Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,806 mod
    Options

Work in progress

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,625 Expert
    Options

Yes the advantage of having clear and consistent layouts and tagging for visually impaired users is very important, that's one of the things NI have not done a bad job of (although there is room for improvement) 

Actually, that's one of the leading complaints I hear from blind users that the templates NI and official NKS partners offer are "performance" based and so have as few controls as possible that affect only the direct timbre of the sound. I ahve even been asked numerous times if I can "reprocess" or update existing NKS instruments with a new template so they can actually make use of the instruments better.

Blind users have a different need than us sighted users and I have spoken with hundreds over the years to learn more about what they really need. Tagging (good tagging) and access to as much of the synth as possible, especially the ability to disable/enable effects is important and often much of this is missing when mapped so this is why I invest a LOT of hard time tagging things and designing and labelling templates because they need the labels to be clean for the text to speech side to work efficiently especially when faced with 30 pages of parameters. Getting the right order where it is not cumbersome for everyone to access those important performance/filter/envelope controls while still having control available for modulations, oscillators and effects is also a challenge.

Making NKS files is usually the quick and simple part, tagging and testing control templates is the long process and that's where some plugins can take literally months to finalise as tagging is insanely boring and laborious work as many will attest to, and why many (even official libraries) don't bother with much deep tagging.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 416 Guru
    Options

I had a chat with one developer about 18 months ago; just got in touch and said "NKS is really important for blind/visially impared users". They were more than happy to jump on a call, and when I explained that deeper tagging (or more specific) was absolutely helpful to this group of users and why, they couldn't agree more. Sinc then, they spend much more time tagging their instruments, which are all NKS. I didn't move mountains - just opened a window.

Propper tagging is not just a courtesy, it's essential as far as I'm concerned.

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options

I was thinking more in terms of how NI have made KK accessible in the first place, it is not that common for companies to completely ignore visually impaired users, at least NI have built the platform - the implementation part is what is sometimes lacking. I find some mappings by third parties very poor - Dune 2/3 for example cover almost nothing beyond the bare minimum (in fact I released an alternate version of Dune 2 for that reason). In my own I try to strike a balance between comprehensive and performance but go more in the comprehensive direction than most third party and some NI implementations.

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options

Eventide Instant Flanger mkII VST3 including all presets tagged, artwork etc

Both of these were made with the VST3 version so only open in that, opening in VST2 may not work or have errors (although Eventide plugins do generally migrate well that's from VST2 to VST3)

• jggorman
    jggorman Member Posts: 108 Helper
    Options

You've always contributed a lot of your knowledge for free! So for that and your great presets, thanks!

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options

This is almost done but I've hit a snag with uberMod as it's not as uptodate as the others and doesn't seem to work well in Komplete Kontrol 2.8 on Mac (at least not on Ventura/Apple Silicon or Rosetta mode - doesn't seem to even matter if I use the VST2 it's just broken). I can load existing NKS presets saved with the VST2 to the VST3 version but I can't save any new ones as the params just won't update when I switch presets - not sure if this is a KK or Valhalla bug but it didn't affect the others so I have almost completed the whole Valhalla bundle except for uberMod - I have NKS versions for uberMod 'Chorus, 'Echoes', 'Ensembles' and 'Reverbs' but can't save any for the the newer categories. Can anyone on Windows see if it's possible to save them on that platform, or even if anyone is still on Intel Mac or an earlier version of Komplete Kontrol or Maschine? If not we'll have to wait til the bug is fixed - thanks

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,387 mod
    edited January 2023
    Options

Just made them, a very quick task with VST2 version on Preset Magician, but using as template one of your VST3 presets. Which maybe was i mistake, as i will explain.

So, this is tricky. All presets are extracted and working, you can see the values changing and you also hear the difference. However, the preset name stays always the same, no matter what NKS you load. And the values on Maschine knobs are not changing too (maybe because i used your vst3 as template?).

Another annoying thing, i also made the images (actually, auto-generated by P.M.), however there is NO way to see them, unless you change the values on every resource, from Valhalla DSP, LLC, to Valhalla DSP!

Anyway, here they are, i hope you can make something good out of them (however i do not recommend them to the other users... guys, better wait to see if Kymeia can do something better)

PS: Now i will check your VST3 presets to see how they work, and maybe if i have time (and mood) tomorrow i will properly save the rest, one by one

UPDATE: Nope.. your VST3 presets have exactly the same problem (at least on Maschine). Values changed, but preset names don't change, and Maschine knobs are just... sleeping 😴. No action at all...

UPDATE 2: Please DO NOT download this one! Check the new link, 3 comments below.

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thanks - yes I guess Valhalla or NI need to fix this (I have sent bug reports to both) but thanks for generating them, I will see if I can get them working and add tags. As for the company name - I changed all the ones I created to Valhalla DSP anyway as adding a .lcc is bad practice and confuses Komplete Kontrol/Maschine

Don't worry about the graphics, I made some nice ones for the pack I've made already

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi thanks these work as well as the last bunch for me but better than what I can save due to the bugs my end -this is the main problem for me and what makes it impossible to save new NKS presets (although I can use existing ones):

It's not the template - I think it may be Ventura or recent changes in KK/Mas - it's not format as the VST2 does the same and switching between Rosetta and Native also makes no difference. Anyway I have reported it to Valhalla and NI - UberMod is the oldest and least updated of their plugins so it may be due to an older plugin framework (although another old one - Shimmer - is not affected)

However if these work better for you then these are the ones I will include in the pack - many thanks for all your help

• Home Studio
    Home Studio Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options

😎 Thank you all

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 416 Guru
    Options

Been very busy with work, but I'd be interested to know if anyone is interested in a big update for Expressive E's Lie?

I'm doing this for myself anyway, but I wondered if it was useful for anyone else.

• jggorman
    jggorman Member Posts: 108 Helper
    edited February 2023
    Options

Is a tool to convert a VST2 NKS preset to a VST3 NKS preset really out of the realm of possibilities? I have some of my own presets that make updating those synths' presets a highly unattractive prospect—so much so that I am sticking with VST2 for some synths.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,625 Expert
    Options

I have a way to convert my presets from VST2 to VST3, it is not simple (because there are many data checks in the NKS files that cause the file to not even display if any one of them fail) and the issue is firstly, the control template needs to be completely redone in most cases because everything is different, so that has to be applied. Takes a lot of studying hex code and hours of trial and error to nail things down to even try and work.

Second, there is no guarantee it will even work even if the files appear to be valid. For instance, the Analog Lab update I just did took over a month running on 2 separate computers because the way I update VST2 to VST3 just would not work for that plugin. It has worked for Cherry Audio, Korg and Spectrasonics tho all these needed new controller maps to be redone again.

The preset would load the Analog Lab plugin but would not load the preset data, every preset had to be loaded, searched for the match in Analog Lab, then resaved, a process which was slow over 13,000 files and while it was automated it was about the same amount of time as just resaving everything, however I just did not want to lose the tagging I had done so I had to come up with a way to do the update without going insane.

So short answer is it's not as easy as just "converting" since most developers seem to have given little care to keep parameters and elements needed the same between VST2 and 3. In most cases, the actual raw preset data is the exact same, however as I found, some plugins (like Analog Lab) don't recognise the data from the VST2 plugin or have an additional data check that voids the data if it was not saved out using the VST3 plugin so the whole "VST Standard" IMO is a complete mess.