Previous versions of recently updated Kontakt libraries / compatibility with K6 older libraries

Comments

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 183 Advisor

@Jeremy_NI

Like @catch-22 I can't download the biggest files. I had to reinstall my OS (fresh install) and to reinstall all my NI libraries. I had previously archived a lot of them (copying the iso file at the end of download - another crazy DIY fix in order to archive NI files), but some of them were missing : Electric Sunburst Deluxe for exemple. I can't manage to download it.

I know it's not a problem for you (few pages ago, you answered you didn't have problem downloading, so this issue doesn't exist for you), but it's a problem for many of us and I don't understand it's not adressed in some way…

For your information, I tried with Safari and Firefox, but I'm pretty sure my issue is with my internet connection. It's pretty slow, and I guess Google interrupts the download after some time… I don't know if it's the same problem for other users.

Why do you use google drive ? Why don't you let us manage that with Native Access (choosing our version of the library) ?

I'm so tired of spending so much time on managing my NI assets…

• catch-22
    catch-22 Member Posts: 94 Helper
    edited May 9

Hi @Jeremy_NI i'm with @Calagan on this.

Yesterday i wasted over 70GB of traffic and much time because all my download attempts failed.

How it should work:

• NA should recognize that i have Kontakt 6 installed and only offer latest versions of libraries compatible with that version (i never use/install the player version even if i can get the Kontakt 7 player for free - i only install full versions)
    • NA should run at max speed with my slow internet connection, not at half or even less than that

I've just tried to download the ISO file again and can't because the 'download quota has been exceeded' again. Maybe it's not the best idea to have publicly available download links.

• Calagan
    edited May 13

@Jeremy_NI (cc @catch-22 )

Just to be more precise about my issue, I think the main problem is that my internet connection is slow : it's not fiber (yet) but good old ADSL, and I reach a 1.5Mo/s bandwidth at max (something like 12Mbps). Often much less. So it takes a couple of hours to download a 6Go file like the Sunburst library…

I'm not at all a tech guy regarding internet, but I guess the Google Drive servers are interrupting the download if it takes too much time, considering someone is abusing the service. I don't know exactly what happens, but it's not working for many of us, and I've got impression the common link is the low speed of the internet connection…

It could be nice to have some feedback from people downloading NI libraries from google drive : what's your internet connection bandwidth and do you have problems downloading or no ?

I don't have any problem with Native Access by the way. I was using NA1 without any problem and I recently downloaded NA2 : to my surprise it's working without any problem. So it's not about my connection : I never loose connection when downloading libraries through Native Access, or while using other apps like Spitfire Audio, Arturia, Sine and so on. It's only when downloading big files from Google Drive (I would say, weighting more than 4Go).

• Snipey
    Snipey Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

@Calagan I had exactly the same experiences in December/January. I have a similar speed ADSL (UK). I had more success with NA2 than I had with NA1. But NA2 still failed on big downloads, say > 2GB.

A lot of people have commented on the slowness of the NI google drive and intuitively it seems that the length of time must increase the probability of experiencing a glitch on the line. One library took more than 9 hours to download. One suggestion - I discovered through trial and error that the Chrome browser worked a lot better (on PC) at keeping the google drive connection alive across glitches, compared to say Firefox which would drop out far more often and I'd have to start again - over and over again.

• catch-22

They should split the big files into smaller chunks to prevent completely failed downloads.

The download speed is another topic. On my system NA doesn't seem to use the full speed available, which isn't very fast to begin with.

• MrFresh
    MrFresh Member Posts: 54 Member

…splitting files into smaller chunks just to accommodate download time issues seems like a pain and doubt it would happen. What would then need to be done is facilitate reassembling the separate files back into one installation file…

• catch-22

That's not what i said. I proposed chunks for the Google Drive downloads, because downloading large files tend to fail there. The speed issue with NA is another, separate problem.

• Snipey
    Snipey Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Program like winrar and 7-zip can split and merge archives very easily. NI could provide split versions as an option for the larger downloads - not necessarily as a replacement. If you haven't spent three days trying to download one huge file, followed by two days on the next file, etc, then you won't appreciate just how painful the experience is.

• MrFresh

Though I’ve not had this particular issue, even if I went that route, it would behoove users and NI to have apps that perform like WinRar and 7-zip on the MacOS platform as well. I know MacRar can open .rar files but that’s it.

• duffs200
    duffs200 Member Posts: 16 Member

the ones that say "mac and win" don't work for me on a mac.

• MrFresh
  • Calagan

A little trick for those having issues downloading files because of their slow internet connection.

I installed Chrome on another laptop I've got (I don't want that ****** on my audio machine) and it actually let you re-start the failed download where it stopped (Firefox and Safari are theoretically able to do that, but it doesn't work with Google drive).

Thanks to that, I was able to download the Sunburst library…

• Calagan
  • jeremyautomnepage
    jeremyautomnepage Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

This is ridiculous, should have a caution saying that the user has to update Kontakt to 7 to be able to use the library. I have downloaded the Kontakt 7 player, absolutely horrible since I couldn't use the Picked Acoustic to play normally anymore.