Traktor 3.6 Pro Plus CPU issues

Options
13»

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

That is the only way to try to find a solution. Or wait till someone other opens Ticket and cooperates with NI to do the tests needed....

It looks to me that NI has optimized the code in 3.6. (no spikes in CPU usage). But maybe this optimization works well on newer CPUs/chipsets and not so well on older ones. Difference may be in the size of cache for example. Newer CPUs have bigger one and so less RAM access. Older CPUs have smaller cache, more access to RAM and that RAM is way slovwer than RAM used for newer systems....

That could be one of explanations that 3.6 seems to run better than 3.5 on modern CPUs, and worse on 3.6 than on 3.5 when using obsolete CPUs. (Sorry, 10 years old is obsolete...)

I fully agree that NI should update techspec and indicate also minimal CPU generation. Or write that it is x last generations...

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,373 Expert
    Options

It looks to me that NI has optimized the code in 3.6. (no spikes in CPU usage). 

I would not put too much weight on those graph I made.

From my point of view not much has changed. Except a tiny bit of more ram usage.

• Kubrak
    Options

OK, you may be right. But there were spikes in 3.5 and no spikes in the both 3.6.... May be coincidence...

But generally there is no visible rise of CPU in 3.6 comparing to 3.5. on your system.

• Fotis Leon
    Fotis Leon Member Posts: 59 Helper
    Options

@Kubrak Yes, some of us got older laptops. Yes 3.6 maybe is better but our CPUs aren't.

But,

as long as your taking NIs side, in each comment, you didn't mention once, the things we said about the competitors. How VDJ and Serato, can run in a 15y.o. laptop with no problem, and Traktor cant?

(I met a new guy, and he was willing to learn to be a dj, and gave him the 12 y.o. (worst laptop) that we had at the storage room, installed VDJ and mapped my old S4mk2. Worked fine for many months!)

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,373 Expert
    Options

Rekordbox is also incredible in this regard. My laptop stays at lower clockspeeds 1 - 2 Ghz during a set with it.

While with Traktor is always powers up to 3.X Ghz, you can hear the fan and faster battery drain. Effects, EQ or no it does not matter.

Which NI would work on it. But with only half a dev available you want to sell those Plus subs :)))

• Kubrak
    Options

To say the truth, I have never used other program than Traktor, so I cannot compare. But the explanation of @DJM (Sagar) seems to be sound.

I do not deny that every SW is possible to make better and make it run lighter... But it costs. And it is big question if it pays to invest to make it run easily on 10 years old maschines. It may be cheaper to loose those customers. Programmers are pretty expensive. The world is not ideal and money rule more and more...

I have bought older i7 notebook to start with music production. I have bought it just for music production and thought it is strong enought. It was not. So I started to use my strongest notebook. It was OK for a year, two. So, I have built strong miniPC. It is OK, so far. IMHO it is better to have sufficiently strong computer than expect things get better one day.

I do not defend NI, I have no reason for doing that, am a computer programmer, so I know what programmers and managers dislike to do and what they fear. Newly introduced bugs due to modification of "bug free" old code....

• Oxy
    Oxy Member Posts: 88 Helper
    Options

Traktor has never been this sluggish as since this update.

• Kubrak
    Options

It runs just fine on my Microsoft Surface Pro 7, so far. It is i5 (10th gen) passive cooling and so running only 1.2 GHz.

It is sort of tablet running Windows. In my eyes very low end computer for premium price. But very nice toy, I must admit.

• Fotis Leon
    Fotis Leon Member Posts: 59 Helper
    Options

After our conversations in this post and long thoughts, i guess its time to move on from the 3rd generation cpu to something new!

Asus ROG Strix Scar G17

Intel® Core™ i9-12950HX 5.0 GHz

32GB DDR5 4800MHz

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6 

2x 1TB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 4.0 SSD

17,3” WQHD (2560 x 1440) 240Hz

Wi-Fi 6Ε / Windows 11 Pro

(hope Traktor 3.6 runs smoothly in my new laptop, will see in 10 days)

Kept for 8 years of professional music my old Lenovo. Hope for another 8 with this one!