What does NTKDaemon service do?

Options

Comments

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

It’s absolutely not a Microsoft or Windows issue. Drop the copium.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

Actually - all the issues in these threads - WERE the fault of the applications. That's what I wanted to point out.

As others have already stated - this is not a MS problem whatsoever.

VP

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Anyway, NTK works fine on my two computers and on most others... Mind that NA2 is used by several hundreds of thousands users.... My wild guess is that less than 0.1% has troubles. Otherwise, there would be more complaints...

NI probably even cannot reproduce the behaviour....

• Milkman
    Milkman Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    Options

Sorry, 30 year sysadmin here. I dont use "reliability history", I use system logs, i/o performance metrics, and any other hard data I can access. Ive had no problems, according to windows logs, and according to my experience. I also use win10, and will NOT be using 11 until Im 100% forced.

I think there are some other environmental issues here...

• SF_Green
    SF_Green Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

With the latest build, I still saw 6% CPU usage immediately after booting, and with my S88 off. It was the highest CPU usage service. That makes me highly suspicious of this program. What the heck is it doing if it's using that much CPU time with nothing NI having started?

I think this is going to push me to go ahead and get a kill-switch for my internet connection. They're cheap enough, and I'd like more control over when my internet connection is active.

• SF_Green
    SF_Green Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I'm to the point where whenever I need to run Native Access I go ahead and let it install 'Dependencies', i.e. NTKDaemon, and then when I'm done using Native Access I immediately uninstall NTKDaemon. The constant high CPU usage is either poor programming or Telemetry or other form of spying. In any case, it's unacceptable to me.

• dominicqc
    dominicqc Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I uninstalled the version of NTKDaemon from my window and that solved my problem

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 278 mod
    Options

We've discussed lately that we plan to address the NTK Daemon lifecycle at the end of this year, including whether it needs to open on startup every time. We're going to keep investing in what we've established as goals for now in Q2/Q3, and we'll get to the lifecycle work after that.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

I still cannot install Komplete on my MBP because I get tons of Yellow "Something is wrong with the Installer Service" error messages as well as the Red "Installer service has failed" or whatever, and the installs are completely junked up. It also causes junk to build up on the system drive, filling it up so the install eventually fails for that reason on a machine with a 512GB SSD. If I quit Native Access, the service continues to download and attempt to install stuff even without the application running,.

It's so ******* broken.

I am quitting even trying, at this point. Worst experience I have ever had with a piece of $1K+ USD software in my life.

It's been MONTHS like this.

• Rich_NI
    Rich_NI Customer Care Posts: 173 mod
    Options

Hi @iNate

Sorry to hear that you're having such issues with NA2.

Please try installing and using Native Access 1 instead:

Are you then able to install your products as expected?

• T11
    T11 Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

During a cpl of months I was busy putting together my thesis for school (music production).

But I had a lot of BSOD's up to five times per day. Had no idea what caused it, so I lost a huge amount of time and work that I achived.

Even though I'm quite disciplined in saving at least once every 5-10 minutes (sometimes shorter) - those few minutes can be quite crucial in music production because you might just have pulled of that magic take or had a lucky 'accident'. So I was quite gutted.

Add to that, that I had to spend many hours searching the net for how to find the culprit causing these BSOD's.

Then I finally came across the tip to look for re-occuring failures in the Windows Event Log (under System) just before the last crash and there they were:

All NTKDaemonService. 105 of them to be exact. 🤬

I've had the NI Komplete Ult for many years now, on maybe five PC's and two Mac's. And even though I'm not a fan of online auth-solutions I still use them because well..you know...

But something critical has changed in this last Native Access-version, and NI really needs to look deep into this. This kind of error can brake hardware, really bad. It wasn't like this in any of the earlier NA-versions on any of my machines.

So I did what I had to do to get my school work finished in time, and that was to shut down all the NI services and also ran the NI Uninstall Regtool.

Haven't dared to touch any NI-plugin again since then (34 days ago). Not a single BSOD after that..

Has NI released a new NA since then and has this evil error been fixed?

(I also have like maybe 500+ songs with NI Komplete-plugs that I would want to revisit and polish...)

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

It is not common that NTKDaemon causes BSOD.... I have it on two PCs and no problem, not a single BSOD. It may be something specific in your HW/SW setup. Generally it is not easy to cause BSOD.

IMHO it is in most cases caused by problems in HW...

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

As Kubrak mentions - a true "real" BSOD - is always hardware related. Software and services do not cause this - they can cause a crash but not a BSOD.

Each BSOD will have several hardware references to check and almost always lists the file/driver that is causing the issue.

VP

• Jay Mehler
    Jay Mehler Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 10
    Options

I read through all of this but I have a consumer level understanding of how my mac works so I didn't gather much in the way of what to do. I am getting "ntkdaemon is trying to install a new helper tool" every startup. I dont think I see a fix in this thread but it could be my amateurism. Is there a solve for this? Thank you for any help!

• xgman1
    xgman1 Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I remove it from startup period. done.