Note dropouts at beginning of playback on ARM version Logic Pro Komplete Kontrol

Options
Izzie G
Izzie G Member Posts: 28 Member
edited July 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello everyone, I've been having this issue for quite a while. I'll have a project loaded in the ARM version of Logic Pro, and I'll have tracks that are using Komplete Kontrol. When I hit play, it'll play like the first note, but quickly cut it off. I've attached an audio example below to illustrate what's going on. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Latest versions of everything, to my knowledge. Komplete Kontrol, Logic, Kontakt, MacOS, etc. This is my first time posting, so I hope this works. 😊. Thanks for your time and any advice/help given.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey people, Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0 is released and fixes this issue, full changelog HERE.

Answers

• Izzie G
    Options
  • Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Izzie G I've seen some other users having similar issues, some of them fixed it with Logic settings but from I can tell yours seem Ok, hopefully my colleagues will figure it out.

• echopoint
    echopoint Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. I was able to work around it by shifting all of my tracks to start on measure 2 instead of measure 1. Still, pretty lame.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited May 2023
    Options

Question for both of you, if you use the same instrument in Kontakt do you get these issues? Does it also happen in Rosetta mode? What settings do you have in Logic? General + Audio ?

• Izzie G
    Options

Hi Jeremy, I tested it out in Massive, and no issue there, it just happens with Komplete Kontrol. I don't have this issue in Rosetta mode. As far as my audio settings go, I have a Clarette, an iRig stream pro, and I have my external headphones, as the mac calls it, going to a pair of iLoud Micro monitors, with KK, the issue is still there, no matter where I send it to. My buffer size is 256, Automatic Processing Threads, Process Buffer Range is set to small, Multithreading is set to playback tracks, and my summing is High Precision (64 bit). I hope this helps.

• jdn44
    jdn44 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I too am getting this issue. Once it loops back to the beginning it sounds fine. Only when you first hit play is when it happens. It does not happen in Rosetta mode.

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 253 Pro
    Options

Traditionally, it's always been common practice in DAWs to have 4 bars of silence at start of your session. This allows MIDI and sample loading and whatnot to "catch up" for start of playback on bar 5, as actual bar 1. Makes it easier to adjust Logic settings for stuff especially for us old folk trying to use MPC style timing/quantize which is a bit looser than some settings. Have not had issue with this on my M1 Mac Ultra, using empty 4 bars at start of all tracks. I am using my komplete kontrol keyboard with power adapter, and plugged into OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub, plugged into one of the M1 mac ports.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

^^What @Simchris says is a perfect workaround.

I am not a Logic user but opver the years I ahve had similar issues like this with all kinds of plugins, usually sample based plugins like (cough, East West, Cough) which have always been sketchy on playback.

Just as SC suggested, an empty bar at the start is always a good idea if you have this issue, something I always do out of habbit anyway since in days gone by there were some DAWs / Trackers that required things to be initialised (such as automated controls like pitchbend) that may not reset correct if you stopped playback mid project.

It could have something to do in how the stream or loading is requested when transport is first hit, could be a bug in KK or the loaded plugin but if a small gap at the start fixes the issue, just go with that even if it does seem lame, workarounds are what keeps things moving in this industry...

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    edited May 2023
    Options

Workaround, yes, but only for starting the playback. If you're working in the middle of a session, it's extremely annoying, since there are sometimes dropouts or sometimes an arp doesn't start to play (i.e. the clock signal is getting lost). Very hard to concentrate on producing. It all started some months ago, unfortunately I'm not sure whether it is a Logic issue or an NI issue. I need to do more tests with non-NI-instruments to find out who is to blame here.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

Hmmm, not experienced that myself, but I’m on windows in Ableton and have enjoyed trouble free operation for years. Noted a lot of problems with people using logic lately, not many others complaining about other daws so my guess would be it’s a logic issue but that’s a guess.

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    Options

I just had some time to double check and found that when inserting the very same plugin once "direct" and once from within Komplete, it only emits the problems for the Komplete version, the "direct" plugin continues to play.

This sounds more like a problem with Komplete then.

• Rollo
    Rollo Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Definitely a bug in Komplete Kontrol. I replaced it with Kontakt using the same patch and all works fine. Has anyone heard back from NI on this?

• Izzie G
    Options

Hey guys, sorry I've not been keeping up with the forum here. I think NI is currently investigating the issue. They said that they'd get back to me to at least let me know what's going on. Have any of you experienced the same with Maschine? I'm receiving mine on Wednesday, so I figured I'd ask, so I know what to expect ahead of time. Thank you for any info. But yes, we've tried the loading the same patch in my case, in Massive directly, and that works as it should. So I've come to the same conclusion, that it is a KK thing. I do have Reaper as well, I could drum something up, and see if I get the same deal going on there too, if any of you haven't tried that out already.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@echopoint @jdn44 @mickeyl @Rollo I've contacted you by email, we definitely to investigate more on this issue and the more info we can gather the better.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar issue of drop outs at the start but I've managed to narrow it down to the following.

It's only Play series instruments.

The logic track with an instance of KK that is highlighted will play correctly from the start, the rest won't.

If no track with KK is highlighted, neither will play until it loops back.

Hopefully the pictures explain this.