How to connect Traktor to an analog mixer with(out) Traktor Audio 2,

hi folks,

I'm a long time Traktor user and owner of a S4 since a couple of years. I would love to use a vintage analog mixer with traktor in upcoming Dj sets. I was looking into the Traktor Audio 2 interface, as I think you need it to convert the digital to an analog signal.

It looks like the Traktor Audio 2 is hardly available around here. Was it discontinued? The kind of audio trick no longer supported by Traktor? What is it replacement? Or do I look into a different brand?

Thanks all

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    edited June 2022

Hello,

any interface with, at least, 2 stereo outs will work for 2 decks. Or up to 4 stereo outs for 4 decks. And if you want to use traktor FX, your mixer needs then send and return, you need a stereo input and output on top.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 121 Helper

I'm using Behringer UMC180. It have 10 outputs (5, if count as stereo) and 8 inputs (4 - if stereo). But if you will need more inputs and outputs, you can expand it with an ADA8200. ASIO driver by Behringer supports multiclient.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert

Could you not just use the S4 and send that into the mixer?

• Radiobounty
    Radiobounty Member Posts: 6 Member

Will be too much gear to carry.

I only need 2 channels. But the Traktor FX is essential. So I guess I need at least 3 channels and a send/return option, plus an interface - from any brand- with 2 Channels, right?

• Uwe303

Do you have bought the mixer already? Does it have a send and return? The behringer 1810 is a good option that should cover all use cases with traktor.

• Radiobounty

Hello Uwe, no I did not because I first wanted to know about the use of an audio interface. I'd never used one before, you see. I looked into the 1810 but could not find anything?

I hope to find a decent 'made in Belgium' mixer. We have a small but vivid community here cherishing our vintage brands like Rodec, Stanford, Frank, Marelco. I think it would a nice tribute to use one of these with modern tech.

• Uwe303
    edited June 2022

To use a local brand would be cool, just look for a mixer with 2 channels and a send/return if you want to use it and you will be fine. You can also send some links here to check it out. ohh and sorry the audio interface is called 1820 Behringer | Product | UMC1820 and you don´t need necessarily a send and return on the mixer, you can use traktor fx also as inserts like "normal", it´s just an option. You could even use some fx hardware if you mixer has send and return, many many cool options to fit your style.

So if you want to use a mixer with just 2 channels, how do you then control the decks? You would need to carry a controller too anyway. So maybe you describe again exactly what you want to do and want to reach, then we can help better

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

Traktor Audio 2 is available second hand on ebay for around 100 bucks. It's awesome in it's simplicity. It's got 2 stereo output, one of which has two control wheels for use as monitor. In the Audio setup you can set one to output the sound from deck A and the other from deck B and route those into your mixer. If you restrict yourself to 2 decks it should be the perfect fit.

If you want to use the Traktor FX you may need an additional MIDI controller to avoid using a mouse. In this case an X1 might be the perfect fit as it also provides controls for 2 decks.

• DJ Geri
    DJ Geri Member Posts: 19 Member

a pity that they have discontinued the Traktor Audio 2, I have been using it for years, small and of quality.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro
    edited July 2022

Any 2 ch AI will do it.

• Radiobounty

Thanks all for the replies! I find a lot of info, but some is confusing, when researching sound cards. When it says "4 outputs", it means I can control 2 stereo decks with it and no outputs left for the send/return, right?

In other words, if I like to control 2 channels on the mixer and 1 send/return... Do I look for a soundcard that says 6 outputs? I took a look at the ESI GIGAPORT eX USB-C. Would this fit the bill? (I'm on windows 10 BTW)

More questions: how about pre-cueing, can this be done on the mixer or should I look for a soundcard with a headphone jack?

How about recording the mix? I believe I need a spare channel on the mixer and on the soundcard?

To answer the questions about control, I control my decks via a Xone K2. It's a very portable controller that fits with my laptop in a bag (hopefully together with the soundcard), so I'll only have to worry about carrying the mixer in case I like to play on my own mixer. And in some cases I would like to go and play on the mixer at the gig with just the soundcard, laptop and Xone K2.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

K2 already has a decent soundcard. Plug the main output into deck A and the monitor jack out with an adapter into deck B.

The mixer should have headphone connections for monitoring.

This is for use with only Traktor FX and or hardware FX of the local mixer.

• Radiobounty

Didn't know that! I'll give that solution first a try on an old 2 channel Behringer DJ Mixer I have lying around, it will give me some insights in monitoring and traktor FX. Keep you posted!

• Radiobounty

Can anyone tell me if the ESI GIGAPORT eX USB-C would fit the bill? (I'm on windows 10 BTW). I´ll give the xone a try tonight but I expect I be needing more outputs.

• Uwe303

Yes this will work, you can send up to 4 stereo signals, so you could output up to all 4 decks. And just use FX, as the standard setting is, as insert and it will work. And if the mixer has a send/return you can use it with hardware FX for example but of course you don't have to, the inserts are enough normally.