NKS Development Discussion

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

No problem - that's what this thread is for - many minds are better than one :)

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023

Now we have accumulated a huge amount of VST3 NKS templates and conversions I plan to do a reorganisation of the NKS User Library this weekend if I have time. It will mean older links no longer work but on the other hand everything will hopefully be more easy to browse - the VST3 folder is getting too big so I plan to divide it into sub categories and also relegate the older VST2 NKS banks to their own folder as well to make the VST3 more prominent.

I'd also like to integrate the stuff people have uploaded into their own folders into one central place if that's OK with everyone? - we'll keep those folders for further uploads though.

• jggorman
    jggorman Member Posts: 165 Advisor

I noticed some changes to thumbnail/folder behavior also. Jester (Jason) will know from freelance labs.

Maybe this below addresses it also?

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/maschine-2-8-user-sample-icon-thumbnails-require-vendor-to-be-native-instruments.354019/

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod

indeed a more organized structure would be much more helpful and accurate!

(...and hopefully, this ancient Albino template will finally rest on some sub-sub-sub-folder! LOL) -just joking- :-)

• Sunborn

nope, this is a 3 year old post and it has to do with user samples, not NKS

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023

Working on VST3 updates for Eventide Instant Phaser and Flanger, Klanghelm SDRR2 and Valhalla Vintage Verb 3 (which just came out) next

• Kymeia

Just slightly updated graphics so please dl again if you already did

• Guy Brown
    Guy Brown Member Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2023
  • Sunborn

Hello Guy and welcome to our common effort! 🙂

The DS Tantra 2 presets was already posted, here:

Just to be on the same page, please check all previous comments and take a look what was already done, here:

1- Kymeia's public folder (most of stuff are already there, by other authors too)

2- My public folder

3 - Older stuff (VST2 only) by jhorology

Other users (Christos Adamos, Mercury, Vaggus, to name a few) has also shared an enormous amount of folders but i don't have the links at hand, you will find them in the previous comments.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,888 Expert

Not to take away from the community efforts but there is also a large amount available that has had a lot of work put into it over the last 8 years especially in regards to tagging and control layouts to offer convenience especially for the blind community who need a good setup:

Unfortunately I cannot offer my time for free because I have a lot of overheads to maintain and taxes to pay and I tend to freelance on the edge and liaise with a lot of developers directly which I can't really discuss exactly who, but would not be able to cover so many instruments without the help and approval developers and the generous support of users over the years, without it it would be impossible to maintain.

• Kymeia

Yes the advantage of having clear and consistent layouts and tagging for visually impaired users is very important, that's one of the things NI have not done a bad job of (although there is room for improvement) but it also helps if we all tag consistently as I've often argued.

• Kymeia

Work in progress

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,888 Expert

Yes the advantage of having clear and consistent layouts and tagging for visually impaired users is very important, that's one of the things NI have not done a bad job of (although there is room for improvement) 

Actually, that's one of the leading complaints I hear from blind users that the templates NI and official NKS partners offer are "performance" based and so have as few controls as possible that affect only the direct timbre of the sound. I ahve even been asked numerous times if I can "reprocess" or update existing NKS instruments with a new template so they can actually make use of the instruments better.

Blind users have a different need than us sighted users and I have spoken with hundreds over the years to learn more about what they really need. Tagging (good tagging) and access to as much of the synth as possible, especially the ability to disable/enable effects is important and often much of this is missing when mapped so this is why I invest a LOT of hard time tagging things and designing and labelling templates because they need the labels to be clean for the text to speech side to work efficiently especially when faced with 30 pages of parameters. Getting the right order where it is not cumbersome for everyone to access those important performance/filter/envelope controls while still having control available for modulations, oscillators and effects is also a challenge.

Making NKS files is usually the quick and simple part, tagging and testing control templates is the long process and that's where some plugins can take literally months to finalise as tagging is insanely boring and laborious work as many will attest to, and why many (even official libraries) don't bother with much deep tagging.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

I had a chat with one developer about 18 months ago; just got in touch and said "NKS is really important for blind/visially impared users". They were more than happy to jump on a call, and when I explained that deeper tagging (or more specific) was absolutely helpful to this group of users and why, they couldn't agree more. Sinc then, they spend much more time tagging their instruments, which are all NKS. I didn't move mountains - just opened a window.

Propper tagging is not just a courtesy, it's essential as far as I'm concerned.

• Kymeia
    edited January 2023

I was thinking more in terms of how NI have made KK accessible in the first place, it is not that common for companies to completely ignore visually impaired users, at least NI have built the platform - the implementation part is what is sometimes lacking. I find some mappings by third parties very poor - Dune 2/3 for example cover almost nothing beyond the bare minimum (in fact I released an alternate version of Dune 2 for that reason). In my own I try to strike a balance between comprehensive and performance but go more in the comprehensive direction than most third party and some NI implementations.