Where can I get help on figuring out genre?

vinnie2k
vinnie2k Member Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2022 in Social Club

Hello,

My debut album is ready for launch, but for some of the 12 tracks, I struggle to assign genres as requested by the distributor, not to mention the struggle to assign a genre to the album itself!

Where can I get help about this? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

You don't know what genre your music fall into?

Let us maybe listen to some previews, we could maybe help.

• vinnie2k

Well the album has been published but my question stands :-)

https://open.spotify.com/intl-fr/album/6scjgPbHKbWv8UMByjZUw6?si=0eBvPcLfSK-yyWx0UYUm3Q

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

As an album it's kind of all over the place sonically, some of the songs may have been better in a different order maybe and from just flicking through there is a bit of an imbalance in both the choice of songs in that order and the perceived volume levels between some songs, maybe hasn't been mastered? Just subjective from a user POV but it's kind of confusing to listen too because there appears no real idea or focus, just a mash of whatever projects you happened to finish is the sense I get?

Understandable it seems your interest in musical genres is kind of broad but from a listener's POV when you put on a whole album you kind of want a certain mood or "theme" which is the point of an album. Seems to switch between acoustic/ambient, spoken word, electro, rock and it's difficult to be in the mood for all of these at the same time. I would say Experimental would be the closest I would identify. I did only skip through the songs briefly tho since some were a little off from what I like to listen to, this is again something that may make it hard for some to fully appreciate.

This is likely why you are struggling to place a finger on the album genre, it's a mix of many and while some of us don't like to constrain ourselves in boxes, people out there generally like things to be neatly packaged so you have to consider, if you are confused yourself as to how to class your work, listeners themselves will also likely be confused.

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,886 Pro

Hmm...

I think it is better to write an album where each song has different melodies, chord progressions, lyrics, but similar genres and styles.

Speaking from experience.

• vinnie2k
    edited January 1

I didn't do that.

• vinnie2k

Thanks for the insight. It is a first album and it is a compilation of all the stuff I had written over the last 10 years.

My question was more for each track than the whole album, but I appreciate your time.

Thank you.