can you load/install Native Instruments' "Studio Drummer" onto a Maschine Plus?

CR05BY
CR05BY Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

I'm a guitarist thinking about buying a Maschine Plus to basically use as a drum machine/sequencer for hard rock/metal - and just found the "Studio Drummer" (virtual instrument?).. can this be installed on Maschine Plus so I can use it standalone, without a computer? For example, I'd like to write and record drum tracks for original songs, and play them using just the Maschine Plus, if possible. I guess I'm not sure what Kontakt Player is and if that needs to be used (PC based?) or if it can be installed on a Maschine Plus (would that be necessary?). Thanks for any help you can provide

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited October 16 Answer ✓

No, not in Standalone Mode, but it can work in controller Mode when the M+ is connected to a computer.

The instruments that can be used in the M+ Standalone are listed in the product page under the Sounds tab, it's the ones with an orange + in the corner:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-plus/sounds/

• stulle
    stulle Member Posts: 7 Member
    Answer ✓

Another workaround would be to use the Maschine Auto Sampler and create a custom kit of your favourite drum VST. This can easily be used standalone, as it only contains samples and not the original plugin.
    Of course sound-editing is limited to the onboard possibilites of Maschine+ then. No quick changing of cymbals or room acoustics in the plugin etc.

I have done this process once for a drum set of GetGood Drums library and it worked really on Maschine+

• Warpt1
    Warpt1 Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 15 Answer ✓

I spent my life playing bass and guitar. I haven't touched my basses or guitars really since getting the M+, simply because I can write music and lay down ideas with just my M+ and the Launchpad Pro I'm using as an external controller. At some point I'll be incorporating guitar and bass, but I can do a lot of work without them.

I have samples of drum kits that I've made from Superior Drummer 3 and EZ Drummer 3 for use in standalone mode that sound pretty fantastic. It isn't exactly what I get controlling the VST, but it's close enough. You can sample a cymbal being choked and cut off everything but the tail end of it, put it in a choke group with the crash or whatever cymbal you sampled being choked and have a realistic sounding choke.

Faster rolls at full velocity might machine gun a bit but, you can break that up somewhat bit by doubling up on pads you might play with two hands and panning them slightly left or right.

I do each piece of my kit individually with 20 velocity layers and save them as groups.

Thing has changed my life as a musician.

• Warpt1

What my answer reflects is that you can utilize the auto-sampler to create samples of any VST for use in standalone mode, even though you can't load the plugins directly. And it works rather well.

The auto-sampler is the saving grace of the M+ in standalone mode, as those samples use only small amount of CPU. My sampled drum kits sound better than any drum kits Native Instruments has provided with the Plus. Without it? The M+ probably wouldn't work for me. But it does.

So the answer is "no you can't load that plugin or 3rd party VST directly but you CAN use the sampler to create samples of kits from said VST that work in standalone mode" Having spent quite some time extensively doing so myself, It's freaking awesome.

Honestly, with finger drumming I don't find it to be a huge issue. If I were trying to plug an electronic drumkit into this thing and play fast doubles and what not.. it'd be a problem.

Hopefully NI hears us someday and adds some round-robin functionality to the sample editor. A CC zone for sampling hi-hats could be a pretty powerful thing as well. But, what we have works surprisingly well as it is, and being limited to open HH and closed HH isn't a big deal given we're playing rubber pads with our fingers.

Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert

I answered you in your earlier duplicate post.

• CR05BY

Thanks for responding. Sorry, it's not the same question. I've been searching and found Native Instruments makes a (virtual instrument?) called "Studio Drummer" which I am wondering if THAT can be loaded into a standalone Maschine Plus. Thanks for your help!

• D-One
    edited October 16 Answer ✓

No, not in Standalone Mode, but it can work in controller Mode when the M+ is connected to a computer.

The instruments that can be used in the M+ Standalone are listed in the product page under the Sounds tab, it's the ones with an orange + in the corner:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-plus/sounds/

• stulle
    stulle Member Posts: 7 Member
    Answer ✓

Another workaround would be to use the Maschine Auto Sampler and create a custom kit of your favourite drum VST. This can easily be used standalone, as it only contains samples and not the original plugin.
    Of course sound-editing is limited to the onboard possibilites of Maschine+ then. No quick changing of cymbals or room acoustics in the plugin etc.

I have done this process once for a drum set of GetGood Drums library and it worked really on Maschine+

• D-One
  • CR05BY

Thank you, @stulle !!

• Warpt1

I spent my life playing bass and guitar. I haven't touched my basses or guitars really since getting the M+, simply because I can write music and lay down ideas with just my M+ and the Launchpad Pro I'm using as an external controller. At some point I'll be incorporating guitar and bass, but I can do a lot of work without them.

I have samples of drum kits that I've made from Superior Drummer 3 and EZ Drummer 3 for use in standalone mode that sound pretty fantastic. It isn't exactly what I get controlling the VST, but it's close enough. You can sample a cymbal being choked and cut off everything but the tail end of it, put it in a choke group with the crash or whatever cymbal you sampled being choked and have a realistic sounding choke.

Faster rolls at full velocity might machine gun a bit but, you can break that up somewhat bit by doubling up on pads you might play with two hands and panning them slightly left or right.

I do each piece of my kit individually with 20 velocity layers and save them as groups.

Thing has changed my life as a musician.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert

it's not the same question

The answer is the same regardless of whether your plugin is called Superior Drummer or Studio Drummer.

"No, the Maschine+ (and other similar products on the market) can't run computer plugins"

• CR05BY

this is great news, thank you @Warpt1 !

• CR05BY

I wonder if “Vocal Pockets” might help with the snare rolls… just came across them on FB and it appears that they have a quantizing tool that works wonders….

• Warpt1

What my answer reflects is that you can utilize the auto-sampler to create samples of any VST for use in standalone mode, even though you can't load the plugins directly. And it works rather well.

The auto-sampler is the saving grace of the M+ in standalone mode, as those samples use only small amount of CPU. My sampled drum kits sound better than any drum kits Native Instruments has provided with the Plus. Without it? The M+ probably wouldn't work for me. But it does.

So the answer is "no you can't load that plugin or 3rd party VST directly but you CAN use the sampler to create samples of kits from said VST that work in standalone mode" Having spent quite some time extensively doing so myself, It's freaking awesome.

Honestly, with finger drumming I don't find it to be a huge issue. If I were trying to plug an electronic drumkit into this thing and play fast doubles and what not.. it'd be a problem.

Hopefully NI hears us someday and adds some round-robin functionality to the sample editor. A CC zone for sampling hi-hats could be a pretty powerful thing as well. But, what we have works surprisingly well as it is, and being limited to open HH and closed HH isn't a big deal given we're playing rubber pads with our fingers.