Polyphase allpasses update

13»

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 820 Guru

It's crucial to quote the whole post, and only then add partial quotes if required!

If you just use the indent partial quoting in a context where someone has asked a 'question', and there is a long discussion as a result, and then that person flags your post as 'best answer', the post will be ripped from it's correct place in the chronology of the thread and placed at the top where those indented partial quotes will become disconnected from the post they were quoting which could be anywhere in the thread.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 453 Advisor

I don't know why I don't get a bell when somebody responds. Had no idea, wonder what happened. Others ring the bell, did you turn something off Andrew?

• Studiowaves

Sup Laureano, keeping it real I hope. I was wondering if you had time to show me how to make a formula for a log. The one they use for computing the db for a vca that inputs the DB and outputs the linear multiplication is one. The other does the opposite, input a linear and it outputs a DB. When I studied math the teacher said," a logarithm is an exponent" like 3 times. So I figure he meant they can backfold into each others formula. The exponent is easy in excell . Like 2^3 is 2*2*2 BUT how do I write a formula for the log of 8 to the base 3 and end up with 2. I think that's what the base is, basically saying what number multiplied by itself three times equals 8. I thought it would come in handy if I ever used some math in an audio stream and was curious as it's pretty fascinating too. Thanks, hope to hear from you,. I'm sure it's easy for you.

• ANDREW221231
    ANDREW221231 Member Posts: 299 Advisor

this is a workaround, i tuned my notification preferences as following:

i know that i definitely want to be notified in such cases

• Laureano Lopez
    Laureano Lopez Member Posts: 102 Advisor

You have db to linear and linear to db macros in core. Basically linear to db is 20*log10(x), and db to linear is 10^(x/20). If you mean a cheaper, decently good approximation, it's not really possible here. log and exp approximations in floating point need access to the bit representation, which we don't have in core. The log and exp modules come with two lower precision options -they may work for some uses, but they're rather rough.

• Studiowaves

Thanks, I managed to figure out an excel spread sheet and made a simple lookup table with 1000 entries of the og and exp with the base 1.2.. or whatever they used.. I put them in a single ensemble and set the voice count to 1024. The tables are faster and the with 1000 points it's fine for most uses. I took my time and figured out the log formula in excel. Once I understood it, it wasn't that hard. I think a cell is written as Log(base,number)

So Log(1..2..,0) returns a 0. As in no db gain or loss.

• Studiowaves

I see, had no idea that stuff was in there, guess it's in the account profile..