Adding The S49 Mk3 to My S88 Mk1 Setup

Options
KingKonga
KingKonga Member Posts: 40 Member

OK. I have the S88 Mk1 running on Ver. 2.6.9, and as you know, will NOT run on Ver. 3.x.x. I actually bought it THINKING it was a Mk2. My Bad. So, I'm wondering what would be the advantages/disadvantages of adding the S49 Mk3 to drive my S88? Also, what are my limitations? CAN my S88 run on the Mk3 backbone. I'm not sure what other questions to ask. Maybe you can suggest issues that I should be aware of.

Thanks,

Tagged:

Best Answer

• KingKonga
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Mykejb,

I suspected that. So, I'm assuming that Kontact ver. 2.6.9 that Mk1 runs on, which I really don't use that much, can't coexist along side ver. 3.x.x. However, I'm also assuming anything in the library (Kontact Stnd) in the Mk3 can and will be triggered by my Mk1. If I was recording a part from my Mk1, would I press the Record button on IT, or would the Record button on the Mk3 work? Thanks again.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,222 mod
    Options

Adding a MK3 keyboard won't make the Mk1 work any differently. Well, it kind of will because you'll have to install Komplete Kontrol 3 at which point your MK1 turns into dumb MIDI controller with no named parameter displays, no lightguide etc. If you need an 88 key bed that integrates with the latest NI software your only real option is buy a MK3 S88.

• KingKonga
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Mykejb,

I suspected that. So, I'm assuming that Kontact ver. 2.6.9 that Mk1 runs on, which I really don't use that much, can't coexist along side ver. 3.x.x. However, I'm also assuming anything in the library (Kontact Stnd) in the Mk3 can and will be triggered by my Mk1. If I was recording a part from my Mk1, would I press the Record button on IT, or would the Record button on the Mk3 work? Thanks again.

• KingKonga
    Options

I still have some other questions re: S88/Mk1, Ver. 2.6.9, and Komplete 14 Stnd. 1st Quest. ARE those 2 ver. compatible, and if so, how well? As I mentioned earlier, I'm using SO6.5.2. Finally, is there any solution, or advantage to using S45/Mk3 with my Mk1 just as a "dummy" controller?