Super 8 is randomly starting pitch shifted

Friede
Friede Member Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Super 8 on Cubase 12 pro / Win 11 (has been there on Cubase 11 / WIn 10 as well) is randomly pitch shifted.

Repeatedly removing the plugin from memory and reloading it with the same configuration (by deactivating the track, closing/reopening the project or restarting cubase) results in randomly either correct pitch or about 1 1/2 semitones too high (as in pretty exactly the shift that happens with mismatching 44.1kHz and 48kHz audio).

Is there any chance this bug is going to be adressed in the next couple of months – since it has been there for some time now – or is it going to stay that way, in which case I would replace Super 8 in my projects.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 248 Pro
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

I see you load Super 8 in Komplete Kontrol, I loaded the VST3 directly in Cubase.

With Komplete Kontrol I was able to reproduce the problem. It only seems to be happening with the combination of Cubase, Komplete Kontrol and Super 8. I tried to reproduce it in Studio One and all instances were perfectly in tune.

EDIT: Just tested in Ableton Live and Bitwig and had the same issue, so it's not only in Cubase.

Very strange issue...

Answers

• Reefius

I just tried this in Cubase 12 Pro and everything seems to work fine. Super 8 loads with the correct pitch, I checked using a tuner plugin. I've added multiple tracks, all with an instance of Super 8 and they were all perfectly in tune.

I'm also using Windows 10.

• Friede

It sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. The more Super 8 tracks there are in a project, the higher the probability for one to go out of tune when loading.

Other people have complained about the same thing before, like here:

(post #48 on page 3, and also post #38 on the previous page)

• Reefius

Well, I just added 50 tracks to a new project, all of them with an instance of Super 8 on them, and they were all in tune.

I'm using the VST3 of Super 8.

• Friede
    edited August 2022

Is your project 48KHz?

I know, it doesn't make any sense with a synthesizer, but I don't know what actually triggers it, just a guess.

I can't upload directly but I've put it on youtube. I created a Super 8 track playing one note, copied it several times and 4 out of 17 turned out to be detuned:

(at 0:16 it seems to work when I hit play for the first time, but they just aren't loaded yet. I pressed space too early, there's just the first track playing. All playing together would have been louder, as in the end of the video)

I seriously have no idea where this is coming from, I had this in old projects from over a year ago, meanwhile my complete setup is different, it's still there.

• Friede
    edited August 2022

Ok yeah, I found at least something:

When I change the project to 44.1 kHz, Cubase warns me about sample rate mismatch and they all go up and are same pitch (too high). When I switch back, the previously out of tune ones stay up, the other ones go back down.

Also I just figured it only seems to happen when I load Super 8 inside Komplete Kontrol. I loaded a bunch of standalone instances and none of them got pitch shifted, so this seems so provide a workaround which would be fine for me for the time being (until now I kept freezing my tracks so they aren't displaced when I open my project the next day).

• Reefius
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

I see you load Super 8 in Komplete Kontrol, I loaded the VST3 directly in Cubase.

With Komplete Kontrol I was able to reproduce the problem. It only seems to be happening with the combination of Cubase, Komplete Kontrol and Super 8. I tried to reproduce it in Studio One and all instances were perfectly in tune.

EDIT: Just tested in Ableton Live and Bitwig and had the same issue, so it's not only in Cubase.

Very strange issue...

• Friede
    edited August 2022

Hehe, simultanious posting. Yes, that seems to fix it. Knowing that, it isn't all that bad now, I can save my presets and reload them into standalone plugins. I use komplete only for convenience when browsing presets, I don't need it afterwards anymore.

• Friede
  • Reefius

Looks like I was doing it wrong in Studio One, I just duplicated the MIDI tracks but they were all pointing to only one instance of Komplete Kontrol.

I tested again duplicating the tracks properly so every track has its own instance of Super 8, and now the problem was there too. So it doesn't seem to be DAW specific, it's just the combination of multiple instances of Komplete Kontrol and Super 8.

• RustyPerez
    RustyPerez Member Posts: 1 Member

I'm late to the party but I've had this same issue using it in Komplete and Reaper. I use Komplete because it makes it easy to go through presets and change things. I happen to be blind and so the knobs help.

It really makes me mad when I bring up an old project and it's out of tune.

I've almost abandoned Super8.

I'll try and use it as a standalone vst.

But I wonder if they fixed this in the vst3 version of Komplete.