Komplete Audio 6 MK1 and 5.1 audio (music production)

The KA6 has 4 audio outs but both in Ableton Live and Audacity I can only choose either outputs 1&2 ("Main") or 3&4, not both at the same time

Does anyone know of a DAW or other audio software that can make use of all the KA6's 4 outputs at once? I want to send each of the 4 outputs to 4 individual speakers.

And also, is each of these 4 outputs in stereo or are they all mono?

Both YouTube and the internet in general ignore the 5.1 part when I do a search.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• Schlockmeister
    Schlockmeister Member Posts: 4 Member
    Answer βœ“

I don't know how it happened, but yesterday all of a sudden I had 6 mono outputs in Live!...

I connected 1/2 and 3/4 to my front and rear speakers and it does work now,I can assign eg output 1 to track 1, output 2 to track 2 etc. 5/6 are digital outs which I presume could be used with a center speaker.

<- happy camper πŸ˜‰

Answers

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro

I have explored the same question for my own DAW (Studio One). I concluded that the only way to get 5.1 mixing for the vast majority of DAW's is by purchasing a plugin, of which there are many which vary in price from "ouch" to "HOLY S__T! that is expensive!" They are geared toward pro's and hence the price.

The only DAW I know of that has 5.1 built in is Steinberg's Nuendo (or at least it used to be) and again it is priced accordingly for PRO's.

• Schlockmeister
    Answer βœ“

I don't know how it happened, but yesterday all of a sudden I had 6 mono outputs in Live!...

I connected 1/2 and 3/4 to my front and rear speakers and it does work now,I can assign eg output 1 to track 1, output 2 to track 2 etc. 5/6 are digital outs which I presume could be used with a center speaker.

<- happy camper πŸ˜‰

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited November 2022

I've been mixing exclusively in 5.1 surround for a living since 2005 using Cakewalk by Bandlab (free, Wintel only), formerly SONAR. It has improved immensely since I started using it in '94 in my own studio. Also have Nuendo ($$$$) and it is Atmos capable, but not much call for 12+ channels in my clientele.

Generally you would want to output in an AES or IEC format (ex: L,R,C,LFe,Sl,Sr) or similar) depending on what your film editor requests.

• Schlockmeister

Yeah Nuendo is good for it but I'm not going to change DAW's ever again anymore. :)

Besides I'm only getting my feet wet with surround sound, no need to spend a ton of €$'s for this (yet).

I found out what the problem was: only ASIO drivers allow for the use of more than the 1/2 outputs Live provides. The Direct-X Microsoft ones are inferior.

Althouuugh: I just now found out the MS drivers have a latency of only 92.9ms while the ASIO ones have a whopping 309ms! I thought ASIO was supposed to be more cpu-friendly ...

PS: I'm going to use the word Eddies from here on out instead of €$'s. Cyberpunk 2077 dude! πŸ˜‰