No MIDI Input Kontakt 6.7.1 but MIDI OK with FM and other NI SOftware

Ant G.
Ant G. Member Posts: 19 Member
edited May 2022 in Kontakt

Greetings - currently there's no option to select MIDI Port A or Omni in Kontakt with say Ashlight (note controls are missing in the GUI) for Ashlight . Some instruments in Kontakt still offer this option however all options exhausted. There's No MIDI input.

(Side Note - I've an Arturia keyboard that shows a symbol such as this in the LCD: II when it's connecting to Kontakt. no other software causes this symbol to appear)

Oddly, I can use FM, Massive (Ch.1 and All Channels work just fine with the Arturia keyboard), PreSonus Studio One..all without issue and also Kontakt within Studio One without issue.

It appears the issue is related to Kontakt stand alone 6.71 only. I have done a reinstall twice but this has not helped and rebooted. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ant G.
    Answer ✓

Thanks EvilDragon. I believe you are on the right track. Support was unable to solve this issue but I am going to update this thread for anyone else using an Optical Audio Cable from their Mac or PC to an Audio Video Receiver.

NI support wrote this is“weird”.

Here’s how I resolved the issue and it was by accident. 

Out of the PC I have always used an Optical Audio cable via the S/PDIF port to an AVR this was for at least 15 years through different PC’s of course. In fact, Kontakt had worked well also for 13 months with this arrangement until about two weeks ago when I first reported this case.

A few hours ago, I removed the optical audio cable and the reason was I was no longer getting 192k x 24bit and only achieving 96k x 24bit with Foobar, so I knew something was amiss - instead of Audio Playback at 192k x 24bit I was getting dead air..nothing. Windows Audio tests also failed (the Test Tone) however odd, as this has been my setup for quite some time. 

From my NVIDIA video card I ran an HDMI eARC cable to a Denon receiver as an HDMI Input (vs. optical audio from the MOBO to the Denon). From the Denon AVR I ran another HDMI eARC cable to the HDMI eARC input of a Samsung 55inch monitor.

Unbeknownst to me, this had solved the issue. I just so happened to continue to troubleshoot the Kontakt stand alone issue (version 6.7.1) when low and behold I open Kontakt and all of the controls (say in Ashlight) were back in place. I was also receiving MIDI input. Prior tests with with MIDI-OX showed all was fine..CH 1 was working, Modulator wheel, sliders, all good on an Arturia 61 Keylab MK II. In addition, Reason, Studio One and all other NI software was fine as well such as FM8 or Massive. This all boiled down to Kontakt stand alone being unhappy with an Optical Audio cable.

I made No other changes or alterations. Apparently, if Kontakt doesn’t like the audio output arrangement the GUI and MIDI input don’t work. You were on track EvilDragon, thanks much. 

I have sent this into NI support.

Cheers

Answers

• Ant G.
    edited May 2022

Here's a few images. I can confirm via the MIDI Control Center (software for the Arturia keyboard), the keyboard is broadcasting on Channel 1 and has the latest Firmware 1.3.1

Note in these images the controls for Ashlight are gone such as the main joystick button, grain maneuvering, etc - also the option to change MIDI Port and Output are missing. Kontakt is certainly not finding my keyboard controller however all other software is. I've now just tested Reason 12 also, no issue. This is all pointing to Kontakt. I've also done a full uninstall, reboot, reinstall and it was of no help. There was a change that was made earlier today and off hand I believe that was a new update for Massive X and Massive X Factory on 5-20-22. I wonder if that would have impacted Kontakt? Thanks

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

It seems that audio engine is not running. Check Audio tab in Kontakt's options.

• Ant G.
    Answer ✓

Thanks EvilDragon. I believe you are on the right track. Support was unable to solve this issue but I am going to update this thread for anyone else using an Optical Audio Cable from their Mac or PC to an Audio Video Receiver.

NI support wrote this is“weird”.

Here’s how I resolved the issue and it was by accident. 

Out of the PC I have always used an Optical Audio cable via the S/PDIF port to an AVR this was for at least 15 years through different PC’s of course. In fact, Kontakt had worked well also for 13 months with this arrangement until about two weeks ago when I first reported this case.

A few hours ago, I removed the optical audio cable and the reason was I was no longer getting 192k x 24bit and only achieving 96k x 24bit with Foobar, so I knew something was amiss - instead of Audio Playback at 192k x 24bit I was getting dead air..nothing. Windows Audio tests also failed (the Test Tone) however odd, as this has been my setup for quite some time. 

From my NVIDIA video card I ran an HDMI eARC cable to a Denon receiver as an HDMI Input (vs. optical audio from the MOBO to the Denon). From the Denon AVR I ran another HDMI eARC cable to the HDMI eARC input of a Samsung 55inch monitor.

Unbeknownst to me, this had solved the issue. I just so happened to continue to troubleshoot the Kontakt stand alone issue (version 6.7.1) when low and behold I open Kontakt and all of the controls (say in Ashlight) were back in place. I was also receiving MIDI input. Prior tests with with MIDI-OX showed all was fine..CH 1 was working, Modulator wheel, sliders, all good on an Arturia 61 Keylab MK II. In addition, Reason, Studio One and all other NI software was fine as well such as FM8 or Massive. This all boiled down to Kontakt stand alone being unhappy with an Optical Audio cable.

I made No other changes or alterations. Apparently, if Kontakt doesn’t like the audio output arrangement the GUI and MIDI input don’t work. You were on track EvilDragon, thanks much. 

I have sent this into NI support.

Cheers