Rig Kontrol 3 Midi Issues

JDan1els
JDan1els Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I have Rig Kontrol 3. It works fine as an audio interface, but it is not recognized at all as a MIDI controller. I can use it in Guitar Rig 5 (switch presets, etc.), but I can't assign midi in other programs. I know that it can be used in Guitar Rig 6 and others DAW applications, and I would like to do it, but I can't. Please help.

I run it on Win 10, controller editor version 1.7.4

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

From the second image you sent I see it is not seen even by Controller editor. Was it connected when you took the screenshot? If yes, how? (Usb direct to computer, usb hub?)

• JDan1els

I tried to connect in different ways. At the screenshot it is connected directly

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,292 mod

Rig Kontrol 3 was discontinued years ago. It's not supported on Guitar Rig 6. You should be able to use it as a standard MIDI controller.

If it's not recognised at all by your computer, you should try reinstalling the driver:

• JDan1els

Seems like i find the problem but idk how to solve that. Drivers for rig control 3 are not installed correctly on Windows 10, and specifically the folder "rig3avs.inf" is not installed in the system. It is located in the folder with the program files, but not in the Windows driver system folder. I need some kind of digital symbols that I do not know where to get

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,292 mod

Well, these drivers were never made for Windows 10, the Rig Kontrol 3 was discontinued even before Windows 10 and is not guaranteed to work then.

• rjaquezsuit
    rjaquezsuit Member Posts: 1 Member

The issue you are having is common. Native Instruments will not offer support, but it does indeed work in Guitar Rig 6. I would advise finding a MIDI monitor you can use to view the messages across the wire for verification. (There are plenty of free choices on any OS)

1. Make sure you're using the latest Rig Kontrol 3 Driver (it installs the Rig Kontrol 3 Control Panel Software as well)
    2. You will require the Control Editor 1.7.4 for Legacy device support and most importantly calibration. (I need this for both the Rig Kontrol 3 and Kore 2 controller)
    3. The Controller Editor interfaces' ability to calibrate is counter-intuitively placed. Click on the expression pedal's control "area" within the GUI (CC4 by default), and then select File > Preferences... > Controller Tab (This is the same way to calibrate any external pedals attached to the Rig Kontrol 3) > Click "Recalibrate" and follow the dialog's instructions. You should see MIDI messages after this (within your MIDI Monitor), for the range set when moving the pedal up and down like any normal MIDI expression pedal. I don't know why this step was necessary, it may have something to do with the driver? (Before doing this, only the switches were working, but not the expression range.)
    4. Make sure Guitar Rig 6 has the MIDI Input selected (or if using a MIDI Monitor as a pass thru, that interface designation instead) for Rig Kontrol 3.
    5. Right-click on the control you would like to affect and select "Learn Midi"
    6. Press the Switch

There are some things to keep in mind. The LCD will just show "conn" when active (no preset numbers). It is somewhat delayed (for me) when selecting presets (next and previous). Setting the toggle or expression range for the expression pedal will trigger a warning if either has been preset. For instance, if you set the toggle switch for the expression pedal to turn a Wah effect's power button "on" in the virtual rack, when you then go to set the range on the Wah effect's knob, it will trigger a warning. Tell it "no" (so that it doesn't reset the toggle for the switch [defaults to CC64]) and continue to set the expression range. I have found that it is not as responsive as it was in Guitar Rig 3 -> Guitar Rig 5 with regards to switching presets. The expression range and setting the toggle switches is quite responsive for any other feature. I am not sure if other known working MIDI foot pedals, such as the Behringer FCB1010, have issues with latency in preset selections. If so, I would think this is an issue with the software. I personally preferred keeping the Rig Kontrol 3 and getting it to work for the simple reason that I like that it also has an audio interface and MIDI in to receive clock/sync.

• sikozptl
    sikozptl Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited January 29

I recently bought a Rig Kontrol 3 Harware and I was trying to use it as a midi controller only. But this thing is not sending any midi data out. My computer is a mac with sonoma 14.2.1 ans m1 pro. The plan was not to connect it to a computer and to connect it to a berhringer audio interface via midi in.

How can I get the Rig Kontrol 3 to send Midi Data?

• Badform
    Badform Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited February 2

Hello, I have had rigkontrol3 for a year. . is unique and I like using its switches - controlling the clean crunch channels in my plugin revaluator. my system is osx bigsur 11.7.10. one day (January 2024) suddenly rigcontrol stopped working - so . Installs Rigkontrol 2.8.0 drivers. and it gives me an error (unknown installation error. contact developer). However, rigkontrol 3 suddenly then works beautifully in Controller Editor 1.7.9. and talks to the system. Unfortunately, this is where my problem begins - in order for my DAW FL Studio to receive midi messages from rigkontrol 3, I have to restart the system. but then controller editor 1.7.4. after restarting the system it does not see rigkontrol 3, it has a red LED line and is dead. I'm at peace, I believe it will work on my Mac... and meanwhile everything works fine on Windows 10. (You know, my entire mini studio is Mac-based). I am attaching some files from the unpacked 2.8.0 file. driver for Mac. maybe someone knows how to activate/force this "kext" or "plugin" file to revive rigkontrol 3? maybe some script in terminal so the platform can find communication with the mac? I am asking for help from a developer who will help me, I am even willing to do a lot to find out - why? I am attaching a screenshot with the extracted files from the pkg drivers2.8.0 package. maybe some script in terminal so the platform can find communication with the mac?