What does NTKDaemon service do?

Options
124»

Comments

• Wlodzislaw
    Wlodzislaw Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

It is 8.03.2024 and I have the same problem, daemon crushing and no way to install Native access and update some libraries.

Wlodek

• Wassup
    Wassup Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

What does it really do? From my experience it breaks a stable Native Access. Forced update are a no no in the DAW world.

Not sure why they have to mess with it all of the time.

I did find a fix on one system. NTKD in Add/Remove programs claims it was already removed. I used Windows Installer Cleanup to really remove it. It's like that NI registry tool. Try that and the update worked.

It seems issues are with older systems. I have yet to try it on the other failed system.

All NI porducts seem to work except for older systems that show a black screen in Kontakt 7. The issues many have with Native Access give NI a black eye.

They could serve the end user much better if they are allowed to keep the version of NA that is working. Forced updates are worse than a virus.

Another thing that work for me was installing the Legacy NA and download and install the new version.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,209 mod
    Options

All NI products seem to work except for older systems that show a black screen in Kontakt 7. The issues many have with Native Access give NI a black eye.

This is most likely down to incompatible graphics cards/drivers. Kontakt 7 needs Direct 3D 11.1 (Feature Level 11_0) rendering or above. If that's not present you see the black screen.

• Sir Hannes
    Sir Hannes Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

The Install-Procedure is insane. How many times I had to allow any rights to your Software, how many times it needed my password!

Step by step I am unfollowing NI. This UX was one of the worst of this young year.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,822 mod
    Options

Sounds more like an OS security problem to me. And your post would have been of a lot more value if you had told what is your computer type and OS version !

• SF_Green
    SF_Green Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Hey mods, I just noticed you added that screen cap to my original post. What gives? It's especially curious since I'm on a Windows machine and you added a Mac graphic.

• cliffspencer
    cliffspencer Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

How about telling us what the daemon does. I am extremely reluctant to grant privileges to an app that was installed without my permission and is apparently involved with updating a VST plugin. The thinking seems to be "don't worry about it, just give us the root". I think it is a bit arrogant.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,133 Expert
    Options

"The gist of it is that the functionality was decoupled from the interface, and two separate entities operate the system: one is the new dark-themed Native Access (NA2) interface you see today, the other being the NTK Daemon, responsible for activating, downloading, installing, and managing your products. You can think of it as NA2 being the button and the Daemon the wiring and the cogwheels. This allows us to work in parallel without blocking each other, allowing for swift UI iterations, and installation improvements without blocking all other work from going through."

(Above quote is from the thread Dev Talks: Why We Transformed Native Access)

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 360 Pro
    edited March 28
    Options

One of the things the Daemon appears to do is scan all your VST 3 plugins...why NA should want or need to do that is beyond ridiculous seeing as it does nothing to VST's it doesn't install.

It's very good at doing it though...it does it for 7 minutes and 20 seconds on my computer..... That's so helpful it should maybe get a Darwin Award.....

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

Does it really? And - are you saying it does this when you launch Komplete Kontrol for a typical scan?

I need to check this out....

VP

• tempsperdu
    edited April 18
    Options

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/143658#Comment_143658

Someone elsewhere suggested using this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...nloads/procmon

I did and got quite a shock. I'd long suspected that the reason NI products were so slow to load was due to the amount of plugins I had. This kinda confirms it.

And the same thing seems to occur with Kontakt 7, Maschine and Komplete Kontrol all of whom's load times are catastrophic for me.

I posted an open question about NA 2 busy GIF in this forum aimed at NI staff, but of course no-one answered it….

• replicant6
    replicant6 Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 18
    Options

Interesting. I also have a ton of plugins and have been dealing with absolutely atrocious load times for Kontakt, Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, and Battery 4. Unsure if it's related, but it gives me another avenue to explore.

I also get NTKDaemon using constant CPU in the background for like 20-30 minutes sometimes after rebooting, or at random other times, so it would make sense if it's scanning my plugins, though I don't really want that, or at least I want to be able to limit what it's scanning.

Additionally, at random times NA 2 just spins forever which now I'm assuming is also related to some background process that NTKDaemon is running.

I've been so disappointed with the load times in recent versions that it keeps me from using the plugins as much as I want to. I keep thinking they'll eventually fix it, but it sure has been a long time now.

• tempsperdu
    Options

replicant6

I've been so disappointed with the load times in recent versions that it keeps me from using the plugins as much as I want to. I keep thinking they'll eventually fix it, but it sure has been a long time now.

From what I can tell, there is no desire/will/time/interest regarding fixing this. The general theory is that one or more plugins is responsible for causing this behaviour and the idea is for the user to try and find it/them, presumably meaning then they can't use it/them.

If anyone else is experiencing these issues it would be good to speak up as at the moment it is thought only a few users are having problems.

It's incredibly hard to understand how a programme that can't use the majority, if not all, of your VST3s should be scanning them at all, nor why users aren't given the option to turn off scanning.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,295 Expert
    Options

I frankly doubt it’s just few users having the issue. The main difference could be that not every user has so many plugins, therefore the time they have to wait is far shorter…and they just accept it.

In my case, I have quite an amount of plugins, but not in the order of thousands. NI scanning time has always been longer and more problematic than the one of other programs having to scan the same plugins.

But knowing who I’m dealing with (and that they don’t seem to think that when one of their programs have bugs is their duty to fix them), I almost gave up and accept that when I want to use them my only choice is to wait for them to load…being lucky that the wait is just in the order of some minutes and not close to the almost unusable experience you have.

Is this correct? (users having to bend at the usual law of “the one in the position of power (in this case, the company) dictates the laws”)

Hell no!

But…after so many attempts to see things changing, by politely showing them where the problems are and how to reproduce them (without success), by trying to show them we care about the company health and the way it is perceived (without success), by calling them to their duties (without success),… I’m frankly at the point where I’m hopeless and without the strengths to continue this fight (yes, the windmills comes clearly in mind in this case…)

It just really seems they don’t care at all. And that they not only don’t care about users and their duties, but also that they don’t have any kind of love for their own products.

The only kind of reasoning behind their decisions seems to be “if it costs us X to fix things, we won’t fix”. No matter if this will make the whole brand being trash talked all over the internet, risking in the (not so long) term to lose users and eventually completely fail and having to close the whole thing. What matters to the investors is the “here and now”. The longevity has no value. As long as the investment will bring to a fast profit (and the easiest way to make profits is by cutting expenses, not by making good products. A bad product with a large profit is more valuable for them than a good product with a smaller profit), no matter the future. The future will always have another thing to invest into, even if the previous one must be shut down.

What’s even more frustrating… the only way to have a say for users would be to ask things united, showing them we don’t accept things. But, au contraire, every time those kind of things are brought to attention, the first to start criticizing and attacking are exactly other users. Sometimes guys who just don’t have the same issues (that’s typical human behavior: as long as something is not touching us directly, we don’t care and we can’t understand it. And we are not even able to foresee that if things are not working correctly, maybe one day it will be our turn…), sometimes guys who just have fun in treating others as stupid.

Therefore…if even between users we don’t agree on what NI should do when things are not working correctly (with people telling others that if you buy a malfunctioning product you are accepting everything), how can we hope NI will feel the duty to do what should be the correct thing?

• tempsperdu
    Options

Couldn't agree more, sad though that is....................................