STEMS - Which controller are you using?

Hey all,

I'd love to start a discussion around which controllers and mappings you're currently using to control your Stem decks in Traktor Pro 4.0

They can be simple or elaborate!

I've just found a new use from an old custom controller (sitting above the X1) I bought ages ago that I've not used since I moved into a new place two years ago.

A nice modifier tweak to get a full sweep HPF on each lane as well as FX sends for each lane and the bottom four buttons allow me to switch focus between all four decks.

I've not had this much fun with Traktor since I bought the 96 shortly after it got released.

Comments

• maniacintosh81
    maniacintosh81 Member Posts: 555 Guru

Xone:96 and a MasterSounds ISO 4. I like.

Getting back to the topic: My weapon of choice for controlling stems is a Kontrol F1. Like your controller easy switchable between all 4 decks. Controls for stem volume, mute and filter on a finger tip. Only stem fx sends are missing… 🤔

Have to consider mapping my Xone:K2 for stems and give it a go.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,526 mod

Stem fx sends can be toggled (but not attenuated) with SHIFT+Pads 5-8.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,607 mod

Using an S8 here, glad I hung onto it!!

• Victor_Ruderalis
    Victor_Ruderalis Member Posts: 5 Member

Использую X1mk3

• Harald Walker
    Harald Walker Member Posts: 38 Member

S4 MK3 and optionally I could add a Midi Fighter Twister with Traktor 4 Mapping that supports stems and pattern player.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,947 mod

That's awesome - I built that mapping. Twister is really a perfect controller for controlling stems and Traktor have and always has the most capable Stem Deck.

I use my TW with stand and then have Spectra sitting rotated 180 degree in front of the TF. That is my main setup for Stems and Pattern Player but more mapping are in works. I also have Maschine Jam which can be great stem deck controller. The F1 is missing one row of knobs and K2 buttons are to small, otherwise those are good choices as well.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 323 Guru
    edited July 21

The ISO4 is really lovely and I prefer the +7dB boost, over what you'd find on the recent MC Audio Solution isolator or the classic Bozure ISO201, which I used to own.

I should have taken a photo from the other side. The holy trinity…

• maniacintosh81
    maniacintosh81 Member Posts: 555 Guru

Thought very long about getting the Bozure ISO-201. But was unhappy with it about having all connections on the side not at the back of the unit. But then came ISO 4. Also have a MasterSounds FX connected in my setup. Unfortunately they stopped making their DJ stuff imagined to buy a 4 Valve someday if I have some spare money.

I like those somehow non-standard setups. Much more inspiring than a all-in-one controller or a DJM with 2 to 4 CDJs. Not satisfied with the placing of my ISO 4 yet, but have to make some new pictures of my setup the days.

• axeldelafosse
    axeldelafosse Member Posts: 28 Helper

One Xone:K2 per deck!

• axeldelafosse
    axeldelafosse Member Posts: 28 Helper

"A nice modifier tweak to get a full sweep HPF on each lane"

Can you elaborate on this please? How did you do it? And why did you chose a high-pass filter instead a volume fader?

• Sûlherokhh

The controls for submix only allow a LPF/HPF combo, with the middle value being NO filtering. So you have to be creative with modifiers (one for each channel) to make sure the zero position (being LEFT, value going from zero to one with 0.5 being the middle) always corresponds to the middle postion of the combo filter. The actual filter control must be set to relative with a value of 70.7% (sqare root of one).

Best you ask @leesinthemix to show you the mapping file.

• leesinthemix

You need to set three mappings for the same pot and yes as said above, you'll need one modifier per stem lane. Four modifiers per deck.

Modifier
    Button: Hold
    Set to value: 1

Slot Filter Adjust
    Button: Direct
    Set to value: 0.5
    Modifier Condition = 0

Slot Filter Adjust
    Fader / Knob
    Relative: 70%
    Modifier Condition = 1

• leesinthemix

I still use the faders for volume, but the four pots on the top row I use for HPF only.

• Fuzzyruto
    Fuzzyruto Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

i would agree, but currently you cannot map any stem deck controls. you can for the patterns.

• Sûlherokhh

Yes you can. Check your other thread.