USB No midi from Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I lost my cool for a second there ... 🤡

Nah, do a reboot, with only USB connected. Re-install the driver if necessary and I have a good feeling the lord will provide you with all you need. Hope.

• Custom Blue
    Custom Blue Member Posts: 33 Member

Stay Cool LOL I will try that and as you say lets hope the Lord will provide. Have a good one and I will let you know how it goes. Oh and thanks as I appreciate your help on this one.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,596 Expert

@Custom Blue, You are correct in how you are thinking here and that is the terminology that has always been used when troubleshooting, when used in the "Standalone" application, we mean outside a DAW. It is already a given the keyboard can work as a basic midi device without a computer (in a standalone way), issue you have is within the box so all terminology and talk would refer to what happens in the computer, standalone software = the supplied app outside the DAW.

Just FYI for those that do not own an MK1, the MK1 keyboard REQUIRES the power supply and is not a USB powered device therefore, it will always be a given the PSU is in place if the keyboard is powered up. The MK2 keyboard CAN be bus powered IF the USB port has the available power required by the keyboard and the cable is the original suppllied cable. Any variance to this always needs to be certain.

The driver should install when Komplete Kontrol is installed but seems something is not right. I have a spare MK1 keyboard but have never tested it on Win11, I ahve an MK2 keyboard on my win11 machine and an A series on my Win10 / mac machines but MK1 is boxed and in storage.

I would suggest first power off the keyboard then try disable your UAC protection (just type in UAC in the start/search and set the slider to OFF.

Install the keyboard driver manually from here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/drivers/audiohardware/Komplete_Kontrol_420_PC_p.zip

Power up the keyboard and check if it makes the USB connection sound and if it detects the driver. From here, i'm kind of out of ideas since it seems the KB is being "detected" as there is a device in your list and your NIHardware service is running (tho you could try manually stop and start that again.

May be one to wait for support on.

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

A colossal error on my part regarding the power supply and thanks for stepping in.

But the stand-alone part is correct. And I don't think that it's a given or they wouldn't make a point of it, by making it a section in the manual, 9.4. My mistake was missing the disclaimer in section 5.1.

You were right the other day. Time for me to remove myself from this forum.

• JesterMgee
    edited February 2023

Lets not get too stuck down in technicalities as it is again confusing the situation I think. Not about being "right" and again, no offence intended as sometimes even a guess can put someone on the right path. I have worked in technical support for over 20 years on a whole host of pretty technical garbage and often it is not a case of fully understanding what the issue is, it is knowing what the issue is not, but knowing the product and the terminology is key.

Completely understand/agree that in the traditional sense a "standalone" device is something that works without a connected host, that is how the manual puts it in that excert and that is what we all understand. However in the context of troubleshooting the software side (this issue is more a software problem than hardware as it appears the keyboard is powering up and being detected) the term "standalone" as in "test using the standalone Komplete Kontrol app" simply means don't do the test within the DAW using the VST/AU plugin.

This is also referenced in the same manual you pulled the same info from:

So the OP seems to know what they are doing with regards to testing "standalone", let's leave it as that (as I am sure we all understand the technical reference to "standalone" in the real world) and check off the other points of contention such as driver installation, making sure Win11 security features aren't blocking something.

I presume the MK1 is Win11 compatible (it does not state it is, only it is supported by Win10) but the driver was last updated with Win10 compatibility in 2015 so no idea 100% is it is Win11 compatible. I could climb up into my ceiling storage area and get my MK1 down for a test but not something i'm keen to do at the moment, it's a 39c day here so the ceiling will be a little too hot to crawl around in to get my MK1 keyboard.

• Gee_Flat

I don't want to get into a long winded discussion over semantics, but today you say sometimes a guess can put someone on a right path, but a few days ago you said...

"While the intention may be good, without knowing the software it can potentially end up confusing things by just throwing out random answers without understanding the software/question, possibly best to leave it to those that do have more of an understanding". -- JesterMcGee

Thing was I didn't throw out a random answer, I just asked a question.

Anyway, you were right. On occasion I'll pop in if I see something I read and am 100% sure I can help. Today was a sign for me to shut up.

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

Custom Blue... sorry for the misinfo.

• JesterMgee

No need to pull up a quote of what I said, I know exactly what I say, and that is why I said sometimes a guess can yield an answer but ideally it's better to know the product and take an "educated guess" based on experience or knowledge rather than the first thing that comes to mind or the first term found in the manual since as this example proves, a guess can just send people down the wrong rabbit hole, or searching for things that dont apply to the situation. Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.

• Custom Blue

No problem at all and thank you again for trying to help.

• Custom Blue

Many thanks again Jester unfortunately all things remain the same as in still no midi. As you say lets wait to see what support have to say. In the meantime I have new USB cable arriving tomorrow although I am convinced it isn't the cable but worth trying before making any further decissions.

• Custom Blue

Oh I also rolled back some of the latest Windows 11 Updates just in case they had caused the problem but unfortunately they were not to blame.

• Custom Blue

In Windows Device Manager :-

I have no idea what the details mean under the information but I suspect that it means that the driver is not installed correctly. Here it is if anyone wants to copy and paste this message anywhere.

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service nikkbdusb for Device Instance ID USB\VID_17CC&PID_1360&MI_00\7&357ABF1F&0&0000 with the following status: 0.

• JesterMgee

Yeah not 100% sure on that either.

I ahve just connected my MK1 up to my Win11 machine, all I did wwas disconnect my MK2 and connect the MK1 and it's working for me:

Shows this as the only MIDI device but opening KK and it is all working, can press Browse, select instruments and control them. Havent tested in a DAW but all seems to be fine on Win11. Did not have to install the standalone driver either, whatever was installed along with KK is working.

• Custom Blue

Thanks Jester for checking that out and there lies the problem. My Komplete Kontrol is not showing under the Sound, video and game controllers. It is showing in the Universal Serial Bus Devices. New cable arrives today and hopefully I also hear something from support. Bye the way this was all working perfectly a few days ago and I cannot think of anything that I did to cause this to happen no new programs apart from Installing Cakewalk by Bandlab and uninstalling it. LOL but I can't blame them for that.

• Custom Blue

On one reinstall it did appear but with an exclamation as below. The moment I reinstalled the driver it disappeared.