Feature Request: Change Symphony articulations by MIDI channel

Dann
Dann Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

This eliminates keys witches by playing an articulation based on the MIDI channel - in a single instance of the instrument. The new Spitfire Kontakt orchestra instruments have this feature available. It simplifies orchestration as you simply assign the note to the MIDI channel you set for each articulation you have loaded. All articulations that use CC controls respond to MIDI ch1. Easy to move notes and copy/paste phrases without dealing with cumbersome key switches. When using it, it makes key switches feel antiquated and obsolete.

Tagged:

Comments

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 383 Pro
    edited October 14

Selecting Groups by MIDI channel has been available at least since Kontakt 4. Though doing it all in a single instrument instance has no advantage over the multiple instances that Uwe suggested: both equally severely limit the number of channels available for separate instruments that you can have in a single instance of Kontakt.

To me it would seem more useful to to give different articulations separate cc controls, but if you must have a single control for all your "techniques", I've already shown you how to do this with a simple multiscript.

I suspect our methods of producing music may be quite similar. I change articulations if necessary by a dedicated cc. And I make use of the massive 128-note capacity of Kontakt by having two or three groups active at the same time. Most instruments have a range of around 3 octaves and you can have 2 or 3 of these spread over the keyboard, transposing each one up or down a few octaves appropriately. (Kontakt can do this for you if the instrument doesn't offer it.) This way you can start off playing several articulations at once, or change an articulation in post-production by shifting (or copying) notes up and down the requisite number of octaves. I can have a full orchestra with 30-40 separately controlled parts in a single instance of Kontakt.

When using it, it makes key switches feel antiquated and obsolete.

To you, perhaps.

• Dann
    Dann Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

Thanks Stephen. Everyone uses the technology in slightly different ways. Your technique of spreading out instruments on the keyboard is intriguing and worth some thought. I am surprised more people haven't spoken up to discuss MIDI channel articulation switching. Spitfire went through some effort to build this into their proprietary AND Kontakt products and I would think NI would be at least looking at doing the same. Thanks again for your time and thoughts.