Busy season in progress... Please note that due to a high volume of requests, the response time from our support is currently longer than usual. Chat is temporarily not available. We thank you for your understanding.

Live Looping Using Maschine Software & Boss Looper Pedal

CRITICAL WOOD
CRITICAL WOOD Member Posts: 3 Sine

hi guy's ☀️

I'd like to discuss with people using Boss Looper Pedals with their Maschine Software and talk about Workflow .

`What is working for you , what's not , Why ? etc ......

I realized more and more people are using Looper Pedal with DAW ( probably because not everyone can afford to buy physical instrument or don't know how to play them , and having any of your Instrument in VST ready in your computer is a gain of money , space and flexibility ) .

For some reason I couldn't find any good tutorial on internet coming from users or NI neither .

I will explain you my workflow with my boss looper and why I used it on this way .

I am really interesting to hear about how you guy's use yours .

So :

• I don't use my Boss Looper for guitar like most of you but for vinyl live looping ( If you don't know what is this , you can have a idea by looking on Youtube the performance of a guy call CUT CHEMIST )
  • So to start , I find in my analog vinyl some good 2 or 4 bars melody that I loop on my pedal on my first pedal slot ( could be keys , string , sax , pads , guitar or whatever but never drums , only pleasant melody )
  • After , I usually find some nice percussion from Latin , African or jazz vinyl that I loop in the 2nd slot of the pedal too ( 2 to 8 bars it depend on what I found in the vinyl but always a multiple of 2 to stay in sync with the first loop )
  • PS : I'm a DJ so I make Sure both of my loop are sync by hear only
  • Then my Maschine is coming : I couldn't find a way to synchronize my Maschine software with the pedals properly so I don't and i use tap tempo on my Maschine to find the BPM of my loops and put the click click in my headphone to be more precise when I will play .
  • I load a bass line in the A group of Maschine and I play what I want on my Komplete Kontrol Keys , then loop it on the 3 slot of my pedal
  • On the Group B I use a Drums kit , I play them live doing finger drumming with my Maschine mk2 ( kick , snare , hat close , hat open ) on 4 bars , then loop it on the 4th slot of the pedal
  • My 5th slot on pedal is used on a mic input to record a acoustic instrument directly plug on the pedal ( so nothing come from Maschine but straight in the looper )
  • The 6 pedal slot is again a mic input for some vocal
  • I never use over dubbing so if I need to add some extra drums like some Toms or a extra note on bass , I just doing it live on the keyboard or the pads but I don't record them .

So it's mean I don't really run Maschine software but I only use it as a VST bank folder

The Pro of doing this is to have super low latency because anything is running on Maschine so I can use a 64 buffer size on my old MacBook and if need some effect I will use the one integrated inside the pedals ( so no CPU use , no latency , no crackling , no headache )

The Con ..... I actually don't really use my Maschine possibility of pattern , scene , clip , effect etc and doing arrangement directly on pedals feel limited comparate to all the possibility Maschine software can offer in only few click

So here is my workflow , it's definitely not the best but it work for me and it give me this live performance feeling

If you read this post and found a other way to combine your looper pedal with Maschine software , feel free to exchange 🙏

I know some people synchronize the soft with pedal ( or the pedal with the soft ) with master clock and can access to all the function that offer .

Maybe one day Native Instrument will jump the step and make us some nice tutorial but for the moment our best option is to help us mutually

PS : i intentionally didn't mention the model of looper I use because only the workflow is important , doesn't matter if you have 2 Or 6 loop available .

The point is to make everyone participate and not make team RC1 or RC5 or RC 505 etc

Peace ✌️

And have a nice day fellas

Tagged:

Comments

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 168 Saw

Any reason you don't do this just using the looper in maschine? I'm assuming you're not doing this as a live performance or anything.

• CRITICAL WOOD

I'm actually doing this as a live performance

No particular reason , it's just that I started looping with pedals so for me it's more natural to use the feet to activate loop recorder when I'm doing Old Vinyl Dijing , finger drumming or playing instrument because it keep my hand free for what I am doing

I actually never tried to loop everything directly in Maschine without pedal

I may start to look about the Maschine + cause I don't like to work with computer , that is why I keep Djing Old analog vinyl and not timecode as far as I can

If you know a good full Live Looping Tutorial all in Maschine , send me the link please ;) gonna watch it

• CRITICAL WOOD
    edited August 30

This is the main reason why I have a feet looper , look this video you will understand

When you playing analog vinyl you just have 2 turntable and a mixer , no computer ( so it's mean no Maschine mk2 )