Waiting for Maschine MK4, Maschine Studio MK2, or Komplete Kontrol MK3

Options

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 632 Pro
    Options

You lost me a little bit on the Mikros and PC/MK1 talk. I do like your Maschine Jam idea, but it too is similarly old. If it might get refreshed, I'd rather wait for MK2, lol!

• BIF
    Options

I don't get the joke. 🤷‍♂️

But you know what? An NI take on sit/stand furniture or racks might be interesting!

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    edited May 2023
    Options

A NI chair would make the long wait more tolerable..

And perhaps enter tap tempo data with a wiggle.

• BIF
    Options

NI has always been tight with information about upcoming products. I don't think it benefits them in this post-covid era, and in fact I think it hurts NI and its customers more than having an actual published roadmap for their products. Combined with NI's "take our sweet time coming out with new versions" methodology, it may cause some customers like myself to just give up waiting and go to a competitor.

To Shedd's point, Akai is a competitor in the controller space. I bought an Akai controller a few years ago, then shortly afterward, Maschine Jam came out. I never heard ANYTHING about Maschine Jam before its release, otherwise I might have decided to hold off on the Akai and see what NI could come out with for the Jam.

But because NI kept the Jam a secret, they lost at least one sale. And no, I never went back to buy a Maschine Jam at a later date, because I had already spent that money and so that ship had sailed.

Native Instruments needs to be more open in terms of their product lifecycle/roadmaps. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia do it for their products, and THAT is a much more competitive space. Automobile makers do it for THEIR products, and those people will kill for more customers. Even Apple does it, just by allowing the leaks and rumors to happen. You always know what's coming from Apple a good six months before any official announcement is made. I would prefer an actual roadmap from Apple, but they allow and even facilitate the rumors, so something similar to a roadmap is actually what happens there.

By being so secretive, NI leaves money on the table and hurts itself.

• BIF
    Options

Hi Kaiwan! I'm an American, so I want BOTH at the same time! But to give your question an actionable answer, I just bought myself a new Seaboard 2 keyboard, so let's do Maschine before a new keyboard. Yep, I'd like a new Maschine with THREE mongo-massive flip-out/fold-out touch screens. NI can wait until June or July to come out with a new keyboard; I'll probably be ready for it by then, plus it will be too hot to do anything outdoors! 😁

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

FurNIture is more possible than new controllers. If it's a chair you can wait patiently as someone pointed.

It's a joke without any fun... just like NI.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

Let me also calm your fears about not having an audio interface: There are some really good ones out there from Arturia, UAD, and yes, Native too. Take your time on that.

Or RME Babyface

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

A NI chair would pair good with Teenage Engineering 1600€ Field Table. 😂

And would probably be as minimalistic and in this price range

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,945 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

Just curious... What's the reasoning for the new HW tho? What are you missing that is HW-specific? You only mentioned MIDI 2.0 and that wouldn't require new HW, it's a software feature.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

My reasoning is that most of NI HW is EOL or not available or at massive sale.

I, personally, do not think there is real need for new HW as the current/old is just fine. I happily use KK S88 MK1, Maschine Studio, Maschine Jam, TK S5, TK D2, X1 MK1....

But currently there is almost no Pro NI HW to buy. That is the base for my guess, there must be storm of fresh new models. Or end of NI HW.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

In my opinion, the only new interesting HW would be a Maschine standalone well thought this time (you know…battery, speaker, touch screens…all the things users complained about (practically…a NI MPC Live 2 😂😂😂).

And with a good processor and ram, running a good OS that will allow to install everything (also 3rd party plugins). Practically…windows, since Apple will never allow to install its os on non Apple computers.

And also good supported and developed, this time…

Or…instead of new hardwares, new companions (something like the Maschine Jam app for tablets to complement their software/hardwares you suggested). But as we know…NI don’t love iOS or Android tablets

• BIF
    Options

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I said it in my FIRST POST. It has been YEARS since the last versions came out. And, most importantly, nothing old will take full advantage of the added granularity of MIDI 2.0.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    edited May 2023
    Options

I think it's possible we will see a big gap in new NI hardware being available. The strategies of what they can profitably offer to the market is too hard to predict right now.

I have stated my opinions several times here on the NI forums, that it is time to deeply rethink what these controllers should be. And I advocate for them to become "dumber" in the sense that trying to make them DAW equivalents is a fools mission. They will never come close and the very attempt to do so is mucking everything up.

KK software should be a optimized for a desktop experience within a DAW.

Currently the tail is wagging the dog. KK software is being dictated to by the hardware.

The hardware should be designed for the software.

• BIF
    Options

Maschine "standalone" would have so many potential things go wrong. Speakers rot. At this very writing, I'm waiting for parts so that I can re-foam a pair of 40 year old speakers, rather than buy a new set. Oh the ****** I probably breathed in this past weekend cleaning those things up and prepping them for their new surrounds!

Also, touch screen backlights fail. Batteries reach end-of-life and stop working if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, they leak and ruin the device. And batteries make every device even more hazardous to deal with at EOL.

No, let's stick with USB power, though maybe through USB-C this time. Best if we can avoid having to deal with power supplies (which require copper windings and even MORE toxins). But if there's a good reason for adding a power supply, well let's do that.

As an alternative, maybe there could be a Maschine or KK keyboard made to interface with an iPad or Fire tablet...kind of like the current round of Avid control surfaces. If they can keep the latency tight, that might be interesting. Avid does it with Ethernet, but maybe there are other ways.