How do I switch between Browser / Plug-in/ Track in Ableton?

Thijs0308
Thijs0308 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I have not been using my Komplete Kontrol keyboard for long, but keep on running into the same problem.

Whenever I launch the Komplete Kontrol plug-in in Ableton all the buttons light up (Arp, scale, browser, plug-in, track, etc.) and the keyboard functions properly (it lets me browse Komplete Kontrol and lets me alter plug-ins). The problem arises whenever I press the track / instance control button to manipulate my daw or use my mouse to interact with my daw. After doing so I am unable to go back to browser / Plug-in, the buttons are not lit up anymore and I cant use the scale / arp features. No matter what I do I cant get it to function again besides deleting the plug-in and adding it back in again.

I have been searching all over the manual and the internet to see what I am doing wrong, but haven't been able to find anything about the matter. Is it something dumb that I have missed, or is this simply the way in which it is supposed to function? I would greatly appreciate any help, Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

It should allow you to switch back to the plugin control if you have a track selected that contains a KK instance. Sometimes using the keyboard track navigation to nav away and back to the track with the instance will bring it back active (still have to press Plugin to switch).

Otherwise it is possible to manually select focus for an instance by pressing this:

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

@Thijs0308 What is your operating system? Have you tried with another USB cable / USB port? How did you set up Komplete Kontrol host control in Ableton? Are you running Ableton and Komplete Kontrol as admin? How to Run a Program as an Administrator

• Thijs0308

Thank you JesterMgee,

Your reply has already brought me closer, but I am not quite there yet. After pressing the button you suggested I was able to use plug-in and browser mode. Since I have done so however, I haven't been able to switch back to track control mode, no matter what I try. Even restarting doesn't change anything.

Thank you nontheless as I didn't know the button you suggested exists.

• Thijs0308

So, Jeremy

Operating System: Windows

At your suggestion I have switched around USB Ports (To no avail 😓)

This is how I have the host control setup:

And although I usually run Ableton without Admin priviliges, I have tried doing so for a couple of times, but sadly it does fix my problem. Would love to hear back from you.

• Thijs0308

Does not fix my problem*

• Jeremy_NI

@Thijs0308 Can you show what is selected as Control Surface input & output? I mean, can you show what is selected when you click on the arrow ? It should be: Komplete Kontrol A DAW. Unfortunately once selected you can't see the whole denomination of the port. There is also no need to select the keyboard's inputs as remote.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

Deselect all of these:

You should not set the DAW port for the MIDI settings, it is only used for the DAW script control

Unfortunately once selected you can't see the whole denomination of the port.

One trick to know which port is selected as the DAW port is it takes on the name of the script in the MIDI settings below so you can see the first MIDI port is called "Komplete_Kontrol_A Input" and since the other port is the MIDI port that means the DAW port is set as the control surface so that is correct at least.

• Jeremy_NI

@Thijs0308 Any udpate on the issue?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

No news from you for a while. We’re closing this thread now. If you still need assistance on that topic, please get in touch here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_KKontrol

This discussion has been closed.