AMD Ryzen CPU with large 3D cache.... and Kontakt, Reaktor, ....

Kubrak
Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
edited July 2022 in Tech Talks

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (8C/16T) has big 3L cache - 90 MB, or so.... I guess, more models will come with comming Zen4 CPUs....

While AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D is targeted mainly to gaming applications, also other data intensive applications might benefit.... Kontakt, Reaktor, samplers, come to my mind...

Does anyone has experience or knows about tests of AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D for audio?

Would 90 MB considerably help, or is it still too small....

Comments

• Liquidedition
    Liquidedition Member Posts: 9 Member

It should in theory. However, I've always found intel works better with audio applications. You've got other factors to consider too. Nvidia graphics cards have always caused issues. You could be running a seriously high spec machine and the Nvidia graphics card can introduce all kinds of problems. If you're building new do some serious homework on compatibility and stability.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

I have AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and it runs just great. It delivers enought computing power, and as it is not power hungry it is easy to cool it (setup is dead silent).

IMHO current AMDs run way better than Intels of last few generations (10-12th).

But I know that specs and reality may differ. That is why I ask, if someone has practical experience with AMD huge cache in real music production world....