Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 24

2 - I wonder if we might see Battery (focus on third party groove & grid player hardware, and possibly now even MPE, add official templates for different controllers) could transform to become a MIDI tool within Kontakt 8 in the near future and then connects into Leap and other future products. I would love to see it soon, would love to connect my Ableton Push. Seaboard and Akai MPC users would probably love this too. Another way is to add similar features into Leap and future products.

3 - The Leap libraries need improved graphic design (some more polish). Nitpicking but Output Arcade graphic design is really great and inspiring - Leap graphics looks rushed, NI usually do way better here, that's why I am commenting on it. Would also like to see Leap take inspiration from Polyplex with the randomization.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,825 admin
    edited September 24

Hey everyone, thanks for the great questions so far. Let’s give a warm welcome to the Product Managers and Designers behind Kontakt 8!

@Ilay_NI @Eric_NI @Francesco_NI @Philipp_NI @Konstantin_NI

These are the folks who brought to life new features like Leap, Conflux, and the Phrases & Chords tools, plus all the platform improvements. They'll start diving into the questions that have been raised in this thread today and will continue to pop in throughout the week and next to chat with everyone, until October 4, 2024.

Whether you've already tried out Kontakt 8 or you're still on the fence, keep the questions coming. 👇

• Eric_NI
    Eric_NI Product Team Posts: 6 mod
    edited September 24

Hey thank you for this question!

If I understand you correctly you are already able to do this in Leap. Just drag a sample onto any slot, adjust your start stop points and settings and then CMD/CTRL click on the sample slot of the Leap UI keyboard and hit duplicate in the appearing dropdown menu. This will copy over the sample including its settings to the next free slot on the right. I did create some fun jungle break kits with that quite quickly.

If you want to zoom in and out, you need to use the smaller waveform stripe on top of the big waveform - it works like a horizontal zoombar in video editing software. You can either drag in the handles from the left or right to adjust the window of the waveform, or just click on it and drag your mouse up or down. Moving the mouse left/right will move the zoom window and double clicking anywhere resets the zoom level.

• Eric_NI
    edited September 24

Hey, great question!

Leap expansions are a little different to Maschine expansions.

We thought about adding content from existing Maschine expansions and create Leap expansions out of the existing ones, but we wanted to avoid too many duplicate samples on your machines - also our Sound Designers wanted to work with new sounds again :) - this is why we decided against retrofitting Maschine expansions into Leap Kits.

However, yes, you have access to all of your Maschine expansion content through Kontakt now and can take any sample or loop out of there and mix and match all the sounds to quickly create custom kits within Leap that are using only Maschine expansion content (or more).

• MLARS
    edited September 24

Could we see the next Battery in Kontakt 8? We still need a player launching Maschine kits if Leap does not support it. Better support for grid, groove and MPE hardware would be nice, especially third party hardware.

Like the idea of custom Leap kits, make it possible to change the look of your Leap instrument for a distinct feel when switching kits.

Both Leap and a possible new Battery need some grid, groove and MPE UX, If not on instrument level, then at the core of Kontakt (if not midi tool?). Have any of this been considered yet? Would like to run my Push 3 on this - and one could dream - also download Maschine kits converted and downloaded to use in Push 3 standalone mode.

• Eric_NI
    edited September 24

Hey there, thank you all for your comments and let me try to shed some light on your thoughts.

In the Loops and One-Shot section you should find the same content that you are finding in Komplete Kontrol under these sections.

We wanted to allow our users to also access Maschine expansion content through Kontakt - since Kontakt is such a powerful sampler it felt a bit off that users can not access the same content within Kontakt itself.

In the future, you will see Leap expansion content in there as well as Maschine expansion content. There are also ways to have user content shown in there by adding custom sample folders to your Library (check out the cog icon in the bottom left when you are in the Library tab). But if you have big collections of samples on your hard drive, you can navigate through your OS explorer/finder and drag and drop your sounds directly from there into Kontakt or onto Leap.

By the way: In Kontakt's new default view, dropping samples onto Kontakt will create a Custom Leap instance, whilst doing the same in the classic view, will create a Kontakt instrument instance.

• moai
    moai Member Posts: 42 Member

I'm a Komplete Kontrol software user and I also have Kontakt 7, what's exactly the difference between Kontakt 8 Player and the Komplete Kontrol software? I just installed Kontakt 8 Player and it seems like I can use it as a direct replacement for KK, I can play all my instruments and the interface looks very similar. I'm missing something?

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,620 mod

KK supports instruments and plugins from other manufacturers. Kontakt only supports Kontakt libraries.

• Eric_NI
    edited September 24

Hey D-One, thank you for your questions, I'd like to tackle point 3 you brought up (my colleagues are better suited to talk about 1 and 2 with you).

Yeah, you are correct, we have a great and expert-level Kontakt core audience and Leap might not be for all of them. However, sometimes we just want to have some quick fun in Kontakt and therefore we really tried to make the powers of Kontakt more accessible for potential new users, Kontakt beginners and our experts alike.

So far it was, for a lot of users I conducted interviews with, not easily possible to just throw a sample into Kontakt and have quick play around with it. Leap brings some of the Kontakt under-the-hood Edit view features to the front and hopefully will make playing around with samples more straight forward in the future.

And since we still have the instrument builder options and all the depths of Kontakt available to our expert users, I do not think of it as too risky personally.

About your content Location question, which is also a great one:

Lo-Fi Vibes and the Piano Uno are part of the Kontakt base installation, so that every new Kontakt user can immediately start to play around within Kontakt even if they do not have any Libraries installed yet.

This means they will end up somewhere in Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Kontakt 8 on a Mac or C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 8 on Windows.

All the other Expansion content will be treated as such [content] and if you have your Native Access set up with the "Content Location Folder" pointing to your external hard drive, it will also end up there as expected.

I just double checked on my system to be sure and can confirm that all Leap expansions are not taking up valuable space on my tiny system SSD ;)

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 383 Pro

If migration is a problem there is a simple and completely effective way of making it unnecessary.

At the end of each composing/recording session, get into the habit of saving any multi (patch only) in any instance of Kontakt that you have altered during the session. It takes a second or two, and occupies a negligible amount of disc space. Give it a name that identifies it with the project. Such a saved multi will load into any subsequent version of Kontakt.

• Konstantin_NI
    Konstantin_NI Product Team Posts: 4 mod

Hey, thanks for the question! Conflux combines a wavetable oscillator with a sample layer. The new wavetable engine in Kontakt expands the sonic possibilities, and Conflux is the first instrument to use it. By using the new wavetable oscillator, we allow for greater sonic flexibility. It also offers a range of modulation options, including frequency, phase, and ring modulation.

• MLARS
  • Paul B
    Paul B Member Posts: 156 Advisor
    edited September 24

Good advice, and what I will be doing going forward. It doesn't remove the need for manually loading the new Kontakt and the snapshot, but it makes the process reliable.

In my defence: Kontakt 6, aka Kontakt (with no version number), was my first version, so I did not expect this would be necessary when all other plugins I own, including others from NI such as Reaktor, have not needed it when new major versions were released. I had no prior reason to expect it would be needed for Kontakt.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 383 Pro

Not big Kontakt templates with 100+ tracks

Not sure what you mean by tracks. Do you mean 100+ instances of Kontakt in one project? Never occurred to me!

• MLARS

Use Komplete Kontrol for 1st and 3rd party non-sampled synth instruments and when you want to control non-sampled synths or Kontakt instruments combined with an effect chains with your NI hardware.

This discussion has been closed.