimilar to macOS app pricing, and needs another approach than trad desktop software