How to assign Pitch/Bend to Expression pedal in Maschine 2 DAW?

damnrock
damnrock Member Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I have a Studiologic FP-50 expression pedal and for the last 5 hrs I tried to assign it to Pitchbend in Komplete Kontrol app. There is no option in this app that could help me.

I have also tried to add the pedal to Maschine mk3 and use Controller Editor to assign PitchBend to it. It works only in Controller Editor itself. As soon as I leave Controller Editor and enter Maschine 2 DAW, the pedal is no longer doing PitchBend. Also, I cannot configure Komplete Kontrol in Controller Editor, so again, no options.

The pedal works fine, I tried the "Learn" function on knobs in the DAW, but there is no Pitch/Bend control on Maschine 2 that it can "Learn" to use the expression pedal.

I've searched Google like a maniac, I've read the manuals and I followed all the steps, nothing.

I even tried some online advice, to rename the pedal as CC 1, to mimic the ThouchStripe, did not work in Maschine 2. Some pointed out that I could use a Pitch/bend plugin, I have tried 2, but the result was terrible. Still, I am open to recommendations, if you have a plugin that actually delivers.

Please provide assistance to how can I make an expression pedal pitch/bend in Maschine 2 DAW instead of using the touchStrip, as I need both my hands to do other things and I can't put my foot on the touchStrip, can I? :)

Thank you.

Best Answer

• damnrock
    Answer ✓

I figured it out!

I put the expression pedal in Maschine mk3, went to Controller Editor and set the pedal to Continous, Type:Pitchbend. I play on Komplete Kontrol and the pedal responds through Maschine MK3.

Then, for recording, I went to Maschine DAW and followed the steps to record a MIDI note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLp6m22RZ2s.

It's not an ideal setup for the price, but since it works for what I wanted, I'm fine with it.

While the instruments are in MIDI mode, the Hold, Portamento and Expression pedals work great in Maschine DAW.

It took me some time to figure out, but time was not wasted, I also learned how easy it is in Komplete Kontrol app to create zones and how easy it is in Maschine DAW to create instrument layers.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Controller editor assignments are ignored when Maschine is being used with the Maschine Software, all buttons, knobs become proprietary and are pre mapped to specific functions and the pedal input only be used for Play and Record triggering. The Controller editor mappings only work in Midi Mode. Pitchbend is a Midi System Message that does not have a specific "CC" number that can be assigned to other controls, KK does not support assigning system messages to pedals (as you already know).

• damnrock

Thank you for the clarifications. Did not know that, I thought the point of KK was flexibility and pitchbend seems like something everybody would want on a pedal at some point.

What workaround would you do, to be able to use the pedal for Pitchbend and record in DAW?

When using Pitchbend on foot, I can do hammer-on and bends at the same time, so that I can use KK close to using a real guitar without having to edit recording. After trying it in midi mode, I was thinking if they added this feature, it would be close to a Seaboard Rise and increase the value of the product, don't get it why they haven't already allowed the wheels to be mapped on pedals.

Really interested in getting your answer, I really want to make it work.

Thank you very much and have a great day!

• damnrock
    Answer ✓

I figured it out!

I put the expression pedal in Maschine mk3, went to Controller Editor and set the pedal to Continous, Type:Pitchbend. I play on Komplete Kontrol and the pedal responds through Maschine MK3.

Then, for recording, I went to Maschine DAW and followed the steps to record a MIDI note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLp6m22RZ2s.

It's not an ideal setup for the price, but since it works for what I wanted, I'm fine with it.

While the instruments are in MIDI mode, the Hold, Portamento and Expression pedals work great in Maschine DAW.

It took me some time to figure out, but time was not wasted, I also learned how easy it is in Komplete Kontrol app to create zones and how easy it is in Maschine DAW to create instrument layers.