VST3 support for NI instruments and effects

electron7
electron7 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Komplete General

hi

why are all the plugins not vst 3 yet?

Cubase annonces that this year they will stop vst 2 support!

greetz

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor

A lot of NI plugins are now vst3. Older stuff need other updates for windows 11, mac mx, etc. ongoing process. A VST3 category topic in forum probably good idea.

• Jeff Wraight
    Jeff Wraight Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi Folks,

I've been using NI software for 22 years. I am now retired - still doing the odd gig but enjoying my pension.

I am still on Complete Ultimate 11 and over the years I have usually 'Leapfrogged' every other update. i.e. I went from 9 to 11 - I can't afford to move to 13 though, so have to stay with 11

Is this going to cause problems with the VST2 plugins which Steinberg say they are going to phase out?

I see elsewhere that some of the NI plug ins are being updated to VST3. To be honest I'm not sure where to look to see if mine are VST3 or 2.

I keep everything updated in Native Access.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know what's happening and what, if anything I should do.

Sorry but everything is getting just that little bit slower as I approach 70. LOL

Best wishes

Jeff

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey Jeff,

Since you own Komplete 11, you're entitled to update the products you own, so you'll be able to have the VST3 versions as soon as they are ready as an update for your products. Don't worry, VST2 is not going to disappear over night, a lot of software developers and DAWs still support the format. Still, VST3 is definitely the future. We'll make an article soon to sum up which NI plug-ins are VST3 and which will soon be, I'll make sure to post that article here.

• r.u.sirius
    r.u.sirius Member Posts: 1 Member

But Native Access does not provide any VST3 versions yet, right?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Native Access does provide VST3 for some plug-ins already, you can find the list in this article (@Jeff Wraight this is the article we were waiting for). we will update it as soon as there are new compatible ones: VST3 Compatibility of Native Instruments Plug-ins

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 403 Pro

It does - VST3 updates are detailed in the changes section.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 357 Pro
    edited January 2022

Actually, they stated that "within the next 24 months, Steinberg’s host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only", see here: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-2-discontinued/761383. Which could well mean that it's 2 years until Cubase stops supporting VST2 plugins. Which means that Cubase 13 could be the first version to not support VST2 anymore (of course, it can also happen earlier, but, I really wouldn't expect it already with the upcoming Cubase 12, which will be relased some time in February).

NI is on a good way to have most of its portfolio ported to VST3 though. Actually, it's interesting how many companies quickly released a VST3 version of their plugins in the last 2 years or so... I wouldn't be surprised if Steinberg contacted most of them, and made it clear that their products will soon only support VST3. Frankly, from their view point, it's kind of obvious that they had to make that move sooner or later. I think the last version of the VST2 SDK hails from 2006.

• Magic Russ
    Magic Russ Member Posts: 19 Member

There are. The Mod and Crush FX, Raum, Replika, Kontakt, Massive X, and Super 8 are among those with VST 3 versions available. If you want to see which plugins you have which are VST3, simply go to the VST3 directory on your computer and you will find them there.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@r.u.sirius Check out this article Jeremy posted above where we list all the plugins that are available in VST3: VST3 Compatibility of Native Instruments Plug-ins

• Thierry Josselin
    Thierry Josselin Member Posts: 1 Member

It seems that this mix of VST3 and remaining VST2 creates some mess in my computer.

Example with "Bite": In Native Access, I see a message saying that I need to repair some missing VST 64 plugins, but when i try to relocate them in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit, it does not see them even if the .DLL file is here. I need to reinstall the plugin, even if I don't need the VST2.4 version but only the VST3, to be able to update to a new version.

Example with Komplete Kontrol: In Cubase I see some Plugins shown as VST2.4 as Cubase find them in this folder in "VSTPlugins 64 bit". And I wonder if it is a reason on bad performance and crashes. I tried with Komplete Kontrol to reinstall the "VST2.4-64 bits" in a separate folder not scanned by Cubase. Then, the VST3.7.3 version is recognize by Cubase. Do I have to do this for all the plugins that have both VST2-64bits and VST3 version installed by NI?

Best thing would be to change the way VSTs are installed. I would choose the .vst3 version if it exists and not the VST2.4-64 bits one.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

There should not be any problem or "crashes" in a DAW with both VST2 and 3 version plugins installed. Most I know of list both VST2 and 3 separate and the issue of the "repair" thing in Native Access isn't a new thing for VST3, it can happen if you move a plugin to another location (or just a sub folder), the repair option will not work reselecting the plugin again. I just do the uninstall and reinstall.

In many cases people need both VST2 and 3 since older projects that used VST2 will not work with the VST3 plugin unless you actually swap it out.

• Jeremy_NI

Cubase will always load the VST3 version of the plug-in and will not show the VST2 at all, that's normal Cubase behaviour.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Unless you are macM1 running native mode then only VST is listed.