How can I fix VST2 to VST3 migration ?

Options
joethesnowman
joethesnowman Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

On all of my projects on Ableton, I used a lot of Komplete's VST2. But after some updates, they migrated to VST3 and now Ableton just tells me he can't find them even though they are there.

Also, some VST3 that used to work perfectly fine are now just not working anymore like Super8. Ableton is up to date, plugins are too. I work on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Some images to show you what Ableton and native tell me are attached. Second image translates to : The VST2 plug-in could not be found.

Any advice on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated !

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,784 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Super8 VST3 is just discontinued - you need to use the Reaktor version, as Reaktor is Silicon Native.

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,917 mod
    Options

More people will tell you to ditch Komplete Kontrol 3.xx completely unless you have a specific reason since they say that it has no advantage ! Read this discussion from here and forward !

As for the Ableton problem then if you choose to continue then as is then maybe what you need is a full re-scan in Ableton ? (Deep-rescan all installed plug-ins. To start a deep rescan, hold ALT/Option and click "Rescan.")

Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 - Last VST2 supported version

How to Keep Komplete Kontrol 2.9 and Komplete Kontrol 3 on Your System – Native Instruments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 611 Pro
    Options

VST2 going away has been known about and warned about for several years now.

I can't confirm if Ableton Live 12 actually does away with it because I've been reviewing all of my VSTs anyway, and I've been removing my VST2 folders from that concatenation in all of my hosts. I've been doing the same with my 32 Bit VSTs too, so that I don't run into any "already known" incompatibilities.

If you have older projects that rely heavily on those old plugins, then my best recommendation to you is to get on your vendors' cases about keeping their VSTs up to date. If you have a vendor who can't or won't do that, then it may be time to render any tracks you have to audio tracks, and disable the VST2 instrument. And/or maybe find an alternate vendor for those sounds. After all, you might want to do a 25-year anniversary version remix one day. Reduce your own future friction. And do note that a lot of instruments will have competitor vendors out there; some good, others not so much.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,784 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Super8 VST3 is just discontinued - you need to use the Reaktor version, as Reaktor is Silicon Native.