Stereo Audio Interface for iPad with USB C

2»

Answers

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 639 Pro
    edited May 2023

have you looked into the Audio4c interface??

it has 2 usb-c ports that allows you to connect to a windows/Mac/ipad and run them in tandem

one of the usb-c ports also provides sufficient power for the ipad to keep it charging up.. at least thats how i understand it

i do have an old ipad, but this has the old apple lightning connection, but the audio4c interface works well with the ipad

• Radiouli
    Radiouli Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

Is it also compatible with the iPad and the Traktor software? In any case, it's too expensive for me, thanks for the tip anyway...

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,246 Expert
    edited May 2023

It is compatible and almost thought for it (it allows to connect 2 devices simultaneously (e.g. a computer and an iPad) and pass the audio and midi between them)

One of the 2 ports it’s even labeled “iPad”

I bought a second hand one (the older version with usb A which is identical (the c in the new one’s name is for usb c)) for less than 100 bucks. So maybe you can find a good offer

• LostInFoundation

There is (or was). The suggested Audio4c is one and the (now discontinued) Novation AudioHub was another one for example

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Is it working? Are there even windows tablets with i5 or higher processors that run full windows?

I have a MS Surface (which in facts is a computer, it isn’t considered a tablet even by MS, at best an “hybrid”) on which I run my Music making programs, but all the windows tablet I tried were not powerful enough to run these kind of programs (mounting crippled versions of windows, like NT or bad processors like ARM).

But last time I tried was some years ago.

Are today windows tablets running full version and with decent processors? Do you have any suggestion?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

Surface Pro is tablet as mach as iPod is. We may argue if it is tablet, or it is PC.... It is delivered without keyboard and without pen. So, it is tablet. One may buy aditional pen and keyboard and it makes things easier and moves it towards ultranotebook. But one may do the same with iPad... So....

I have Surface 7 Pro (i5 10th. gen [4C/8T], 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, passively cooled) and it runs Traktor just fine. Perfectly. I also use it for sketching in Maschine SW. It is able to run few plugins.

I have Win10Home, but it may run Pro or Win11Home/Pro.

• LostInFoundation

Ok. You were talking about Surface.

I don’t want to dive too deep into the other discussion. For me (and for MS itself, since it declared this), a tablet is a device thought to use merely without input devices. And its programs/apps follow the same rule. Surface runs programs thought without the finger touch in mind (exception made for a couple of basic drawing apps put there to say “hey we have a touchscreen”), as MS declared itself.

Enough to say this. We see tablets in a different way 👍🏻

Thank you for the explanation

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

What you describe is not the HW side, but SW side. If one makes Win App that works well using fingers, it behaves just like you desire. Traktor is not designed so. Most Win Apps are not.

I haven't tried Traktor using just fingers, it would be probably challenge in some cases as screen is small for that. But I use it with pen without problems.

I may use it with Z1 in the deep woods, or with S5 and D2s in the club. It serves the both scenarios just fine. And everything in between.

• Radiouli
    Radiouli Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

It would also be important: that the interface is compatible with djay/algoriddim, i.e. I would like to assign the channels...both channels stereo.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

I have an AudioHub but not an usb-C iPad.

Lightning should work as expected if NI kept the mfi driver inside the Traktor Dj app (1&2) but Z1 has no midi mode AFAIK. My advice was for S2/4 mk2 and S2/3 mk3. S4mk3 isn't class compliant AFAIK.

So, aside Z1 which I forgot isn't midi class compliant, but focusing on usb-C issues my advice keeps being using a hub in between so the iPad will recognise better the peripheral since these hubs had another driver (chip not SW) to manage the ports which will handle with the usb-C iPad connector chip to show the peripherals properly. It should work directly since these are one of the benefits of usb-C but lightning being Apple protocol/port usually gives less issues for audio/midi AFAIK (one more time!)

• LostInFoundation

NI products in general aren’t too “finger friendly” 😉 (exception made for Replika, that if I recall correctly was made with also touch screens been kept in consideration. And effectively works good)

The only Music apps I know that have been explicitly developed with touch in mind are Studio One and Bitwig Studio (and they work very well indeed). Probably there are others, but I’m unaware of them

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 166 Advisor

A lot of the newer (non-Softube developed) FX have interfaces you can scale up, so they can work reasonably well with touch.

M-Series iPads (even the Air) with any Storage Upgrades are expensive enough that you really have to think twice about whether or not it's worth it vs. just getting an M1 MacBook Air - possibly pre-owned - at a discount.

But the USB-C thing is just not a consideration, because Interfaces with USB-B ports can simply be connected with a USB-B-to-C cable that costs almost nothing. If you want to charge at the same time, then obviously you're going to want to get a powered USB Hub or splitter to pass it through.

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

I don’t know if I get your comments correctly ☺️ but I’ll try to answer anyway:

About touch: it depends what you mean about “reasonably”. Talking about NI plugins, they all “work” with touch, but if, when trying to adjust a parameter with virtual knobs on screen and your finger, the position jumps here and there how it wants, it becomes unusable. That’s why I mentioned Replika: its knobs work with fingers very fluidly.

About iPad vs MacBook: for me it’s not a matter of price at all. You buy an iPad if you want touch apps and mobility. Not because of the price

About usb c: the op asked about interfaces for IPADS WITH USB C, not interfaces with usb c. You’re right anyway about usb b to usb c cables 👍🏼