S2 Mk3, should I?

SilverSurfer
SilverSurfer Member Posts: 3 Member

I fairly recently got into dabbling with DJ Controllers, been messing about with a Hercules DJControl Starlight for a few months and I am looking for something more sophisticated now. After doing plenty of research of the controllers out there within my budget I kinda set my heart on the S2 Mk3, as I really like the look of it, the jog wheel size, the simplicity of it too. As I am new to the DJ Controller scene, I was unaware of the issues Traktor/NI have been facing (the rate at which hardware is released and the ongoing issues I'm reading about regarding Traktor Pro 3 which I have not even used yet) and now I am aware of this it has cast some slight doubt in my mind and I am wondering whether I'm about to make the right choice or not with the S2 Mk3. Like I say I've set my heart on it now, but was also looking at controllers like the Reloop Ready as I wanted a compact controller, but then I saw the S2 Mk3 and felt it would be a better step up for me even though it was a little larger. I guess no matter what happens with the company, I'll still have a great controller with the S2 Mk3 which I'm sure I'll love using.

Another slight issue I have with the S2 Mk3, which is slightly contrary to what I've just said above, is that it was released so long ago, I wouldn't want to buy it if a Mk4 could be in the pipeline, but I appreciate this could either be non existent or be a long time off, in which case I'd be happy to get the S2 Mk3.

I could also be overthinking all of this (wouldn't be the first time) I literally only do mixes so I can listen to them in the car etc I've no aspirations to become a DJ for a living, Well not yet anyway

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• D2Lover
    D2Lover Member Posts: 42 Helper

Go for it. Even if a Mk4 was released in the next year (Which I doubt), you could always sell it if you felt you needed too. You've nothing really to lose. Enjoy your mixes now.

• ilove1981
    ilove1981 Member Posts: 45 Helper

I have a range of Traktor controllers and they're all great for different things. I have played gigs and run livestreams on the S2 Mk3 and it covers all the basics really well. You can even run it on a powerbank hooked up to an iPad running Traktor DJ2 and be in the middle of a field with no mains power. Go for it; for the cost and the included full Traktor Pro 3 license, it's a no brainer.

• SilverSurfer
    SilverSurfer Member Posts: 3 Member

Well I pulled the trigger and went ahead and got my S2 mk3 back in early July and I absolutely know I made the right choice. I love it. Really happy with Traktor Pro 3 too. Immediately I was doing things I'd not tried before (because I couldn't) and I'm dropping in samples n stuff now too. The Mixes I've done since then are so much better than anything I'd done before. Yeah I'm blown away with the S2. For the money, the complete package is unrivaled I think (hardward and full version software). Got myself a Decksaver too for it which is great.

Thanks guys.