Different folders for 32 and 64 bit VSTs?

Foldyman
Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

Just setting up my default VST folders in Native Access...

I'm wondering whether I should share the same folder as my DAW, and whether there's any functional difference if you choose (as appears to be the default) to have seperate folders for both 32 and 64 bit VSTs.

Any experince of this, or good strategies for it?

Also, anyone know if VST3 support is in the pipeline?

Cheers,

A😃

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert

It is recommended (and good practice) to install ALL your VST2 64 bit plugins to the same folder which you can easily setup between all software you use. You can create sub folders if you like but ideally it's just easier to maintain all plugins in a single folder location.

It is also recommended to leave 32/64bit plugins separate from each other since almost all programs can only read one or another so your 32bit plugins will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\... Almost all software now uses 64bit plugins so that is the one you want to ensure is installed.

VST3 will likely happen hopefully this year, some NI plugins are VST3 already and slowly Komplete and Maschine are allowing VST3 plugins but who knows since there is always macOS throwing other spanners in the works which takes up devs time. Need to wait for all this latest mac M1 saga to be over.